• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can a second story door lead to a flat roof without a railing?

SJP415

Hi all - we have an unusual project in San Diego where we converted a garage by adding a second story to it under CA's new granny flat law. To do this we had to step the second story in on two sides due to setbacks and being right on the property line. This left us with a big blank flat roof on two sides that we are not allowed to make into any kind of usable space. My question is can we still somehow have a door here to get out onto the roof for access - maybe we call it "roof access door" or something like that? Logically this should be small roof deck with a railing but the city won't allow it. But it would be nice to go out there and not have to use a ladder to access it for service etc. The inspector said the city might allow a door but it has to be 2' off the ground, he also mentioned some other kind of door that would have a barrier on the exterior...thanks in advance for any ideas that might be able to make this work, much appreciated.

6sat61.jpg

Along with the Building Codes, common sense goes a long way. A door to a flat roof without a railing seems to me like an invitation for someone to go out there and an accident waiting to happen.

notify your liability insurance and see how it goes over

put a window and if they climb out hmm....

Dang guess I cannot look at the stars or the fireworks on the roof anymore,,,

What next seatbelts in cars???

Do I also see a ladder to the second floor roof?
It comes down to risk management and the next door neighbors privacy.

So you can do it as long as it is not more than 30" from the "grade below" according to the 2015 IRC

R312.1.1
Guard
s shall be located along open-sided walking surfaces, including stairs, ramps and landings, that are located more than 30 inches (762 mm) measured vertically to the floor or grade below at any point within 36 inches (914 mm) horizontally to the edge of the open side. Insect screening shall not be considered as a guard.

Logically this should be small roof deck with a railing but the city won't allow it.

Was a roof deck and railing presented to the city that meets code?

Would a roof garden be allowed on the flat roof or state required solar panels?

“””This left us with a big blank flat roof on two sides that we are not allowed to make into any kind of usable space. My question is can we still somehow have a door here to get out onto the roof for access - maybe we call it "roof access door" or something like that? Logically this should be small roof deck with a railing but the city won't allow it.”””

Ok get out of left and right field and aim for center

City says no, so when the city says no, what do you do.

BIG a s window

Hi folks - we are fine putting a railing in if it would be allowed. Just trying to find out what code to reference for this situation...is there anything at all that mentions access to a roof or equipment on a residential roof?

Was a roof deck and railing presented to the city that meets code?

Would a roof garden be allowed on the flat roof or state required solar panels?

Yes we asked and were told the roof could not be used for anything, no decks, no roof garden, no solar, etc.

“””This left us with a big blank flat roof on two sides that we are not allowed to make into any kind of usable space. My question is can we still somehow have a door here to get out onto the roof for access - maybe we call it "roof access door" or something like that? Logically this should be small roof deck with a railing but the city won't allow it.”””

Ok get out of left and right field and aim for center

City says no, so when the city says no, what do you do.

BIG a s window
I wish it was that easy - the bottom portion of the window up to a certain height cannot be operable so you would still have to climb over...

IN CA
A guardrail will be required whenever a new or replacing mechanical unit is located within 10ft of a roof edge or open side of a walking surface and such edge or open side is located more than 30 inches above floor, roof, or grade below (1013.6 CBC). The guard must be designed to resist a load of 50lb/ft applied along any direction and resist a single concentrated load of 200lb applied along direction at any point of the top guardrail. (ASCE 7-10 Chapter 4.5.1) Access to roof top equipment shall follow section CMC 304.2.

Do I also see a ladder to the second floor roof?
It comes down to risk management and the next door neighbors privacy.
Yes that's a ladder that goes the roof above there. We're fine putting a railing in and all that but then I think they're going to view it as a possible roof deck once it has a railing and therefore not allow it.

Is it not allowed because of support issues or slope issues, What's the code reference used for refusal or is it a zoning thing?

Hi folks - we are fine putting a railing in if it would be allowed. Just trying to find out what code to reference for this situation...is there anything at all that mentions access to a roof or equipment on a residential roof?

More than likely not there

I wish it was that easy - the bottom portion of the window up to a certain height cannot be operable so you would still have to climb over...

Is it minimum two feet off the ground??

Most people can step over that

Which people would be accessing the roof????

I guess just submit it showing a door and see if it flies.

So far for that city you have the inspectors opinion only.

Ok, you have an inspectors observed opinion but your permit said what?
Our permit shows a 3' x8' fixed window - I wanted to see if I could change it to a door legitimately vs just changing it to a door after inspection. Trying to do things by the book but the city and inspectors make it complicated sometimes.

yep, maybe resubmit showing a door.

Not sure if the code says anything about having a door??? do not label it or anything.

If asked, say access to do roof related work, clean the gutters etc, worst id they say know, and back to a very large open able window.