• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can you say cluster f&^%?

= = = = =

texas transplant:

When are you going to start taking Uncle Bob's advice, "Inspectors the less you know the easier your job is".
The Marines [ and all former Marines ] don't take no crappy seconds!.....Do it right or get out of the way and letsomeone else who will do it right! :eek:

= = = = =

There are no "former Marines"! Once a Marine ALWAYS a Marine!

docgj

docgj said:
Jar,What kind of reaction did you get from homeowner/contractor? Are they receptive to cleaning up this mess? Or are they giving you a hard time? This is always the way we do it?

docgj
The owner is the one doing the work although he paid someone to install the LVLs.

He appears to want to be compliant but he is so clueless I am not sure how I want to handle this one. I see lots of re-inspection fees in his future.

At least you have that on your side. Projects I have that look that bad...Can't understand what is wrong. It's my house what does it matter?

docgj

We had an inspector come in from the field the other day saying that he told a home owner that the only thing correct with their plumbing was that they (apperently) used the right glue.

Otherwise, it all had to come out.

They eventually hired a real plumber (finally).

Why is there never enough money to do it right, but there always seems to be enough money to do it over? No room at the Inn for incompetent owners.

A few inspections, resulting in correction notices, will often yield a good result with a willing party. If the guy is mentally competent, (hard to tell by the pictures), and if one is willing to invest a little more time than usual, it can be rewarding to help a guy out. Building inspection departments should not take the position that they cater exclusively to the industry, but not the citizentry.

Still, if you have to start out explaining the concept of gravity, and deem the person totally incompetent, I would not hesitate to tell him to consult a professional. I have, in a couple of extreme cases of incompetence involving multiple inspections, used citations, disconnection of utilities, and even the implementation of condemnation proceedings to force the issue that it is sometimes cheaper to hire a professional and get the help needed than to exasperate the building inspection process.

jar546 said:
Also, on the gable end they cut out the wall to open up into the back porch. Problem is that the back porch has a shed style roof so now nothing is holding up the house side of the roof.You should just see this place. Quite a mess. Pics are the tip of the iceberg.
Hey, you didn't tell me you were visiting my jurisdiction. Removal of the wall between kitchen and porch, then enclose, is common here.

Sue, Gee, why is the roof sagging? :-D

In the second picture, can someone tell me why the riser on the left is connected to the riser on the right? In case one riser backs up, it can flow into the other?

Show some respect people. Everyone has small oversights on a project from time to time and codes do change, maybe the guy doesn't have some of the recent code changes down yet. Besides, I'm sure this individual has been doing things this way for 20-30 years, just ask him. ZIG

keep them coming! These are sweet!

Was the contractor(s) there while you were doing the inspection or were you left alone to roam freely?

Mech said:
In the second picture, can someone tell me why the riser on the left is connected to the riser on the right? In case one riser backs up, it can flow into the other?
Probably a revent. This entire job looks like a remodel that they are tearing out to make way for wall relocations and such.

The plumber should have thrown a couple of horizontal tees in with end plugs to get these guy's goin.

Still you got to look at the positives, Jar got a job out of this!

pc1