• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Cantankerous Old Man get Job

Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob got a job. :)

A cantankerous old man landed a job with a small city; City Inspector, chief cook and bottle washer. The pay is good; the people are great; God is in his Heaven; and my little world is back in order.

Maybe my disposition will improve. :D

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
That is great news, Uncle Bob that City is lucky to get you.

Keep up the good work and make them toe the line.

Last edited by a moderator:
UB: That is great! Now don't try to bring everything up to code on the first day. Rome wasn't built in a day and Oklahoma will take a few weeks. Remember us old timers need to teach while we get compliance. Are you going to inspect for all codes or just plumbing? Also, remember the code allows other things besides lead and oakum. LOL!

Mule, yep;

RJJ, I'm the whole department including zoning. Not making any changes; slow nudging in the right direction at first. We are rewriting the zoning; and, I will be working on adopting the State required codes when they come out next year.

Busy, busy, busy, and I love it.

Uncle Bob

Bootleg,

OOOOOOOKLAHOMA; where the tornados romp across the plains.

Uncle Bob

Congratulations Uncle Bob! Try not to abuse them too much initially! :D

Is your title "the BO", or the lowly inspector? Yes, yes, I know, ...Chief Cook

& Bottle Washer covers it all.

Your forum family wishes you the very best! Way to go! :wink:

Now I know why Oklahoma had and earth quake last week. It was just the fall out after UB's interview. This sounds like an adventure! Keep me posted I may need to apply for job as an assistant.

Attaboy UB! Since they are rewriting the zoning, you can bend them to your wil EERRRR ..... assist with the update!

As a one-man P&Z+BI dept myself I can attest to the plenty-to-do aspect, and I don't get but 16 hrs week out of this little town.

I also inspect for one that has a census population of 165. Need I point out that in some places the "sense of place" is well expressed, although these little entities do in fact struggle economically nowadays.

Here in GA we are still recovering from the collapse of King Cotton followed by the swift departure of textile/garment industry. About all that's left is bedroom community role for more urbane neighboring areas.

Congratulations UB - now who is this cantankerous old man that they are talking about? My wife said it would be me, but that I got my job 18 months ago, so guess we'll have to ponder who we're talking about.

Thank you all,

This is going to be a wonderful opportunity (rejuvenation) for me; and, I hope, an opportunity for all of you to be part of the development of a brand new Department of Building Safety.

I am starting out with a blank page; and am looking forward to assisting this AHJ; in writing a successful chapter for it's future. With the municipality starting over and writing a new zoning ordinance; and the State adopting and requiring municipalities to adopt new building codes next year; this is a great opportunity for us to be part of a new beginning.

This forum has been my lifeline; that has sustained me in period of emptiness in my life; and, now I feel honored to ask for your assistance.

Thanks for your best wishes,

Uncle Bob