• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Cardiac Rehab Fit Out

They really hate us in the field if the plan reviewer didn't do their job...

We love being hated.. :)

How would ya'll handle an Outpatient Physical Therapy office? I have physical

therapist that is desiring to move in to an existing tenant space. He "says"

there will not be any electrical equipment / devices in contact with his clients

( patients <--- ???? ), ...only battery operated "stuff", so no special electrical

wiring requirements ( Article 517 or NFPA 99 ). The Occupancy Group

designation will be a Type "B", small tenant space and that he is planning to

only plug in a telephone and a computer.

BTW, no plans have been submitted yet, just an initial "in-person" discussion

with a PT.

An associated question: M.D. prescribes physical therapy / rehab on his

surgical work ( i.e. - a prescription ). P.T. receives such prescription from

client ( patient <--- ???? ). Client / patient comes to P.T. place of

business to carry out doctor's orders and receive treatment / stretching /

examination of movements & capabilities. Is this considered medical

treatment? Are there any health care requirements from the NEC or

NFPA?

Ya'lls thoughts...

Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this considered medical treatment?
That is the defining question. If it is not medical treatment it is not a healthcare facility. Is the clinic or its practitioners licensed by the State under a health related regulation? Does it accept Medicaid/Medicare/Health Insurance payments? The Dr. "prescription" implies this is indeed medical treatment - it is not just a gym.

From 2008 NEC, Article 517:

Health Care Facilities. Buildings or portions of buildings in which medical, dental, psychiatric, nursing, obstetrical, or surgical care are provided. Health care facilities include, but are not limited to, hospitals, nursing homes, limited care facilities, clinics, medical and dental offices, and ambulatory care centers, whether permanent or movable.

Nothing in this definition has to do with a particular type of treatment or examination or the devices used to treat or examine. All that is needed to trigger 517 is that the space is used to provide medical care.

Patient Care Area. Any portion of a health care facility wherein patients are intended to be examined or treated. Areas of a health care facility in which patient care is administered are classified as general care areas or critical care areas. The governing body of the facility designates these areas in accordance with the type of patient care anticipated and with the following definitions of the area classification.

FPN: Business offices, corridors, lounges, day rooms, dining rooms, or similar areas typically are not classified as patient care areas.

General Care Areas. Patient bedrooms, examining rooms, treatment rooms, clinics, and similar areas in which it is intended that the patient will come in contact with ordinary appliances such as a nurse call system, electric beds, examining lamps, telephones, and entertainment devices.

Critical Care Areas. Those special care units, intensive care units, coronary care units, angiography laboratories, cardiac catheterization laboratories, delivery rooms, operating rooms, and similar areas in which patients are intended to be subjected to invasive procedures and connected to line-operated, electromedical devices.

Here the NEC differentiates between General Care and Critical Care. Once it is a Health Care Facility, anyplace patients are treated or examined is a patient care area. The only thing the type of equipment the patient comes in contact with influences is whether it is general or critical care. Note that "line operated" is specifically listed in critical care, but not in general care. Thus even battery operated equipment is included under general care. Only the total lack of contact with any "ordinary" appliances, not even a cell phone or Ipod (Amish health care???) might allow what is obviously a patient treatment or exam area to NOT follow NEC 517.

Dr. J.,

Thanks for the feedback! Your references, out of the NEC, are the ones that I have

been reviewing / contemplating.

Our state does not have any guidance as far as construction or facility [ medical ]

requirements, ...I just got off of the telephone with the state health department.

I am going to classify this Occupancy Group use as a Type "B", health care facility,

[ from Article 517.2 - Definitions, in the 2008 NEC ]. Not sure that I can actually use

the "General Care Area" definition though! The P.T. [ here ] stated that he would

only be using battery operated apparatus on his patients. If I "HAVE TO" choose

either the General Care Area or the Critical Care Area, I will choose the General

Care Area. I do not see any special electrical requirements for an existing tenant

space, ...no need for altering the wiring that I can find. Am I missing something?

Ya'lls thoughts...

Sorry about bringing back on old thread but I'm close to finding the answer to my question but not quite there. I don't agree with the DP that's telling me "The County will require hospital grade per 517" I haven't gotten a clear answer from the electrical plans reviewer that may be doing the review. (it's in budgeting stage right now) Understandably, he doesn't want to give me an answer until I can show him some plans.

It's a B use in an older office building. The tenant tests and treats people with allergies. The space was a similar use, doctor's office that does not have existing hospital grade anything. Most of the space will remain as-is with a few new "exam and treatment" rooms being added.

1) Would this type of office be considered a general care facility or patient care facility?

2) Am I correct that neither would require green ac cable and hospital grade devises?

3) There's a room that will have a CT scanner (to scan a person's sinuses) would that room require hospital grade even though it's not critical care?

4) Is there anything that I need to consider in regards to lighting?

Sorry about the basic questions...I don't have access to an NEC code book. Does a link to 517 exist? I found this but I don't know how old it is. Contractors’ Code Letter | NECA-NEIS

Any help would be appriciated.

I go to my allergist all the time, just regular doctors office

But he does not do ct's. sure they are not doing some day surgery also???

JPohling (and others),

So that there is a clearer definition of "green cable", please cite the applicable NEC Articles

& wiring types for the readers of this thread. Thank You !