• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

catheral cielings ridge beam

In my neck of the woods, cathedral ceilings mean no ceiling joists/rafter ties or collar ties. I require positive connections of the rafter to ridge beam, and the same rafter to top plate.

Rick18071 said:
Have a old permit that a previous inspector had approved the plans back in 2005 using 2003 IRC. Plans don't specify framing details. Already built with no inspection. It's a enclosed breezeway. Beam is 12'long resting on existing house and garage walls. Breezeway is 12' x 20'
The project is not such a big deal that you couldn't approve it with confidence in your own ability to build it strong.

After all, you have seen many examples of what it takes span 12' from house to garage.

You have an approved plan.

It has stood for eight years.

Approve this one and sit back.

More will come to light.

The question then becomes, "What about that breezeway that you approved?" "Why must I hire an engineer?"

Remember that engineers need to feed their families too.

It is never too late to start over.

DRP said:
3 pages in, I forget the question.
If you remove the prescriptive ties you need engineering to resist the forces resisted by the code required ties.

If you can structurally justify that in your area, without metal fasteners, all the best to you.

mark handler said:
Who said they are not?
That sounds like you can't find the section that requires it. and you can't : ). there are no prescriptive ties in a normal wind zone.See table 602.3(1) , items 4, 5 and 6

You are missing the point.there is a section of the code that requires ties.

the table of fasteners does not address that.

Nor does it address what is or is not required when the required ties are not provided.

mark handler said:
You are missing the point.there is a section of the code that requires ties.the table of fasteners does not address that.

Nor does it address what is or is not required when the required ties are not provided.
This sounds like the argument I get into a lot with contractors. Prescriptive codes generally tell you how you need to do things and then provide exceptions. It typically won't give you a list of things you can't do.

tmurray said:
... a list of things you can't do.
You mean like what happens when you omit a required object and then use a table or section to justify what you don't have to do?

unlike accepted structural principles

Last edited by a moderator:
mark handler said:
You are missing the point.there is a section of the code that requires ties.the table of fasteners does not address that.

Sorry, didn't read your post clearly; the table I provided nailing requirements from rafters to ridge

Yankee said:
..... didn't read your post clearly......
Now you know why I get so frustrated

01-frustrated-150x150-e1334855746849.jpg

I don't want to ask for engendering. It seems to me that by using the beam tables for a roof with ceiling attached for a ridge beam would be more than adequate. Someone told me there use to be a table for ridge beams in the code.

Rick18071 said:
I don't want to ask for engendering. It seems to me that by using the beam tables for a roof with ceiling attached for a ridge beam would be more than adequate. Someone told me there use to be a table for ridge beams in the code.
Tables 3-29A-D of the 2001 Wood Frame Construction Manual provides ridge beam spans.

At the risk of engendering the heat of ICE... I've seen palm trees in his pics, I haven't seen design loads or species and grade. Not saying he's wrong but I believe you just accepted structural sizing off the internet without all the variables known.

Older codebooks of mine didn't have ridgebeam tables... or even mention of ridgebeams. They did however have design values for multiple species and asked that I design according to accepted engineering practice. Which at that time was longhand using the table in the kitchen. I'd ask the homeowners if they would mind a quick free safety check of the real culprits like decks, respect but note their response, close the books and start from today. We had no inspections for older homes here, what's the difference?

We are constantly pushing the rafter tie issue here. In most cases we can tell them whats not compliant, give them the code approved options, give them the engineer option and at the end of the conversation they just go back to the same old argument; we never did that before, they don't make me do it over there, we ain't in no earthquake zone..etc, etc. Sometimes those arguments come from inside the building! I just keep plugging away. WFCM helps me the most. speaking of which they have a new 2012 edition but only in pdf so far (I want a printed version). I am interested to see if it will have any new stuff on this subject.

DRP said:
At the risk of engendering the heat of ICE... I've seen palm trees in his pics, I haven't seen design loads or species and grade. Not saying he's wrong but I believe you just accepted structural sizing off the internet without all the variables known.
Oh I'm cool with whatever you come up with.

I suppose I leave out a lot of technical stuff because I don't know a lot of technical stuff.

I know that you do.

So let me narrow it down some for the guy that was asking.

#2 or better of the brown wood at Home Depot. Brown is probably all that they have in 4x12.

If you're colorblind, go with a #1.

Oh wait a minute, yours is already built. Ask for a receipt.

I don't know why the OP can't get a simple surprise like the correct beam size and connections from the guys that know.

For myself...well i figured that he asked enough times that he might be serious.