• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

CBO Technology Exam

I just took the tech test on dec 23. Not to scare you but, I have been an electrical inspector for 14 years and I could not believe the NEC questions that they asked. They were questions that i would not expect a building official to know, I even had to look a few of them up. On the bright side, there are only 4 or 5 NEC questions. I had the most trouble with the plumbing questions. I did pass however, I am now a CBO!!

moose said:
I just took the tech test on dec 23. Not to scare you but, I have been an electrical inspector for 14 years and I could not believe the NEC questions that they asked. They were questions that i would not expect a building official to know, I even had to look a few of them up. On the bright side, there are only 4 or 5 NEC questions. I had the most trouble with the plumbing questions. I did pass however, I am now a CBO!!
As long as I can look them up! :inspctr Congrats on passing the exam.

I stressed over the exam for a year before i decided to take it. Just commited and conquered. I am a firm believer of going in with confidence and knowing where to find the informaiton more than knowing it on the top of your head. My staff do better in the inspeciton world if they know how to find the answer than trying to memorize everything and I feel the exams show this as well.

MIAMICOUNTY said:
I am now just starting to study for the Technology test. Any new tips from anyone? Thanks.

Rob England

Rob16u@aol.com

937-829-0662
Bump back to the top. I am still preparing to take the Tech part this fall and I signed up for the online campus practice course. I recommend this as it prepares you for a similar situation when you actually go to take the real one. It also includes a timed exam to hone your time management skills. I have done this for all four of my previous cert tests and have passed them all so far!! good luck to you with yours. Eric

Going to take the computer based test on November 9th in Grand Junction, CO with a big stack of code books. Oh boy!

"Going to take the computer based test on November 9th in Grand Junction, CO with a big stack of code books. Oh boy!"

It is a big stack, a two-wheeler would be handy! Good luck, keep us posted!

BTW, love the Gunny area, my lil sis lives there.....

Spoofman said:
I stressed over the exam for a year before i decided to take it. Just commited and conquered. I am a firm believer of going in with confidence and knowing where to find the informaiton more than knowing it on the top of your head. My staff do better in the inspeciton world if they know how to find the answer than trying to memorize everything and I feel the exams show this as well.
Sound advice.

:DPassed it! There was ALOT of questions that required an "educated guess" also they have gone to an on screen plan set for reference material that is about impossible to decipher. On to the legal/management module! :cowboy

Thanks. Definitely a load off! I was surprised at how off the radar the questions were. Not an easy test by any means.

I passed all the ICBO tests, B,P,M. & E, so I did not have to take the Tech part, just the Legal/Mngt. I was a tough test, just because of all the reference material possibilities.

Passed my CBO "Technology" test yesteday. A big weight off my shoulders. Now, on to the Electrical plans examiner i guess LOL.

HI all, any and all helpful information on the CBO Legal/Management portion of test would be very helpfull, i guess i am looking for more encouragement than anything else. Took and passed the Technaical a few years ago, and have been procrastinating ever since, time is running out for me to take said exam. Thanks

Welcome Chad. There are lots of CBO's here so I thought I would refresh the topic to try and get you some answers. You may also find the topic already discussed if you want to search the old threads.