• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Chapter 33 questions

Division 1 of the specifications often contain requirements for pedestrian barriers and other safety requirements. You could enforce them if they are more stringent than IBC chapter 33 requirements, and spelled out clearly enough that you don't have to interpret them.

A code official enforces the contract between the Owner and Builder at considerable financial peril.

If the objective is to protect pedestrians it helps to have a definition of pedestrian.

Chapter 11 definitions provides this:

PEDESTRIAN is an individual who moves within walking

areas with or without the use of walking-assistive devices such

as crutches, leg braces, wheelchairs, etc.

PEDESTRIAN WAY is a route by which a pedestrian may

pass.

Any person not inside a dwelling could be considered a pedestrian.

Some are more pedestrian than others.

Brudgers is not pedestrian.

In an apartment complex, the entire grounds are a pedestrian way with some exceptions such as swimming pools.

You can't find a code for every situation.

You have to deal with every situation.

Wing it.

I'll get flak here for saying that.

You will get flak there for doing that.

You will feel better than if you do nothing.

Trust me I have experience with this.

Besides that, it is Building/Safety that we work for and the pedestrians of the world count on us to do the right thing.

Then again maybe my way is not for you.

I speak from a unique position in that nobody wants my job.

Oh some want to take it away from me but those people couldn't do my job.

Anybody that can do my job knows better than to want to.

I get away with stuff.

You might not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't move the sidewalks any closer to the lot lines...unless you are also in charge of replats.

"A code official enforces the contract between the Owner and Builder at considerable financial peril."

A code official inspects to what is on the contract documents. If they call for a greater fire resistance or a larger beam than the code requires the inspector can and should reject lesser construction that meets the code but not the contract documents. How is this different?

Anyone not contracted to work on the project is "the public" and if they have access through a part of the construction, then you may at your desecration apply any and all of chapter 33 and even provide "protection" along the means of egress. Absolutely.

I am sure the contractor would much rather have a visit (and possible fines) from OSHA and a visit (and possible fines) from the DOE, than a simple phone call from the building department saying "we have received some complaints about the state of the job site....."

Heck, this is right by a wetland too. Seems like Department of Fish and Wildlife might want to visit the site too....

I will leave that to the original complainant to contact these OGA's though.

ICE said:
I get away with stuff.

You might not.
I am betting on "under 20 minutes" for the comments to appear regarding "making people dance for your amusement" and similar.....

Paul Sweet said:
"A code official enforces the contract between the Owner and Builder at considerable financial peril." A code official inspects to what is on the contract documents. If they call for a greater fire resistance or a larger beam than the code requires the inspector can and should reject lesser construction that meets the code but not the contract documents. How is this different?
Really? You enforce LEED waste disposal requirements?

You enforce pay request documentation?

Product substitution request procedures?

Insurance requirements?

Section 1 is administrative.

It's contractual, not construction.

Yankee said:
Anyone not contracted to work on the project is "the public" and if they have access through a part of the construction, then you may at your desecration apply any and all of chapter 33 and even provide "protection" along the means of egress. Absolutely.
So long as you are willing to do so improperly.

brudgers said:
So long as you are willing to do so improperly.
Explain why you believe it is improper?I have had a construction project on a church which "attached" to the second exit of an existing assembly area, and major renovations on a high school while it was in session, and I can guarantee you that I was properly "all over" the contractor to maintain safety devices on all exiting and pedestrian ways. It is part of the approval with the building permit.

righter101 said:
Thank you for your feedback. I was trying to determine whether or not the code addressed this specific situation and it is clear that it doesn't. The discussion from contributors was very helpful.I will simply refer this to OSHA if I feel unsafe conditions exist in this workplace, as it appears to fall under their purview.
You must go through lots of towels.

righter101 said:
Huh?? I must be as dense as brudgers thinks I am because I missed that one.Care to elaborate??
Five days later, you tossed in the towel.

There was more here but it was too strong for the reality of what I now know. Hell, except for a picture, you haven't even seen the site. This is all based on a tenant complaint.

Mail that tenant a copy of chapter 33 and let her handle it.

Thanks for the feedback ICE. You make a very good point. This situation is a bit unique, given our jurisdiction. I was sent a few pictures, as this site is on a different island, so I can't just swing by on a moments notice. I would have to plan a day trip or send the inspector from that island.

The contractor did put up some orange mesh fencing stuff to delineate the construction area, just not the barriers or guards as described in CH 33. That was my dilema, they put something up during construction but a tenant felt that it wasn't enough.

righter101 said:
just not the barriers or guards as described in CH 33.
The description includes the distance from the lot line. There is no dilemma except insofar one places compliance and make believe upon it's horns.

brudgers said:
The description includes the distance from the lot line. There is no dilemma except insofar one places compliance and make believe upon it's horns.
Can you simply not reply to postings that I make? It is clear you are unable to behave in a civil manner and provide anything other than dripping sarcasm.

​Brudgers. interesting that you didn't answer my question.

SECTION 3306 PROTECTION OF PEDESTRIANS

3306.1 Protection required. Pedestrians shall be protected during construction, remodeling and demolition activities as required by this chapter and Table 3306.1. Signs shall be provided to direct pedestrian traffic

Two places to look, Table 3306.1 AND/OR "this Chapter". You are not limited to just the table so continue looking in the chapter.

3306.2 Walkways. A walkway shall be provided for pedestrian travel in front of every construction and demolition site This does not say or mean that the "site" is the "property limits", it means the "construction site" unless the applicable governing authority authorizes the sidewalk to be fenced or closed. Walkways shall be of sufficient width to accommodate the pedestrian traffic, but in no case shall they be less than 4 feet (1219 mm) in width. Walkways shall be provided with a durable walking surface. Walkways shall be accessible in accordance with Chapter 11 and shall be designed to support all imposed loads and in no case shall the design live load be less than 150 pounds per square foot (psf) (7.2 kN/m2).3306.4 Construction railings.Construction railings shall be at least 42 inches (1067 mm) in height and shall be sufficient to direct pedestrians around construction areas. ​"Construction areas" are any place that construction is happening, including excavated areas, and the railing is there to "direct pedestrians around" . . .

Thanks Yankee. I am still (always) learning and when I come across something I am not well versed in, I ask others (staff, this forum, and other resources) for opinions their take on a code section. The discussion usually gives good insight in to the intent of the code, as well as why others support a certain POV over another.

I appreciate your previous post with a direct link how you reached your conclusion.

Thank you for the time and consideration in this matter.

righter101 said:
Can you simply not reply to postings that I make? It is clear you are unable to behave in a civil manner and provide anything other than dripping sarcasm.
I offer a full range of responses. Including sarcasm of course.

But also snark, irony, and plain rudeness.

I've even been known to use pompous self-righteousness.

Once, I was even helpful.

I was probably just off form.

Yankee said:
​Brudgers. interesting that you didn't answer my question. SECTION 3306 PROTECTION OF PEDESTRIANS 3306.1 Protection required. Pedestrians shall be protected during construction, remodeling and demolition activities as required by this chapter and Table 3306.1. Signs shall be provided to direct pedestrian traffic Two places to look, Table 3306.1 AND/OR "this Chapter". You are not limited to just the table so continue looking in the chapter. 3306.2 Walkways. A walkway shall be provided for pedestrian travel in front of every construction and demolition site This does not say or mean that the "site" is the "property limits", it means the "construction site" unless the applicable governing authority authorizes the sidewalk to be fenced or closed. Walkways shall be of sufficient width to accommodate the pedestrian traffic, but in no case shall they be less than 4 feet (1219 mm) in width. Walkways shall be provided with a durable walking surface. Walkways shall be accessible in accordance with Chapter 11 and shall be designed to support all imposed loads and in no case shall the design live load be less than 150 pounds per square foot (psf) (7.2 kN/m2).3306.4 Construction railings.Construction railings shall be at least 42 inches (1067 mm) in height and shall be sufficient to direct pedestrians around construction areas. ​"Construction areas" are any place that construction is happening, including excavated areas, and the railing is there to "direct pedestrians around" . . .
I thought you must have been just joking. I mean it didn't occur to me that you could be torturing the code so severely by accident. See the definition of "site" in the building code.

Consider writing it down 100 times so that you don't forget it...it's a pretty important concept.

In the future, when you think the code says what you wish it said, it's probably a sign that you haven't read the whole thing.