1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Composting Toilet

Discussion in 'Sewage' started by Flexo, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Flexo

Flexo Registered User

Our town does not issue it's own septic permits. We have a municipal wastewater system
    that does not service all areas of the town. Our County issues all of our septic permits by
    means of an inter-governmental agreement. We currently use the 2012 series of International
    Codes.

There is an existing home in a subdivision that has two unusable septic systems. The owner
    is seeking to install a composting toilet, since it would be substantially cheaper than a new
    septic system. I do understand that the waste water from this home still needs treatment,
    especially the sink water. I have read the old threads here regarding composting toilets.
    Our County septic people are willing to issue a permit for a composting toilet. I disagree
    with allowing them on a site that capable of having a septic system. Most modern people
    are not used to the intimacy with human waste that results from composting toilets. The IRC
    and IPC have no reference to composting toilets. From a Building Code perspective, how
    would you handle this issue or how does your City. Every few months I have somebody
    asking about the using composting toilets. Thanks!

2. cda

cda Sawhorse

Welcome

Not into outhouses,

Any ordinances requirng a septic system or tie into the city system ??

What are they going to do with the waste water ??

Plus, when a house goes for sale??? I know that is kind of not your problem.

3. Ty J.

Ty J. Sawhorse

Check with the local Health Department

4. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Sawhorse

P2602.1 General.
    The water-distribution and drainage system of any building or premises where plumbing fixtures are installed shall be connected to a public water supply or sewer system, respectively, if available. When either a public water-supply or sewer system, or both, are not available, or connection to them is not feasible, an individual water supply or individual (private) sewage-disposal system, or both, shall be provided.

INDIVIDUAL SEWAGE DISPOSAL SYSTEM. A system for disposal of sewage by means of a septic tank or mechanical treatment, designed for use apart from a public sewer to serve a single establishment or building.

Flexo likes this.
  5. JCraver

JCraver Sawhorse

This should be covered under your City/Town/Village code of ordinances, and you should be able to solve it without even opening an ICC book. Ours says something like "must be connected to a public sewer system or an approved private septic system". Approved is the key word there.

Flexo likes this.
  6. Flexo

Flexo Registered User

Thanks all of you. I appreciate the insight so far.