• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Composting Toilet

Flexo

Our town does not issue it's own septic permits. We have a municipal wastewater system
that does not service all areas of the town. Our County issues all of our septic permits by
means of an inter-governmental agreement. We currently use the 2012 series of International
Codes.

There is an existing home in a subdivision that has two unusable septic systems. The owner
is seeking to install a composting toilet, since it would be substantially cheaper than a new
septic system. I do understand that the waste water from this home still needs treatment,
especially the sink water. I have read the old threads here regarding composting toilets.
Our County septic people are willing to issue a permit for a composting toilet. I disagree
with allowing them on a site that capable of having a septic system. Most modern people
are not used to the intimacy with human waste that results from composting toilets. The IRC
and IPC have no reference to composting toilets. From a Building Code perspective, how
would you handle this issue or how does your City. Every few months I have somebody
asking about the using composting toilets. Thanks!

Welcome

Not into outhouses,

Any ordinances requirng a septic system or tie into the city system ??

What are they going to do with the waste water ??

Plus, when a house goes for sale??? I know that is kind of not your problem.

P2602.1 General.
The water-distribution and drainage system of any building or premises where plumbing fixtures are installed shall be connected to a public water supply or sewer system, respectively, if available. When either a public water-supply or sewer system, or both, are not available, or connection to them is not feasible, an individual water supply or individual (private) sewage-disposal system, or both, shall be provided.

INDIVIDUAL SEWAGE DISPOSAL SYSTEM. A system for disposal of sewage by means of a septic tank or mechanical treatment, designed for use apart from a public sewer to serve a single establishment or building.

This should be covered under your City/Town/Village code of ordinances, and you should be able to solve it without even opening an ICC book. Ours says something like "must be connected to a public sewer system or an approved private septic system". Approved is the key word there.

We have the same problem. Another problem is that nobody cares about it and nobody knows the rules. 2 years ago the owner also wanted to install composting toilets and he actually did it because nobody stopped him. Now we live with Sun-Mar... I hope someday we will move from this town with awful conditions.

Sun-Mar-Excel-Composting-Toilet-4.jpg

What brand is this, need one for our barn.

P2712.1 Approval. Water closets shall conform to the water
consumption requirements of Section P2903.2 and shall conform
to ASME A112.19.2/CSA B45.1, ASME A112.19.3/
CSA B45.4 or CSA B45.5/IAPMO Z124.