• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Contractors and education, take 2

Around here most of the design and build firms that do a reasonable amount of business have staff that know the codes and provide cheat sheets for any details that the construction crews need. And since most of the designs have "common" design solutions to code issues the crews gain experience by seeing the same design solutions time after time. This makes it easier for the designers, builders, and inspectors.

Smaller firms or firms that do a lot of one-off designs will always have difficulty. If the AHJ's office wants to have a better relationship with them, the AHJ's office could provide a list of code changes and what paperwork and construction changes are needed. No offense but if the AHJ's and inspectors who post here are asking code questions it seems a bit much to expect that contractors will understand the code.

If you want contractors to build better (dare I say code compliant) homes you need to go to the end user. The builder, and I'm generalizing here, sees you (BO) standing in the way of their profits. As you well know building officials get sold down the river on a regular basis as kill joys to fun parts of the project and as added expense to others. If the end user was as desirable to have a safe and well built home as they are to granite counter tops and 24 jet shower stalls your job would be much simpler. Unfortunately I don't see the ICC spending any money in that direction. Too busy getting a MOU with Chiruvistan or some other place. I have a job that puts me between builders, architects and building officials...it can get pretty interesting. It's easier to pull a chain than to push one, same way for people.

Also remember as I have learned. You are coming from a perspective where, ya it can happen and I've seen it as opposed to aw, that will never happen.