• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

converting shipping containers to housing.

George Shaw

Have any of you had permitting and/or inspection experience with this? A contractor is considering "building" a house using them and it's unusual to say the least. Do you require engineering for any alterations such as adding windows stairs, etc.

It's in the 2021 building code. I have amended out that entire section and the reference within the residential code. Not permitted within this municipality. But good luck.

Have any of you had permitting and/or inspection experience with this? A contractor is considering "building" a house using them and it's unusual to say the least. Do you require engineering for any alterations such as adding windows stairs, etc.
I’ve seen permit drawings approved by the building department for a single-family house made from two containers with stick-framed additions, drawings were sealed by the architect and a structural engineer. The containers were pretty heavily modified, they cut in several windows, the large opening connecting to the stick-framed addition, and an opening for the stairs.

I read somewhere online that some jurisdictions require that the containers be new, I guess there’s some concern about hazardous materials that may have been spilled in the containers, check with your building department on that.

The issue is that the structure is not prescriptively compliant, and usually the client wants irritating changes like doors and windows - which require taking a grinder/plasma cutter and carving holes.

Construction in our jurisdiction requires
a) Design by an engineer who will certify the altered construction will be structurally sufficient
b) Considerable detail on the insulation.

Most folks completely forget insulation - where's it gonna be? If it's on the outside, now you need to show us how you're going to clad/roof the house. Most folks want inside insulation. That's nice. Show us that the heights are going to be compliant once you install the required R26 on floor and ceiling. (Hint: that's five inches of foam, plus at least half an inch of something covering said foam, which means you've lopped off 11" off the floor to ceiling height. Want two containers side-by-each? OK. How are you going to deal with the thermal break? Now you're cutting more width to add insulation on all sides, to account for doors and things. And if you're joining two of them side by side, now you've got a water-shedding issue. Better show that detail. And since you probably can't meet that requirement easily, that may require specialized design and/or installation.

The end result is that if people do the research, they will realize that container homes are stupid expensive and largely impractical.
After outlining all the above requirements, I had one client build with containers. They've gone from four to two, and largely stalled because they've realized the cost-effective myth is just that. They'd have been in a much larger, more functional home if they'd have done a traditional stick build, or even done something funky like ICF.

The other issue is that insulating these buildings on the inside places the vapour barrier on the wrong side of the assembly in heating climates.

A small stick-built structure using the same dimensions as the container, would be much more cost effective.

I had a few people ask about it every year and have not had a single project come to reality once they encounter all the issues.

This is a good post on various practical issues that a person will encounter when doing a container house.

The end result is that if people do the research, they will realize that container homes are stupid expensive and largely impractical.
A client (former general contractor turned developer) shared his thought that he didn’t see any cost savings, he said he would stick frame the structure and use metal siding and essentially achieve the same look and save money.

Most folks completely forget insulation - where's it gonna be? If it's on the outside, now you need to show us how you're going to clad/roof the house. Most folks want inside insulation. That's nice. Show us that the heights are going to be compliant once you install the required R26 on floor and ceiling. (Hint: that's five inches of foam, plus at least half an inch of something covering said foam, which means you've lopped off 11" off the floor to ceiling height. Want two containers side-by-each? OK. How are you going to deal with the thermal break? Now you're cutting more width to add insulation on all sides, to account for doors and things. And if you're joining two of them side by side, now you've got a water-shedding issue. Better show that detail. And since you probably can't meet that requirement easily, that may require specialized design and/or installation.
In my mind insulation is the big issue and how that eats up the space inside the container. The drawings I mentioned in #5 specify 9’-6” high containers (from bottom of floor to top of the sides of the box) with 2” of closed-cell spray foam and 7.5” batt insulation in the ceiling, they ended up with 8’ 3 1/4” to the bottom of the framing. They used 1” of spray foam and 3.5” batt insulation on the walls, the plan does not call out the clear width of the spaces in the container. Section has a note that the top of the box is sloped to the sides and elevations call out a “membrane” roof but no details.

How are you going to deal with the thermal break?
I’ve seen houses online with continuous, exposed roof framing members going through largely glazed walls, I have wondered if they have a problem with condensation in the winter.

ICC Evaluation Service (ICC-ES) recently updated AC462 Structural Building Materials from Intermodal Shipping Containers to address new requirements for intermodal shipping containers provided in the 2021 IBC Chapter 31 Special Construction, Section 3115 Intermodal Shipping Containers. ICC-ES AC462 and the resulting ICC-ES evaluation reports also complement the ICC G5 2019 Guideline for the Safe Use of ISO Intermodal Shipping Containers Repurposed as Buildings and Building Components.

Shipping containers are currently being repurposed and converted into a variety of residential, commercial, and industrial facilities including office buildings, storage units, pop-up restaurants and even temporary hospital or medical facilities. ICC-ES has issued a number of evaluation reports to AC462 to date for a variety of satisfied clients.

It's in the 2021 building code. I have amended out that entire section and the reference within the residential code.
Chapter 31 section 3115.1

I would have omitted that section too but the code was already adopted here.

Code concerns aside, why does everybody want to live in shipping containers? I field questions on this several times a year. I personally have no inclination to live in an over sized dumpster.

There is a house two miles from me that used 14 containers. It looks like a fire station to me. They named it PV14 and have a website for it.

Code concerns aside, why does everybody want to live in shipping containers? I field questions on this several times a year. I personally have no inclination to live in an over sized dumpster.
I thinks it's a novelty thing, kinda like having a flying car, you have one and I don't.

My gut feeling? It's performative Mother-Earth feel-goodery that ain't actually doing squat-diddle for Mother Earth and is probably doing six times worse than some of the other building techniques out there.... or ....

If only we didn't have a carbon sequestering building material that is relatively cheap and widely available...

.... what he almost said.

I heard on the news the other day there was a lady trapped in one, surely they have to meet egress requirements?

ICE, have you inspected any with a solar array on top?:cool:

Anyone know of any structural failures in homes built of shipping containers?
Just the ones that didn't clear the low bridge overpass!

That may be considered a mobile shipping container home, there's a difference, right?

My gut feeling? It's performative Mother-Earth feel-goodery that ain't actually doing squat-diddle for Mother Earth and is probably doing six times worse than some of the other building techniques out there.... or ....
“An empty 40' shipping container weighs 8380 pounds. A galvanized steel stud weighs a pound per linear foot. These two containers, melted down and rolled and formed, could have been upcycled into 2,095 8' long steel studs. Framing the walls instead of using shipping containers would have used about 144 of them. Using shipping containers as structural elements for a one storey building is downcycling and wasting of a resource.”

From this article:

“An empty 40' shipping container weighs 8380 pounds. A galvanized steel stud weighs a pound per linear foot. These two containers, melted down and rolled and formed, could have been upcycled into 2,095 8' long steel studs. Framing the walls instead of using shipping containers would have used about 144 of them. Using shipping containers as structural elements for a one storey building is downcycling and wasting of a resource.”

From this article:

Does it matter the foundation fur a shipping container can be 4 piers and got 144 studies a 96' wall?

The author clearly has likes and dislikes and seems intolerant of others' likes and dislikes.

From this article:

That's a helluva moving article, isn't it? (I did the math: using steel studs, you could build 14.5 homes of a similar size occupied by the two shipping containers from which those studs could have been derived.)

FYI, I am the alternative building nerd in our office. I am building a house out of stone, off-grid. So the general dislike I have of container homes is based on some passion/attachment/knowledge of alternative building systems.

Does it matter the foundation fur a shipping container can be 4 piers and got 144 studies a 96' wall?

The author clearly has likes and dislikes and seems intolerant of others' likes and dislikes.
For sure, everyone writing about it online has their opinion and some people might be blindly intolerant of what other people prefer, maybe one day they will learn to at least try to see things from the other person’s perspective.

Walker.t, thanks for posting that article!
You’re welcome!

FYI, I am the alternative building nerd in our office. I am building a house out of stone, off-grid. So the general dislike I have of container homes is based on some passion/attachment/knowledge of alternative building systems.
If your firm was interested you could market that passion and knowledge and maybe find some clients who would pay for a design with alternative building features.

If your firm was interested you could market that passion and knowledge and maybe find some clients who would pay for a design with alternative building features.

I'm a building inspector. I have considered a retirement gig teaching myself how to use some kind of design software and doing design, mind you. It's not like the bar is set very high around here.