1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

cooking demonstration kitchen

Discussion in 'Mechanical Codes' started by Flexo, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Flexo

Flexo Registered User

There is a business that wants to open soon in town. As I understand things they will be selling cookware and as part of the business they will be setting up a cooking area to demonstrate the use of their products. They intend to use residential appliances and hood. This is not residential, nor a restaurant. What would you require?

2. cda

cda Sawhorse

Type I hood with system

3. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

What are they "Cooking"?

4. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Registered User

Class K fire extinguisher and nothing else
    906.4 Cooking equipment fires.
    Fire extinguishers provided for the protection of cooking equipment shall be of an approved type compatible with the automatic fire-extinguishing system agent. Cooking equipment involving solid fuels or vegetable or animal oils and fats shall be protected by a Class K-rated portable extinguisher in accordance with Sections 906.1, Item 2, 906.4.1 and 906.4.2 as applicable.

5. Ty J.

Ty J. Sawhorse

I'd expect to see a Type 1 hood.

6. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

If it is not "grease and smoke" nor medium duty or higher appliance, Type I not required and they might be able to take caRE OF THE HEAT WITH THE hvac...darned FAT FINGERS....

7. e hilton

e hilton Bronze Member

If they are not licensed as a restaurant, they should not need a full hood and system.

8. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

That is not what the IMC says....

9. Paul Sweet

Paul Sweet Sawhorse

This might be a Virginia amendment, since the on-line edition shows it in red print, but 505.4 allows electric domestic appliances in non-residential occupancies to have a domestic type hood. Fuel-fired appliances still need a Type I or II hood.

"Domestic" isn't defined, but it should fall outside the definition of "commercial" if the demonstration food isn't served after it is prepared.

10. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

So here is the real rub...Can you install a "residential" range in a "commercial" setting

301.7 Listed and labeled. Appliances regulated by this code shall be listed and labeled for the application in which they are installed and used, unless otherwise approved in accordance with Section 105.

11. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

We have a high school that is in the late stages of design. We met with the design team earlier this week, they pointed out that there is a classroon that has an adjoining kitchen. The purpose of the the setup is they will be teaching "life skills". There will be a residential stove/oven. They can't guarantee that there won't be any frying, so they are proposing installing a residential hood, fitted with an ansul system. The building is a Type I-B, fully sprinklered. We are having them submit the proposal in writing w/justification, so we would have that for the record. We are leaning towards accepting it.

Not trying to highjack the thread, just saying sometimes you need to think outside the box.

Ty J., steveray and rgrace like this.
  12. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

SECTION 505 DOMESTIC KITCHEN EXHAUST EQUIPMENT

Don't see a requirement in this section for a hood at all.

13. ICE

ICE Moderator

303.1 Listed Appliances. The installation of equipment and appliances regulated by this code shall be in accordance with the conditions of the listing, the manufacturer’s installation instructions and this code. The manufacturer’s installation and operating instructions shall be attached to the appliance. Clearances of listed equipment and appliances from combustible materials shall be as specified in the listing or on the rating plate.

Somewhere in there might be a prohibition of a commercial use for a listed residential appliance.

14. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

"Somewhere in there might be a prohibition of a commercial use for a listed residential appliance."

I don't think it is commercial, they are not preparing for for sale.

15. ICE

ICE Moderator

I don’t think it’s residential ‘cause it’s not in a house.

16. north star

north star Sawhorse

$ ~ $ ~ $

It is a Commercial business with a business model using Residential appliances & cookware.
    What I or anyone else on this Forum would require is irrelevant..........What the local Building &
    Fire Code Officials will require is the real question........I respectfully recommend that these
    2 Code Officials be contacted to obtain their requirements, ..."in writing" !

$ ~ $ ~ $

ADAguy, steveray and fatboy like this.
  17. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

The IMC does not have the words "residential" appliance only "domestic kitchen exhaust equipment". There is no definition of domestic in the IMC but there is a residential definition. Me thinks that by using the word "domestic" rather than "residential" there is nothing in the IMC to not allow a "domestic" cooking appliance in a commercial occupancy. We see them all the time in home ed and rehab centers.

18. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

If you are legally allowed to think outside of the box....Correct....Here we get sued for negligence...

19. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Registered User

COMMERCIAL COOKING APPLIANCES. Appliances used in a commercial food service establishment for heating or cooking food. For the purpose of this definition, a commercial food service establishment is where food is prepared for sale or is prepared on a scale that is by volume and frequency not representative of domestic household cooking.

I doubt they will be doing a volume and frequency of cooking that is more than my daughter house with 7 kids.
    The class K fire extinguisher and the demonstrator trained in how to use it is all they should need for fire protection. The HVAC system should be sized to handle the additional odors and small amounts of smoke that may be produced

20. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

That is a way better definition than the 2015 IMC....

COMMERCIAL COOKING APPLIANCES. Appliances
    used in a commercial food service establishment for heating
    or cooking food and which produce grease vapors, steam,
    fumes, smoke or odors that are required to be removed
    through a local exhaust ventilation system. Such appliances
    include deep fat fryers; upright broilers; griddles; broilers;
    steam-jacketed kettles; hot-top ranges; under-fired broilers
    (charbroilers); ovens; barbecues; rotisseries; and similar
    appliances. For the purpose of this definition, a food service
    establishment shall include any building or a portion thereof
    used for the preparation and serving of food.