• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Correct Classification of an indoor riding arena used for lessons, training and horse shows

jhallmann

The indoor arena is an Olympia Steel building 100 x 263. The original site plan and building plan approval required the installation of a water main and fire hydrant by the fire marshal. Now that the building is up, and nearly completed, the building inspector sent the plan back to fire for fire suppression. Fire marshal waived it, building sent it back saying my indoor arena required it. I am in Michigan, Macomb County. My township uses the Michigan 2015 Building code, which is based on the IBC 2015 with revisions. I am not versed in the construction world. The building department states I am commercial because of the horse shows. However, I did find that participant sports , including equestrian sports may have the sprinklers waived when meeting two criteria. I haven't found anything like that in the Michigan Code. Does one code refer to the other when they don't specify? Michigan Hunter Jumper Assoc goes to the United States Equestrian Federations rules if the association does not have a specific rule.

We are planning a viewing area with restrooms, but no office or vending area.

We have an existing 80 x 200 wood truss arena, the two butt up short side to short side. Two hour fire wall. The stable barn is separate, 100 x 200. There is a 30' wide drive between the old indoor and the stable barn. The corner of the new arena is probably 50 feet from the corner of the stable barn. Maybe a little more.

And yes, my farm is developed around and I live in the city now. But up until this sprinkler issue the township has been helpful. The sprinklers available to a non heated facility this size are just beyond my budget.

Any help or insights you can give will be so appreciated.

A "viewing area"? As in spectators? Shows? An arena with spectators would be classified as an A4. If the fire area (in your case the arena) exceeds 12,000sf² the IBC requires sprinklers. If no spectators, then an A3, but same fire area limit and still requires sprinklers...if the public is present (commercial). Similar question was asked of me by another AHJ yesterday. The codes don't really define commercial and residential. And that designation can be somewhat arbitrary. What it comes down to is which code books apply based on the use of the structure. If a structure is not a one or two family home, or a townhome, or a structure that is accessory to one of those types of structures, it is regulated by the IBC, and that is where the classification comes from, and from which all other requirements flow. It could have been someone's determination that this was accessory to a residential structure, but I would not view it that way if there was a spectator area. Was that in the original plan?

Unfortunate it made it through plan review without this being brought to your attention. What, if any, justification was given for the FD to "waive" the requirement, and how it made it though plan review? It also begs the question as to why the first arena is not sprinklered, or could it have started out as an accessory and morphed into an A use over time?

A "viewing area"? As in spectators? Shows? An arena with spectators would be classified as an A4. If the fire area (in your case the arena) exceeds 12,000sf² the IBC requires sprinklers. If no spectators, then an A3, but same fire area limit and still requires sprinklers...if the public is present (commercial). Similar question was asked of me by another AHJ yesterday. The codes don't really define commercial and residential. And that designation can be somewhat arbitrary. What it comes down to is which code books apply based on the use of the structure. If a structure is not a one or two family home, or a townhome, or a structure that is accessory to one of those types of structures, it is regulated by the IBC, and that is where the classification comes from, and from which all other requirements flow. It could have been someone's determination that this was accessory to a residential structure, but I would not view it that way if there was a spectator area. Was that in the original plan?

Unfortunate it made it through plan review without this being brought to your attention. What, if any, justification was given for the FD to "waive" the requirement, and how it made it though plan review? It also begs the question as to why the first arena is not sprinklered, or could it have started out as an accessory and morphed into an A use over time?
Isn't the 12,000sf limitation (and the OL one) overruled by the exception about participant sports areas? (this quote is the Ohio Building Code based on the IBC 2015, don't have access to the IBC language). This relates to my project also.

[F] 903.2.1.3 Group A-3

An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided for fire areas containing Group A-3 occupancies and intervening floors of the building where one of the following conditions exists:

1. The fire area exceeds 12,000 square feet (1115 m2).

Exception:
    1. Fire areas used exclusively for religious worship services with fixed seating.
  2. The fire area has an occupant load of 300 or more.

Exception:
    1. Fire areas used primarily for worship with fixed seating.
    2. Fire areas without fixed seating not used for exhibition or display; or
  3. The fire area is located on a floor other than a level of exit discharge serving such occupancies.

Exception: Areas used exclusively as participant sports areas where the main floor area is located at the same level as the level of exit discharge of the main entrance and exit.

Isn't the 12,000sf limitation (and the OL one) overruled by the exception about participant sports areas? (this quote is the Ohio Building Code based on the IBC 2015, don't have access to the IBC language). This relates to my project also.

[F] 903.2.1.3 Group A-3

An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided for fire areas containing Group A-3 occupancies and intervening floors of the building where one of the following conditions exists:

Exception:
    1. Fire areas used exclusively for religious worship services with fixed seating.

Exception:
    1. Fire areas used primarily for worship with fixed seating.
    2. Fire areas without fixed seating not used for exhibition or display; or
  3. The fire area is located on a floor other than a level of exit discharge serving such occupancies.

Exception: Areas used exclusively as participant sports areas where the main floor area is located at the same level as the level of exit discharge of the main entrance and exit.
I would argue that once you provide viewing areas for spectators and plan on having horse shows you have gone beyond the intent of a 'participation sports area'.

I would argue that once you provide viewing areas for spectators and plan on having horse shows you have gone beyond the intent of a 'participation sports area'.

A-4, which is specifically designated as for spectators, has the same exception (actually, looking in the *IBC*, it appears that this is not the case - so this may only be for Ohio or other jurisdictions which have this exception).

In other threads <https://www.thebuildingcodeforum.co...-an-indoor-sports-facility.10395/#post-124063>, some have argued that the exception only applies to the sports field itself, and that you should sprinkler over the bleacher areas (if you have them) and restrooms. The language below is unclear to me, and since it's not in the IBC I can't reference the commentary.
----------------
[F] 903.2.1.4 Group A-4

An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided for fire areas containing Group A-4 occupancies and intervening floors of the building where one of the following conditions exists:

As noted, the IBC does not have that exception, at least not in that location or form. There may be more to this, we are trying to analyze it based on the information we have, not the information we don't have.

You state it is a steel building, but not what the building code construction type is, which is important in the allowable area determination. Your building size is concerning regarding a type II or V, NS building. We don't know if this possibly was reviewed as an unlimited area building, which is where any exception for suppression may lie in the IBC, but I am not really sure how that would play out since the exception is located under the requirements for an unlimited area building. You mention a two-hour fire wall, which unfortunately has become a generic term for any wall that carries a rating, however a fire wall has a specific definition. If you don't have an actual fire wall, your two connected buildings would actually be one single building, of type V construction, exacerbating the problem. Finally, the exception in the IBC would only apply to the area directly over the actual participant area, and would not include any other areas of the building, including the "viewing area", seating, means of egress etc. My guess (but you should find out for yourself) is that that exception in the OBC may also only apply to the area used for participants, and nowhere else. Note the language in the OBC exception: "Areas used exclusively as participant sports areas".

In any case, this one has some baggage that you shouldn't have been made aware of after the building is up and nearing completion. JMHO

how many spectators or how big is the spectator area and standing or seated?

Not sure yet, I've just joined the project. There is no permanent seating, but I've been informed that they may move in bleachers in as-needed situations. I'm trying to find out more.