• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Corridor Width

And further.. I do believe the building dept makes rough inspections.. However, at a final inspection for interior alterations at a PA, I picked up that the 1 hr fire wall and rated door were missing at the bottom of a rated stairway. The job was finaled and approved by the building department without the 1 hr wall.

In reality, the rooms that dump directly to the exterior of the building are going to be the primary exits from those rooms. Only if the emergency is directly outside one or two of the rooms will the corridor be used. That's what required fire drills are for.

Here's my nickel's worth ...From the OP: Corridor wraps around the buidling, occupant load is 162 Children, 27 Teachers, 2 office staff, 191 Total. All classrooms have exits to outside.Since the corridor "wraps" the building, I envision something like below.Corridors A & B serve occupant loads of less than 100 each, a required capacity of less than 100. Each corridor requires a minimum width of 44" (disregarding the classroom doors to the exterior, those doors may not be available due to a fire at an adjacent building, a barbeque lunch gone bad, etc.). If you use 1/2 out the exterior and 1/2 out the corridor, then the required corridor could be 36" wide, a required capacity less than 50, but 42" wide to meet accessibility requirements.66" is sounding pretty good. Is there a plan you can post?

View attachment 123

View attachment 123

/monthly_2010_05/E-Corr..jpg.c61c55a7dd2ca17370fe9b8db540f4d3.jpg