• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Cure oven, building permit needed?

IMHO If it is an oven with an exhaust system as required by the manufactures installation instructions then it would need a mechanical permit. If you are installing a new electrical circuit to operate the oven then an electrical permit would also be required.

Yes, this is what I'm thinking too, electrical, mechanical, then fire suppression too.

The oven, unlike a toaster, is a structure you can enter and exit. Is it larger then 120 sq. ft?
There is a life safety issue to consider here, have you checked with OSHA?

OSHA does regular inspections here, this is actually our fourth one, they have no problems so far with the ones we have here now.

Sounds like similar to a built on site spray booth

Still up to the locals if and what type of “permits” are required,, if any.

Yes, but they must follow NC building code. If there's nothing in the code, then they can't make up stuff because they're scared of our new laws.

They may have when and what types of permits are required in thier web site

And by ordinance should be spelled out

Other thing is call the permit anyomous and ask when a permit is normally required and where can you get a written requirement saying that

When I have done prefab spray booths in the past they needed a building permit simply for confirming any structural requirements and attachments and any necessary footings or foundations that may be required as well as confirming that there is proper exiting from the room if it is large enough to enter. Of course electrical, mechanical, fire and air pollution control permits as well

Yes, this is what I'm thinking too, electrical, mechanical, then fire suppression too.

OSHA does regular inspections here, this is actually our fourth one, they have no problems so far with the ones we have here now.

Yes, but they must follow NC building code. If there's nothing in the code, then they can't make up stuff because they're scared of our new laws.

Look at 204.3 not sure if that answers part of your question:::

Especially # 4

https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/NCAPC2018/chapter-2-administrative-policies

Yes, this one can have a trailer parked in it. Still not up to the inspector to determine loads or anything structural.
Still no where in code does it say I need a building permit for shop equipment. I am still talking to them about this oven, we will see what they say next.
I know there's no answers on a forum, but there are some other building inspectors on here that may have a different take, or maybe I'm overlooking something.
If it is that big, then there are most definitely reasons to justify a permit.

How does the structure attach to the existing building? Are footings required? If attaching to existing SOG via post installed anchors, be ready to hire a special inspector as well.

And as previously mentioned, this large of an oven will also require a codes analysis for egress.

While the oven itself may be an independent unit, its placement within the building modifies the use of the building, therefore a permit is required.

Sounds like it may be a permit tracking problem, traditionally permitting software requires a master permit (building permit) to tie the other permits to. In one jurisdiction, a building permit was required period because that was the only way they had to tie it to the tax records for the county. If you dig hard enough, I bet you will find this out to be the case.

101.3.2.1 North Carolina Building Code The provisions of the Building Code shall apply to the construction, alteration, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, movement to another site, removal and demolition, or any appurtenances connected or attached to every building or structure, other than one- or two-family dwellings and townhouses.

IMHO it requires a permit for any egress, structural, or other issues. Equipment is right there in the code. Our state amended the whole admin. section of the codes and added reconfiguration of space, so you would need a permit. In my last AHJ we had to have the bldg. permit to tie it to everything.

Yes, they quoted the code to me, I see nothing about equipment not connected to the building.

In just about any state, county or municipality in the country a permit would be required. It is apparent that you don't want to have to pull a permit for building for whatever reason and based on my direct experience with manufacturing plants, they rarely do even when they are required. I am not sure you are going to find someone here to tell you what you want to hear at this point. What you are doing would require a permit anywhere in Pennsylvania where I am originally from or from any county area outside of a city here in Florida. You are altering egress pathways, sprinkler coverage, you need electrical, more than likely mechanical and possibly accessible routes amongst other things which all needs to be looked at. Your NC State code requires it so you are required to pull a permit. A county cannot lessen a state law, only make it more stringent.

"Yes, but they must follow NC building code. If there's nothing in the code, then they can't make up stuff because they're scared of our new laws."

Where code is concerned, it only lists what is exempt from permit....And your oven is not on the list.....I'm with BB and thinking it might be a tracking issue. As long as you are not paying "double fees" because of the two permits, what is the issue with having/ obtaining a building permit?