• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Deck Collapses in the U.S.: Building Codes and Safety Concerns

That you need to be very careful with since you are now "designing" instead of reviewing.
Believe me I know, when I do that I only use prescriptive beams and only after a conversation. For example. if they say 2-2x8 but it is too small I will have the conversation and get the ok to upsize as long as it is prescriptive.

I get it...We try not to approve violations on the plans, what we may be able to accept in the field is slightly different...

R301.1 Application

Buildings and structures, and parts thereof, shall be constructed to safely support all loads, including dead loads, live loads, roof loads, flood loads, snow loads, wind loads and seismic loads as prescribed by this code.
Well how about this is a plan sealed by a professional followed if it doesn't meet the code? Nowhere does it give the building inspector authority to approve anything that's not code compliant.

Last edited:
Just how bad would the plans have to be to be rejected???

Bottom line, both the IBC and the IRC require that:

Construction documents
shall be of sufficient clarity to indicate the location,
nature and extent of the work proposed and show in detail that
it will conform to the provisions of this code
and relevant laws,
ordinances, rules and regulations, as determined by the building
official.

Emphasis added. That child's sketch plan doesn't show any information needed to show how the construction will meet code. To meet code, drawings for a deck have to show the dimensions; the size, length, spacing, material and grade of the framing members and decking material; the construction of the guards (of required by height above grade -- which means the height above grade must be shown); wind and seismic bracing; stair construction, with guards and handrail(s); attachment to the building foundation (which requires showing what the existing foundation is).

I see my job as taking reasonable steps, in a reasonable amount of time to identify code compliance issues and do my best to verify code compliance in the planning phase, before it costs time and money for anyone. I try my best to make sure everyone has what they need to be successful in the field. Sometimes I probably go too far but I draw the line somewhere. I don't see my job as designing the deck. In the end this deck will be relatively compliant so the main goal is met, but partially based on the design of the reviewer. This brings potential liability to the AHJ and sets a terrible precedent for what is an acceptable plan. Here is the real issue, I would bet the reviewer is encouraged to do this if for no other reason than to reduce workload for an understaffed department. I think a decision is made to design it for them so it doesn't need to come back, as well as the obvious "customer service" theory (you know, the "never say no" theory?).

There are those in the town where I work who try to push the Building Department to be more "user friendly" (meaning, to them, approve more stuff in less time). Fortunately, the Building Official understands about our liability, and we are quite strict in adhering to the rule that we cannot become the designers. On commercial work, when someone asks what we want, our answer is that we want construction drawings showing that the work will comply with code. If they still have questions, we cite code sections and tell them to talk to their architect. We try to keep red marks on approved plans to an absolute minimum, and we use them only rarely.

For residential work, we're a bit more flexible insofar as offering suggestions, but we always make clear when we do so that we are offering ideas for compliant methods or materials, NOT saying that it must be this way. And we document such conversations with a memo to file, so when (not if) there's a complaint later that the homeowner did "exactly" what we "told" them to do and then later rejected it, we can produce a contemporaneous record of what we actually told them.

A lot of the push to be more "user friendly" in our town comes from the Economic Development Department. They got involved recently after we rejected the plans for a 30+ unit apartment building for the third time. After THREE revisions, the dimensions on the structural drawings still didn't match the dimensions on the architecturals. Somebody arranged a conference call with the developer's project manager, the architect, the structural engineer, the BO, and me (as the plan reviewer). The architect (whom I knew slightly, from many years ago) started off all hot and heavy that he had revised the drawings and he couldn't understand why we still had a problem. So I pointed out three specific places where the architectural dimensions still didn't match the structurals, and one place where the dimensions on the north side didn't add up to the same total as the dimensions on the south side. I pointed out that as plan reviewers and inspectors, we don't know which is correct. I said we could approve the drawings, but if we got to the second or third floor and found that a dimensional error resulted in a non-compliant condition, the developer would have to tear it down and rebuild it -- and that we wished to prevent that from happening.

The architect was very quiet after that. I didn't know it at the time, but the director of Economic Development was also on that conference call. I ran into him later in the corridor and he pretty much apologized to me. He said he had thought we were being too strict, but my comment about not wanting to let the developer build something he might later have to tear down apparently made it clear that by being strict we were also trying to be user friendly and prevent bigger issues later. I told him my philosophy has always been, both as an architect and as a building offial, that it's easier to move lines on paper than it is to tear something down and rebuild it.

my comment about not wanting to let the developer build something he might later have to tear down apparently made it clear that by being strict we were also trying to be user friendly and prevent bigger issues later. I told him my philosophy has always been, both as an architect and as a building official, that it's easier to move lines on paper than it is to tear something down and rebuild it.
I have tried so hard to get folks to understand this....and they do, until it is inconvenient. I really see my role as plans examiner as almost solely this function.

I had my 3rd meeting this week about a project that the economical folks basically green-lit that has an existential problem...no sprinklers. They loved the idea, told them it would be fantastic in the town. Then there was me. In the 2nd meeting, the exasperated owners brought up the old "we did this over there" argument. I remained silent, because I don't care, and because it is usually revealed that it is almost never an apples to apples comparison. By the 3rd meeting I had the plans from "over there". Those plans included a fully sprinklered building. I don't anticipate a 4th meeting. Most places have a design review function, that usually spots issues like this up front, before leases are signed and money is invested. They did not take this route, signed a lease, and according to them spent 50k already. Some lessons are expensive.

I'll preface the following with this: I'm not here to ruffle feathers, though it will likely happen. So be it. You've been advised, so stop reading if you are squeamish.

I am not a municipal employee but rather an independent ICC R-5 inspector with multiple other certifications, including Master Deck Professional from NADRA. Over the past 48 years in the residential construction arena, I have built many decks and inspected thousands of them for homeowners for deck builders and attorneys who sue them. My service area is in DFW, Texas, which is the third or fourth largest metroplex in the USA, depending on whose statistics one uses.

In my experience, the problems with decks and the houses they accompany have little to do with the current stringency of the applicable codes. Instead, they almost exclusively fall into the laps of the AHJs responsible for their oversight during construction. Yes, the contractors play their parts, but they cannot proceed with building substandard decks without the express permission of the municipal building inspection departments.

It is also my experience, at least in Texas, that AHJs are political creatures first and maybe enforcers of the codes when necessary. They work for the corporations, which are the cities. Their first allegiance is to the political machine under which they labor. Further, in my area, most of the boots on the ground doing the inspections are not in any significant way certified to do the job. The average amount of time spent on any inspection is less than 15 minutes.

So then, with no real enforcement of the codes, blaming the codes for deck failures seems to me to be a real s-t-r-e-t-c-h. I am not buying it. Time for a peek in the mirror?

Well how about this is a plan sealed by a professional followed if it doesn't meet the code? Nowhere does it give the building inspector authority to approve anything that's not code compliant.
Well....in several places, but here is the easiest....The IRC is prescriptive and can always be engineered outside of the IRC specifics....

R301.1.3 Engineered Design

Where a building of otherwise conventional construction contains structural elements exceeding the limits of Section R301 or otherwise not conforming to this code, these elements shall be designed in accordance with accepted engineering practice. The extent of such design need only demonstrate compliance of nonconventional elements with other applicable provisions and shall be compatible with the performance of the conventional framed system. Engineered design in accordance with the International Building Code is permitted for buildings and structures, and parts thereof, included in the scope of this code. Engineered design shall be certified by a registered design professional.

they cannot proceed with building substandard decks without the express permission of the municipal building inspection departments.
The lax enforcement is evident in far more than just decks. If the public knew the truth there would be a refusal to pay for permits. Many of the contractors that I work with are aware of the shortcomings of the inspectors. In fact, several have asked me to do followup inspections.

The lax enforcement is evident in far more than just decks. If the public knew the truth there would be a refusal to pay for permits. Many of the contractors that I work with are aware of the shortcomings of the inspectors. In fact, several have asked me to do followup inspections.
One of my inspectors went out to inspect a home-owner build for a new home. While she was out, the owner called to re-confirm and joked with the admin staff that everything should be perfect because her friend is the building inspector for an adjacent jurisdiction and had given her a clean bill of health. My admin worker was mentioning this to me as my inspector walked back into the office. Inspector, laughing, said "oh, no. I found 6 violations, a few very serious".

Sometimes its do to laziness but it is also an experience factor. All inspectors are not created equal on day one of the job (we all have different and similar pasts we draw from) let alone after one, two, five or ten years down the road as an inspector. I don't try to condemn people who are newer than myself since I now know I did not know everything when I was hired 17 years ago.

One of my inspectors went out to inspect a home-owner build for a new home. While she was out, the owner called to re-confirm and joked with the admin staff that everything should be perfect because her friend is the building inspector for an adjacent jurisdiction and had given her a clean bill of health. My admin worker was mentioning this to me as my inspector walked back into the office. Inspector, laughing, said "oh, no. I found 6 violations, a few very serious".
I've had a few of those myself.

The other variation is "well, the building inspector in <adjacent city> is OK with this."
My usual response is to start citing names of the inspectors in <adjacent city> ....

experience factor
I worked in a county district office that was responsible for several contract cities. A city was losing the inspector due to retirement so the city's planning director had to choose a replacement. He chose an inspector that was too new to be on his own... by a long shot. When the director was told that his choice was too green he replied, "He can learn it as he goes."

The planning director got his way and the inspecdtor has been learning the trade for years. I met a swimming pool contractor that told me he had to explain the equipotential bonding grid to the inspector and he came away from it worried that the inspector didn't understand it.

There are many trades/occupations where a person can learn it as they go... building inspector is not one of them. Who's to say that they'll ever pick it up? What about all of the violations that were overlooked until they got a clue? Ask the public what they think about that.

Last edited:
I worked in a county district office that was responsible for several contract cities. A city was losing the inspector due to retirement so the city's planning director had to choose a replacement. He chose an inspector that was too new to be on his own... by a long shot. When the director was told that his choice was too green he replied, "He can learn it as he goes."

The planning director got his way and the inspecdtor has been learning the trade for years. I met a swimming pool contractor that told me he had to explain the equipotential bonding grid to the inspector and he came away from it worried that the inspector didn't understand it.

There are many trades/occupations where a person can learn it as they go... building inspector is not one of them. Who's to say that they'll ever pick it up? What about all of the violations that were overlooked until they got a clue? Ask the public what they think about that.
Luckily most property owners and insurance companies just eat the bad work and the world keeps on spinning....Deaths are not rampant so it must not be a problem....