• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

defining the 'work area'

Status
Not open for further replies.
jar546 said:
Let's look at percentages another way.If a room is 10' x 10' with 10' high ceilings, the actual square footage of the room when you combine the walls, ceiling & floor is 600 square feet.

When you move one of the 10' walls, you are moving 100 square feet or 1/6 or 17%

Work area says nothing about floor area.
do you mean the cubic volume is 1000 ft 3 ?

mtlogcabin said:
This has been a very interesting and educational thread and I to would like to see it keep goingThe work area refers to spaces and a space is within something so I would not agree with your example of applying percentages

Here is my take on the work area definition

WORK AREA. That portion or portions of a building consisting of all reconfigured spaces as indicated on the construction documents. A wall defines a space and is not part of the space. The area of a space must change.

Work area excludes other portions of the building where incidental work entailed by the intended work must be performed A ballroom is being reconfigured and new chandelier light fixtures are installed The chandeliers in the lobby will be changed to match the ballroom. The lobby work would be incidental and not part of the work area.

and portions of the building where work not initially intended by the owner is specifically required by this code. A meeting room was reconfigured and the occupant load went from 40 to 55. Panic hardware is now required on all doors along the egress path. This work is not included in the work area.
i agree with your examples of incedental work.

and you definition of work area

Mr Softy said:
i agree with your examples of incedental work.and you definition of work area
Keep in mind that spaces are as defined on the construction documents not in the building department.

brudgers said:
Keep in mind that spaces are as defined on the construction documents not in the building department.
That is an interesting, albeit a bit off topic, point. I recently had an application for a trampoline dodge-ball facility. The application and construction documents noted it was to be a 'B' occupancy. I don't believe I was wrong in not accepting it as a 'B' occupancy by also keeping in mind that spaces may be defined incorrectly, by both the construction documents or the building department.

It's part of the definition of Work Area in the code.

"That portion or portions of a building consisting of all reconfigured spaces as indicated on the construction documents."

one work area can affect many other work areas... saw an example today which is going to be almost un-inspectable. Project creep, maybe..

brudgers said:
It's part of the definition of Work Area in the code."That portion or portions of a building consisting of all reconfigured spaces as indicated on the construction documents."
And as Papio said, when they are indicated incorrectly (which unfortunately is not uncommon), those construction documents are "DENIED".

Last edited by a moderator:
peach said:
Deny it at plan review - don't dump it on the inspector in the field.
hi peach.

in both instances i am citing, the 'work area' had expanded wildly during construction. after review,and after the permit had been issued.

both expansions of scope were uncovered during a field inspection for something else.

we look for a minimum of three essential documents - an existing condition plan, a proposed plan, and a scoping plan.

welcome back, you softy you!

The work area frequently expands after construction starts.. sometimes existing conditions are uncovered... yadayada...

that's what stop work orders are for.

Sounds like your jurisdiction has a pretty good plan, but the scope can change in a hurry (PARTICULARLY in existing buildings).. one of those OH CRAP moments!

We recently had one.. a Tenant fitout in an existing building... NOT ONLY was the old temporary wiring from the base building still in place, it was individual conductors (what the NEC calls "festoon wiring"), but it was HOT.. needless to say, my inspector said pull it out on the entire floor (out of scope).

peach said:
... sometimes existing conditions are uncovered... yadayada... that's what stop work orders are for.
uncovering existing conditions is one thing...

our MO (so to speak) is to use Stop Work Orders only when absolutely necessary. the preferred method is to work out a solution, and give the GC/DP a the opportunity to make things right. Stop Work Orders just put lots of people out of work. our way generally works out well.

working out solutions doesn't always work.. need to get their attention... particularly after construction starts; catch it at plan review if you can (which means the plan reviewer needs to ask some thougthful questions.. which they rarely do.. or visit the site (which they never do)... a SWO gets the attention (and the word travels faster than a fire in a matchbook.. don't over use it, of course, or the contractor will start writing the cost into their bid)..

Once a project is out of control, you need to rein it in at any cost (to them, of course).. sooner rather than later..

peach said:
working out solutions doesn't always work.. need to get their attention...
no, it doesn't unfortunately. and trust me, we do know how to get their attention when we need to.

texasbo said:
And as Papio said, when they are indicated incorrectly (which unfortunately is not uncommon), those construction documents are "DENIED".
The code may be poorly written, but the work area determination is found on the construction documents.

Short of having an alternative set of construction documents, there is no authority in the IEBC for a code official to determine the work area.

Unless of course, said code official takes it upon themselves to create those construction documents.

brudgers said:
The code may be poorly written, but the work area determination is found on the construction documents.Short of having an alternative set of construction documents, there is no authority in the IEBC for a code official to determine the work area.

Unless of course, said code official takes it upon themselves to create those construction documents.
You are wrong. The work area is NOT determined on the CD's. Read your code. It is INDICATED on the CD's. The DETERMINATION is made by the Building Department, hence the point of this thread. If the DP was in charge of DETERMINING things, submittal would not be required to the Building Department. You can INDICATE a 15 story building as type V construction, but it will be DETERMINED as something else.

What the work area is or isn't in this PARTICULAR case is certainly up for debate, but DETERMINATION certainly is not.

Yup, have to agree with TXBO, the DP can submit whatever they desire, but yes, the building department's Plans Examiners job is to determine if the DP's plans are in compliance with the code. Call it whatever you want, holding the permit hostage, making applicants do the dance, jump through hoops, but that is the Plans Examiners job, to review the submitted plan for compliance. And yes, it is their interpretation, cold hard fact, if it doesn't work out for the DP, then there are appeals processes to address that.

fatboy said:
Yup, have to agree with TXBO, the DP can submit whatever they desire, but yes, the building department's Plans Examiners job is to determine if the DP's plans are in compliance with the code. Call it whatever you want, holding the permit hostage, making applicants do the dance, jump through hoops, but that is the Plans Examiners job, to review the submitted plan for compliance. And yes, it is their interpretation, cold hard fact, if it doesn't work out for the DP, then there are appeals processes to address that.
Yeah, what he said.

DPs consistently submit plans that are not compliant and the plans examiner is there to verify compliance. Case in point: DP submits plans for a chinese restaurant with a total of 2,000 sq'. 1,000 for the kitchen and then shows a net area in the dining room of 750 sq' with mixed tables & chairs. What occupant load do they show us? 14 in order to eliminate a bathroom. They showed tables and 9 chairs on the plans. Nice try.

Am I suppose to be forced to accept that because it was submitted by a DP? Absolutely not. Could they have asked for the exception by the BCO under Ch 10 of the IBC and explained why but no, they just provide what they think it should be.

yup.

the contractor indicated work in the kitchen and bath. only. fine.

i determined, upon inspection, that the work was over the whole building. my call.

if the GC doesn't want the BI making field determinations, don't venture off the CDs.

brudgers said:
there is no authority in the IEBC for a code official to determine the work area.
106.3 of the 2006 IEBC: Examination of documents

The code official shall examine or cause to be examined the construction documents and shall ascertain (determine) by such examinations whether the construction or occupancy indicated (not determined) and described is in accordance with the requirements of this code and other pertinent law or ordinances.

I believe that is called authority brudgers, whether you want to admit it or not. And like all authority, it too can be abused. :beatdhrs

I find it is best to take each project on a case by case basis, and although I do not like take projects hostage, however, that is a tool the codes give us in order to ascertain compliance, and I am more than happy to use it, especially when the last six RDP submitted Tenant Finishes didn't provide even a door schedule (granted in two cases the GC had submitted prelims without authorization by the RDP).

Papio Bldg Dept said:
106.3 of the 2006 IEBC: Examination of documents The code official shall examine or cause to be examined the construction documents and shall ascertain (determine) by such examinations whether the construction or occupancy indicated (not determined) and described is in accordance with the requirements of this code and other pertinent law or ordinances.

I believe that is called authority brudgers, whether you want to admit it or not. And like all authority, it too can be abused. :beatdhrs

I find it is best to take each project on a case by case basis, and although I do not like take projects hostage, however, that is a tool the codes give us in order to ascertain compliance, and I am more than happy to use it, especially when the last six RDP submitted Tenant Finishes didn't provide even a door schedule (granted in two cases the GC had submitted prelims without authorization by the RDP).
OK, this is going to be an interesting post/reply coming up from our resident PITA.:popcorn

Papio Bldg Dept said:
the construction or occupancy indicated and described is in accordance with the requirements of this code
The code is quite clear. The work area is by definition what is indicated on the plans.

I will also point out, that the work area appears to be neither an occupancy nor construction and therefore does not fall within the purview of the code official under 106.3.

I'm not saying that the code is well written.

But that's what it says, and the reason one goes and talks to the city attorney rather than dealing with the products of a DQ.

jar546 said:
Yeah, what he said.DPs consistently submit plans that are not compliant and the plans examiner is there to verify compliance. Case in point: DP submits plans for a chinese restaurant with a total of 2,000 sq'. 1,000 for the kitchen and then shows a net area in the dining room of 750 sq' with mixed tables & chairs. What occupant load do they show us? 14 in order to eliminate a bathroom. They showed tables and 9 chairs on the plans. Nice try.

Am I suppose to be forced to accept that because it was submitted by a DP? Absolutely not. Could they have asked for the exception by the BCO under Ch 10 of the IBC and explained why but no, they just provide what they think it should be.
I think you are missing the difference.

Work area is defined solely by what is indicated on the construction documents.

The code provides no other way of determining it.

And, therefore, using any other method to determine the work area besides looking at the construction documents to see what is indicated is not in compliance with the code, and therefore absent a modification to the model code by local ordinance, making a determination of the work area which is different from what is indicated on the plans is not within the building official's purview.

If you are going to babble about attorneys, you better become familiar with the reasonable person doctrine. I find that the people who threaten legal action are the ones that know the least about it. Good for you if you were able to successfully threaten a green city attorney in a city fearful of all litigation, no matter how baseless.

An appeal of the inspector's interpretation is not handled through the city attorney, and I expect any competent attorney to tell you that. And who do you think they're going to call to figure out the truth (hint, it's not you).

If you should have the conviction to actually file a suit, most cities are insured for such incidents. Council is provided by the insurer. At which time the Judge will dismiss because you failed to follow the established procedure for appealing a decision.

And to be clear "design professional" does not appear anywhere in the definition of "work area". It does say "reconfigured spaces as indicated on the plans". I see a wall moved, it indicates the spaces have been reconfigured and defines the work area. I don't see where the code gives the designer exclusive rights to determining the work area.

Status
Not open for further replies.