• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Difference Between Domestic & Commercial Kitchen

Given this scenario, is makeup air required? 505.4, and logic would seem to say yes, but this section really seems geared towards the dwelling unit application. I have a classroom with 3200cfm of domestic cooking exhaust and the room is already slightly negative between supply and return, with no makeup air.
Code mandated or not, yes, you need to put in makeup air if you have 3200cfm of unbalance exhaust potential.

I'd also call attention to 505.6...

2021 IMC - 505.6 Other Than Group R

In other than Group R occupancies, where domestic cooktops, ranges, and open-top broilers are used for domestic purposes, domestic cooking exhaust systems shall be provided.
Also, while the IMC does not define domestic cooking appliances, it does define commercial cooking appliances. If it doesn't fit in one pot, it fits in the other.

COMMERCIAL COOKING APPLIANCES. Appliances used in a commercial food service establishment for heating or cooking food. For the purpose of this definition, a commercial food service establishment is where food is prepared for sale or is prepared on a scale that is by volume and frequency not representative of domestic household cooking.

Don't forget 505.4 in the Domestic Cooking Exhaust section:

505.4Makeup air required.

Exhaust hood systems capable of exhausting in excess of 400 cfm (0.19 m3/s) shall be provided with makeup air at a rate approximately equal to the exhaust air rate. Such makeup air systems shall be equipped with a means of closure and shall be automatically controlled to start and operate simultaneously with the exhaust system.

So if its one common exhaust system you can require makeup air, or if its individual hoods that are over 400 CFM each you can also require it. It applies to ANY domestic cooking exhaust system. Nowhere is it indicated that it applies to dwelling units only.

This scenario does not reach the level of commercial cooking IMHO. It is a middle school, and FWIW this exact scenario is given as an example in the IMC commentary of non-commercial cooking, and not requiring a type I or II hood.

It is a combined system, which is why I think MUA is required, I just have never applied 505.4 in this manner. I don't think I've ever reviewed a group E culinary arts classroom. But now I have, so cross that one off. I am requiring MUA. Hard to believe they aren't providing it with so much of a differential, so I'll scrutinize the plans a little closer.