• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Does a Fence Require a Permit?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
State or Country
California
Owner - Contractor - Design Professional
Other
We plan to install a new fence around our backyard. Is a building permit required for fencing projects?

Just getting this new section jump started.

Here is my official answer:

1. If it is greater than 6' tall, then yes, a permit is required.
  2. If it is part of a pool barrier then yes, a permit is required.
If nothing else, usually zoning approval is required at a minimum, but not always a permit.

If the fence is a block wall
5 foot 6 inches above grade do this require permit?
I the 5 foot 6 inch wall has a footing 2 feet below grade, balanced fill on both side does it require a permit?

R105.2 Work Exempt From Permit

Exemption from the permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws, statutes, regulations or ordinances of the jurisdiction. Permits shall not be required for the following work:
  • Building:
    1. Other than storm shelters, one-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area is not greater than 200 square feet (18.58 m2).
    2. Fences, other than swimming pool barriers, not over 7 feet (2134 mm) high.

If the fence is a block wall
5 foot 6 inches above grade do this require permit?
I the 5 foot 6 inch wall has a footing 2 feet below grade, balanced fill on both side does it require a permit?

No permit required.

[A] 105.2 Work exempt from permit. Exemptions from
permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant
authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation
of the provisions of this code or any other laws or
ordinances of this jurisdiction. Permits shall not be required
for the following:
Building:
1. One-story detached accessory structures used as
tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses,
provided that the floor area is not greater than 120
square feet (11 m2).
2. Fences not over 7 feet (2134 mm) high.

If the fill on both sides is balanced, it's not a retaining wall, so item #4 under the work exempt from permit does not apply.

We plan to install a new fence around our backyard. Is a building permit required for fencing projects?
A lot of things in play here: Others have said check with the AHJ.I agree, permits depend on the AHJ.

We get questions like can we build a berm and put a 6ft fence on top of it so we can block our neighbors view?
We have open fencing in the front yard and height requirements in our zoning and subdivision rules
HOA should be the first place to check, I live in one that only allows 48" high gothic pickets.
Some city will not allow a fence to block backyard utilities.
What happens when there's a manhole at the property line?
Do you allow razor wire or chicken wire?
Color and type of fence comes up from time to time.
Some may require survey.
ISPSC if adopted has requirements for barriers and some AHJ may have additions to that like inside locking hardware.
Check with HOA and AHJ is the right call.

A lot of things in play here: Others have said check with the AHJ.I agree, permits depend on the AHJ.

We get questions like can we build a berm and put a 6ft fence on top of it so we can block our neighbors view?
We have open fencing in the front yard and height requirements in our zoning and subdivision rules
HOA should be the first place to check, I live in one that only allows 48" high gothic pickets.
Color and type of fence comes up from time to time.
Some may require survey.
ISPSC if adopted has requirements for barriers and some AHJ may have additions to that like inside locking hardware.
Check with HOA and AHJ is the right call.
"... can we build a berm and put a 6ft fence on top of it so we can block our neighbors view?...."
Provide a Grading plan, for the Berm...you are changing the natural flow of stormwater....
Where is the height measured from? just like a story in the code... how wide is the berm?
We have open fencing in the front yard and height requirements in our zoning and subdivision rules, HOA should be the first place to check, I live in one that only allows 48" high gothic pickets.
Most restrictive requirement applies....
Okay, and?
Okay, and?
Many jurisdictions do not
Color and type of fence comes up from time to time. Okay, and?
Some may require survey.Okay, and?
ISPSC if adopted has requirements for barriers and some AHJ may have additions to that like inside locking hardware.Okay, and?
Check with HOA and AHJ is the right call. Yes

"Fences and walls are confused. A fence is a FUNCTIONAL term. A wall is a structural/architectural term, something that supports or divides. A stone wall can be, but need not be a fence. A stone fence must be a wall."

The ancient tradition of stone fences dates back nearly 4,000 years when stone walls extended over five square miles in the Ceide Fields of County Mayo. However, most of the fences date to the 1840s when land was redistributed and the stone walls defined the field and helped to clear the land at the same time.

I guess I'm wrong again.

The ancient tradition of stone fences dates back nearly 4,000 years when stone walls extended over five square miles in the Ceide Fields of County Mayo. However, most of the fences date to the 1840s when land was redistributed and the stone walls defined the field and helped to clear the land at the same time.

I guess I'm wrong again.
I see a stone wall.

When it comes to defining boundaries, fences and walls are two common options. However, many people use these terms interchangeably, which can cause confusion. So, what exactly is the difference between a fence and a wall?

It’s important to note that both a fence and a wall are used for the same purpose – to separate one area from another. The main difference is in their construction and appearance.

A fence is a freestanding structure that is typically made up of posts and rails or panels. Fences can be made from a variety of materials, such as wood, vinyl, metal, or chain link. They are usually shorter than walls and are often used to mark property lines, keep pets or children in the yard, or add aesthetic appeal to a home.

On the other hand, a wall is a solid structure that is typically made of brick, stone, concrete, or other masonry materials. Walls are taller than fences and are often used for security and privacy purposes. They can also be used to retain soil or create a barrier against noise or wind.

Now that we’ve established the difference between a fence and a wall, let’s dive deeper into the pros and cons of each option.

Define Fence
A fence is a barrier made of posts, rails, boards, or wire that is used to enclose an area, typically outdoors. Fences are commonly used to provide privacy, security, and aesthetic appeal to a property. They can be made from a variety of materials such as wood, vinyl, metal, or chain link.

Fences can be designed in various styles, such as picket, split rail, privacy, or lattice. Each style offers a unique look and functionality. Picket fences are decorative and provide minimal privacy, while privacy fences are tall and block the view from the outside. Split rail fences are commonly used for agricultural purposes and provide a rustic look to a property. Lattice fences are designed to provide partial privacy while allowing for air flow and light to pass through.

Define Wall
A wall is a solid structure made of bricks, stones, concrete, or other materials that is used to enclose an area. Walls are typically taller and thicker than fences and are designed to provide more privacy and security to a property. Walls can be used for decorative purposes as well and can be designed in various styles such as brick, stone, or stucco.

Walls can be load-bearing or non-load-bearing. Load-bearing walls are designed to support the weight of a building or other structures, while non-load-bearing walls are used for partitioning rooms or for decorative purposes. Walls can also be designed to include gates or doors for access to the enclosed area.

First person that says we need a definition for fence gets banned......
Fence
a. : a barrier intended to prevent escape or intrusion or to mark a boundary. especially : such a barrier made of posts and wire or boards. b. : an immaterial barrier or boundary line.
Fence Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster
Merriam-Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com › dictionary › fence

wall
a continuous vertical brick or stone structure that encloses or divides an area of land.
"a garden wall"

BAN ME
Can a wall be a fence.... IMHO, Yes, a wall can be used as a fence...

Fence
a. : a barrier intended to prevent escape or intrusion or to mark a boundary. especially : such a barrier made of posts and wire or boards. b. : an immaterial barrier or boundary line.
Fence Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster
Merriam-Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com › dictionary › fence

wall
a continuous vertical brick or stone structure that encloses or divides an area of land.
"a garden wall"

BAN ME
Can a wall be a fence.... IMHO, Yes, a wall can be used as a fence...
Never Mark....you didn't say we need a definition.....I know a fence when I see one....

I think you just need to find the best definition of a fence and picket.
Since the original post states CA
California Building Code 2022​
201.4 Terms Not Defined​
Webster's Third New International Dictionary of the English Language, Unabridged, shall be considered as providing ordinarily accepted meanings.​
fence
1: archaic : a means of protection : DEFENSE​
2a: a barrier intended to prevent escape or intrusion or to mark a boundary especially : such a barrier made of posts and wire or boards​
2b: an immaterial barrier or boundary line​

wall
1a: a high thick masonry structure forming a long rampart or an enclosure chiefly for defense —often used in plural​
1b: a masonry fence around a garden, park, or estate
c: a structure that serves to hold back pressure (as of water or sliding earth)​
2: one of the sides of a room or building connecting floor and ceiling or foundation and roof​
3: the side of a footpath next to buildings​
4: an extreme or desperate position or a state of defeat, failure, or ruin​
The surrounded troops had their backs against the wall.​
5: a material layer enclosing space​
the wall of a container​
heart walls​
6: something resembling a wall (as in appearance, function, or effect) especially : something that acts as a barrier or defense​
a wall of reserve​
tariff wall​

Can a wall be used as a fence: Yes