• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Does an Alteration trigger the need for path to street?

Big box stores where there is a fire lane in front of the store. All of the HC parking spaces you have to travel in the driving aisle to get to the HC parking space of which there could be 6 or more of them

Yes, but travelling across a drive aisle is not the same as travelling behind a parked vehicle.

The recommendation (requirement, in California) to not travel behind another person's parked vehicle stems from concern that the wheelchair user sits below the field of vision in a rearview mirror, especially with tall vehicles (vans, SUVs, etc.). A person backing out their parked vehicle might not be aware that there is a wheelchair directly behind their rear bumper.

This problem does not exist in a drive aisle, where theoretically all vehicles are moving in a forward direction and drivers should clearly see what's in front of them.

I realize that rearview camera technology in newer vehicles will eventually make this issue obsolete - - but while old cars are still on the road, it remains valid.

I was not referring to the drive aisle I was referring to the other 4 or 5 HC parking spaces a person wouls have to roll behind if they are parked in the farthest HC spot
images

I was not referring to the drive aisle I was referring to the other 4 or 5 HC parking spaces a person wouls have to roll behind if they are parked in the farthest HC spot
images
In The picture(4) of those stall do not Meet Code, they lack loading zones. So traveling behind is just another violation for a law suit.

The "Loading zone" is the 5 ft. (or 8 ft. for a van space) aisle between accessible spaces.

Apparently having to travel behind other parked cars is a violation in California, but just bad design elsewhere.

The "Loading zone" is the 5 ft. (or 8 ft. for a van space) aisle between accessible spaces.

Apparently having to travel behind other parked cars is a violation in California, but just bad design elsewhere.
Yes
ADASAD Advisory 502.3 ...Where possible, it is preferable that the accessible route not pass behind parked vehicles.

"Loading Zones" differ from access aisles, which are required next (or shared) at/to accessible spaces. "LZ"s are intended for drop offs only.

11B-202.4 Path of travel requirements in alterations, additions and structural repairs
When alterations or additions are made to existing buildings or facilities, an accessible path of travel to the specific area of alteration or addition shall be provided.
The primary accessible path of travel shall include:
  1. A primary entrance to the building or facility,
  2. Toilet and bathing facilities serving the area,
  3. Drinking fountains serving the area,
  4. Public telephones serving the area, and
  5. Signs.

Chapter 2 Definitions
PATH OF TRAVEL. An identifiable accessible route within an existing site, building or facility by means of which a particular area may be approached, entered and exited, and which connects a particular area with an exterior approach (including sidewalks, streets and parking areas), an entrance to the facility, and other parts of the facility. When alterations, structural repairs or additions are made to existing buildings or facilities, the term “path of travel” also includes the toilet and bathing facilities, telephones, drinking fountains and signs serving the area of work.

Mark, Are we in agreement that for an existing building and no change in use, bank to bank, there is no code requirement to provide a POT from the public sidewalk and we are only required to provide a POT from the accessible parking area to the buildings primary entry? I am still a bit puzzled by some of the wording.