• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Dwelling unit separation at balcony

An expert just answered my question by confirming this is a highly controversial topic that a bunch of very well respected authorities in the field can't agree on. I don't feel so bad now.

I am in the camp of "it's not in the building, so there is no requirement to separate". Firewalls are a good example of where this is explicitly addressed by the code. One could conclude that by not including similar language in the requirements for separations between dwelling units, the same level of protection is not required by the code.

For what it's worth the AHJ did not budge on the requirement that the dwelling unit separation continue via the exterior wall dividing the balconies. He did allow that wall to stop short of the edge of the balcony slightly to maintain the visual appearance we had designed with the railings running past the divider wall. His rationalization for this was that the separation wall just extend to or beyond the main roof line (not the balcony projection beyond). Thanks all for the discussion.

For what it's worth the AHJ did not budge on the requirement that the dwelling unit separation continue via the exterior wall dividing the balconies. He did allow that wall to stop short of the edge of the balcony slightly to maintain the visual appearance we had designed with the railings running past the divider wall. His rationalization for this was that the separation wall just extend to or beyond the main roof line (not the balcony projection beyond). Thanks all for the discussion.

Ok, boy now the next guy is going to get the business.

I believe your train of thought is correct.

Here it is again, fire separation for decks. Whether FSD or occupancy separation, the code is simply not equipped to handle this or provide for consistent interpretations. I will likely be working on proposals for IBC 2024 to begin this discussion at the ICC code development level. With support from the North American Deck and Railing Association, I have been able to assist in deck code development since the 2015 editions. WE WELCOME discussion, ideas, disagreement, and collaboration PRIOR to submitting our proposals. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have an interest in seeing this addressed more clearly in the IBC and IRC.

To the original poster, I am in the Denver area. These are my code peers. I appreciate you not naming (shaming) the jurisdiction, but if you would let me know which it was in a private message, I would be able to reach out to them in a positive manner to better understand their position on this interpretation. Heck, I may know the reviewer! This is simply to help better craft proposals for the future codes.
Let's look at this in a different way. I agree with other posters that separation is not required at the decks because the fire most likely won't "jump" around the corner and breach the other unit but will dissipate to the exterior. An analogy might be a covered exit balcony open on one side with stairs at each end. The exterior wall in this case is not even required to be rated because the fire will most likely dissipate out. In my simple mind, there is really no difference between the exit balcony and the unit deck as far as dwelling unit separation. Thoughts?

Ken

Thank you for bringing this controversial subject to the forum for discussion. This shows an area that needs to be revisited for clarification purposes when it comes to a new code cycle.