• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Egress through storage room

Now you are getting to where the rubber meets the road, wouldn't the distance to exits exceed 150'?

I would not approve it without more info

And documentation of use

I quote a section of the code on my plan review comments. What section would you suggest for me to use? For all I know the public could come in to pay for a used tire of a girlfriend of an employee could come in to mess around. They are not calling it an employee only area.

Reactions: JBI
Ok

What if

100000 sq ft warehouse

Business wants to put a 4000 sq ft office space in the middle of the warehouse.

No rated corridors

If this one office is allowed,, because person knows way out

Will the 4000 sq ft office be allowed??
You can what if it all day long and get different answers to the what ifs. Simple answer is yes exiting from the B through the S occupancy is still permitted. Find a code section that limit the number of people that can exit from a B through an S. Find a code section that requires a corridor be installed remember they are still part of the exit access. Find a code section that prohibits a less than 750 sq ft conference room within that what if 4,000 sq ft upper level office that may have a meeting of employees and outside clients in it that prohibits it construction or use. We might not agree or like it but the code allows it all

I call them by what is shown in the plans.

I would just require more information before I approve it.

I disagree all B’s cannot exit thru an S

5,500 sf office occ>50 in a 55,00sf warehouse.
The 2nd exit for office can pass through the S1/S2 warehouse?
Is the 10% office area accessory to warehouse documented as currently 2015IBC applicable or is that just inferred from the SBCCI logic?

The problem with hypothetical situations is that when one provides an answer the next hypothetical scenario gets dragged in (see mtlog's post above).

5,500 sf office occ>50 in a 55,00sf warehouse.
The 2nd exit for office can pass through the S1/S2 warehouse?
Is the 10% office area accessory to warehouse documented as currently 2015IBC applicable or is that just inferred from the SBCCI logic?
10% or less of the story in which it/they are located is the current IBC limit for 'accessory' uses, that is an accumulative 10% by the way.
Any more and it becomes a mixed use. Lacking the proper rated separations in accordance with Table 508.4 it would be deemed a non-separated mixed use and be bound by the most restrictive provisions for the uses involved.
Incorporate the proper separations and it is a separated mixed use and you would apply the sum of the ratios.
Egress requirements must still be met, etc.

Love the direction this is going, lots of good stuff.
This is a landlord/tenant issue as well as code.

I do not think a warehouse is a storage room. what is the likelihood that the path of egress in this space,(whatever you want to call it) will be compromised by freight, goods, Christmas decorations, whatever?

Reactions: cda
  • Seems to meat the definition of a store room. Maybe there should be a minimum size of a store room where egress can go through a store room when the egress path is like what the code requires for M stock rooms.
  • From Merriam-Webster
storeroom
noun

store·room | \ˈstȯr-ˌrüm, -ˌru̇m\
Definition of storeroom

1: a room or space for the storing of goods or supplies

2: STOREHOUSE sense 2

storage
noun

stor·age | \ˈstȯr-ij \
Definition of storage

1a: space or a place for storing

b: an amount stored

c: MEMORY sense 4

2a: the act of storing : the state of being storedespecially : the safekeeping of goods in a depository (such as a warehouse)

b: the price charged for keeping goods in a storehouse

3: the production by means of electric energy of chemical reactions that when allowed to reverse themselves generate electricity again without serious loss

I don't know whether this was a Virginia amendment (2012)

A maximum of one exit access is permitted to pass through kitchens, store rooms, closets or spaces used for similar purposes provided such a space is not the only means of exit access.