• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Egress window maximum height

Architect1281 said:
A floor is the flat surface of a room upon which the occupancy occurs and it must beat least 70 sf and hav a minimum dimendion of 7 feetso if you want to have a 7 x 10 or an 8'-4 x 8'4 square, raised platform, floor like room segmentKnock yerself out even then I would not argue its not a floor
Can you clarify, if I have a step, as pictured in the room below, that divided a room that was, say 10x10, in half, this would no longer be a legal sized room?View attachment 398

View attachment 398

/monthly_2011_02/floorsteplevel.JPG.05a6831d834818d4fe8cb026cb720ef4.JPG

Well not sure from the photo but

You need 1 this big

R304.1 Minimum area. Every dwelling unit shall have at least

one habitable room that shall have not less than 120 square feet

(11 m2) of gross floor area

then the rest need to be at least

R304.2 Other rooms. Other habitable rooms shall have a floor

area of not less than 70 square feet (6.5 m2).

with a minimum dimension like this

R304.3 Minimum dimensions. Habitable rooms shall not be

less than 7 feet (2134 mm) in any horizontal dimension.

If the space includes a 7 x 7 area and contains more than 70 sf and has spaces less than 7 feet in any dimension

like oh say 5 feet - the 5 foot space can exist but it is not credited to the required minimu of 70

Like some slope ceilings go to the floor to a zero heigiht wall while the space below 5 feet in height exists cannot count to the minimum areas

in your photo if the platform is 10 x 10 then its 100 sf no matter what you call it ( with a wall in the middle it would be 2 segments of 5 x 10 and the No it would not be a "Compliant" defined habitable room

Code reference?

Assume the step I have shown exists in a room that is 7'x10'. There is a uniform step up of 7 inches within a bedroom. 1/2 the bedroom has, say a 9'3" ceiling height, the remainder has a 10'0" ceiling height.

What provision of the IRC is being violated?

Assume another area or room already meets the 120 sq ft. min.

righter101 said:
Assume the step I have shown exists in a room that is 7'x10'. There is a uniform step up of 7 inches within a bedroom. 1/2 the bedroom has, say a 9'3" ceiling height, the remainder has a 10'0" ceiling height. What provision of the IRC is being violated?

Assume another area or room already meets the 120 sq ft. min.
None, except the pink carpet.

Just wait

This is actually my house. The carpet isn't actually pink, just poor lighting. We have been building a new house on the property and will be moving in about 2 weeks.

I will take some pictures of this place before we tear it down. There is some picture worthy items you all should get a kick out of.

February 23rd 2011

To: XXXXXXXX Construction

Re: Modification Request for XXXXXX residence

Permit #XX-XXXX; TPN XXXXX

You have requested a modification of IRC (International Residential Code 2006 edition) section R310.1

R310.1 Emergency escape and rescue required.

(partial text only) “…shall have a sill height of not more than 44 inches above the floor….”

The main floor on the residence under construction has a bedroom with the egress window positioned 50” above rough floor framing. The exterior lower roof is pitched and constructed in a manner such that cutting the window opening to lower the opening to 44” would have a substantial detrimental effect on the building.

IRC section R104.10 allows the AHJ to grant such modifications when “special individual reason makes the strict letter of this code impractical and the modification is in compliance with the intent and purpose of this code and that such modification does not lessen health, life and fire safety requirements or structural.”

DISCUSSION:

The emergency escape and rescue openings required in sleeping rooms are one of the key fire and life safety elements of residential construction. The intent of the code is very clear. A room used for sleeping shall be provided with a method for occupants to leave the building in the event of a fire when passage through other portions of the house may not be possible. The intent is also to provide fully equipped rescue personnel access in to the building. The minimum sizes, heights, and other operational requirements establish a uniform standard to which rescue personnel can train.

Your proposal of creating a permanent window bench or seat, as referenced in the attached diagram provides an 18”-24” wide platform the entire length of the window. The method of construction provided will essentially create a raised floor (capable of withstanding the required 30# LL in sleeping rooms). The Washington State Building Code Council has specifically amended the IRC to allow “Stairs or ladders within an individual dwelling used for access to areas 200 square feet or less……” to be exempt from the requirements for code compliant stairs. Therefore, it can be reasonably be interpreted that a raised floor area is being created that is permitted to be accessed via means other than a code compliant stairway. In this instance, a step of approximately 18” will be utilized for access. The measurement from the egress window can be taken from the floor directly adjacent to it; that which would be utilized in the event of an emergency.

Review of the proposed configuration for compliance with the intent of the code reveals that it meets the intent. The area under the window will provide less than a 44 inch drop to any rescue personal attempting to enter in the event of an emergency. The reduced clearance from the top of the seat/raised floor, provided even greater access to the emergency exit that is afforded by a code maximum 44 inches.

When all the components are considered as a whole for this project, the structure is in compliance with the intent and purpose of the codes, as defined in IRC R101.3.

The configuration shall comply with the following requirements:

1) Shall be 18” minimum depth, as shown on the submitted drawing.

2) Shall be 24” maximum height

3) Shall be uniform height and depth under the entire window

4) Shall be constructed in a permanent manner, so as not to be readily removable, including but not limited to, permanent framing covered with finish material.

5) The required window shall comply with all other requirements found in R310

The request for modification is hereby granted. This modification is specific to the project referenced. All work for this project is subject to field inspection and approval.

Sincerely,

Thanks for sharing that, righter101.

arch sorry to hear you won't be in NJ.. I was in Newport last year. Loved the location.. could have done without the friggin detours after the storm. Jersey will definitely be closer. Went to NH too.. that was ridiculous.

Good Job righter 101!

I'm aware that my home county has made similar decisions in the past. I believe that you made the right one in this case as well.

Bill