• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Electric oven and hoods

So it is a Type II hood constructed "similar to" a Type I?
Yes they are similar
Type 1 hoods
are designed to be used with appliances that produce greasy by- products and smoke created while cooking. Type 1 hoods primarily deal with the removal of grease particles from the air they are often referred to as Grease Hoods. Type 1 hoods are often located above deep fryers, cook tops, open-flame stoves, conveyor-pizza ovens, char broilers, and more – basically kitchen equipment that are used to cook greasy foods. Because of the grease and grease by-products that are captured by the Type 1 hoods it is suggested to perform more regular cleanings on the types of hoods to help prevent damage and fire risks that can occur due to grease build up.

Type 2 Hoods focus on other types of kitchen appliances and equipment that don’t have to pertain directly to cooking. This type of equipment includes dishwashers, ovens, pasta cookers, and other equipment that doesn’t produce any smoke or grease that would need to be extracted. Since Type 2 hoods particularly deal with the removal of heat and steam from the air they are often referred to as Condensate Hoods and Heat Hoods. The Type 2 Condensate Hood is designed with a full perimeter gutter and drain to capture the condensation from steam that is exhausted. These types of hoods are used to clear the air from excess heat and moisture and help to create a more comfortable work environment.

Got that Mark, I just refuse to call it Type I without suppression as it does not meet IMC 509.1..It's a above and beyond Type II at best...

My other mantra

a Type I hood can be a Type II hood, But a Type II hood cannot be a Type I hood,

Repeat as needed

I seen fryers, stoves and grilles and ovens under the long same type 1 without the suppression system over just the oven The power to the oven does not shut down at activation of the extinguishing system. I always thought this was OK but not sure.

I seen fryers, stoves and grilles and ovens under the long same type 1 without the suppression system over just the oven The power to the oven does not shut down at activation of the extinguishing system. I always thought this was OK but not sure.

Supposed to shut down

The difference between a Type I and a Type II is the materials they are constructed with first,
then the type of the cooking appliances installed under that hood will determine if a suppression system is required.

507.2.3 Type I materials.
Type I hoods shall be constructed of steel having a minimum thickness of 0.0466 inch (1.181 mm)(No. 18 gage) or stainless steel not less than 0.0335 inch [0.8525 mm (No. 20 MSG)] in thickness.

507.3.1 Type II hood materials.
Type II hoods shall be constructed of steel having a minimum thickness of 0.0296 inch (0.7534 mm) (No. 22 gage) or stainless steel not less than 0.0220 inch (0.5550 mm) (No. 24 gage) in thickness, copper sheets weighing not less than 24 ounces per square foot (7.3 kg/m2) or of other approved material and gage.

507.2 Type I hoods.
Type I hoods shall be installed where cooking appliances produce grease or smoke as a result of the cooking process. Type I hoods shall be installed over medium-duty, heavy-duty and extra-heavy-duty cooking appliances.
EXTRA-HEAVY-DUTY COOKING APPLIANCE. Extra-heavy-duty cooking appliances are those utilizing
open flame combustion of solid fuel at any time.

HEAVY-DUTY COOKING APPLIANCE. Heavy-duty cooking appliances include electric under-fired broilers, electric chain (conveyor) broilers, gas under-fired broilers, gas chain (conveyor) broilers, gas open-burner ranges (with or without oven), electric and gas wok ranges, smokers, smoker ovens, and electric and gas over-fired (upright) broilers and salamanders.

MEDIUM-DUTY COOKING APPLIANCE. Mediumduty cooking appliances include electric discrete element ranges (with or without oven), electric and gas hot-top ranges, electric and gas griddles, electric and gas double-sided griddles, electric and gas fryers (including open deep fat fryers, donut fryers, kettle fryers and pressure fryers), electric and gas conveyor pizza ovens, electric and gas tilting skillets (braising pans) and electric and gas rotisseries.

What type of oven is it? A rotisserie, a smoker oven and a pizza conveyor oven will require a suppression system and a type I constructed hood.
All others would not require a suppression system and therefore the shunt would not be required

Correct...It can be "constructed as" a Type I hood, and not have suppression if it is not required to be a Type I hood. That is what I would document it as. A medium duty oven regardless of process and grease or smoke (unless it meets the below exception) gets a Type I hood with suppression as required by 2015 IMC 507.2 and 509.1....

Exception: A Type I hood shall not be required for an
electric cooking appliance where an approved testing
agency provides documentation that the appliance effluent
contains 5 mg/m3 or less of grease when tested at an
exhaust flow rate of 500 cfm (0.236 m3/s) in accordance
with UL 710B.

Are these are good electric oven and hoods?? Because I really need a good electric oven as I was looking for one for the past some days.