• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Electronic plan review

Plans examiner took a photo of a drawing, opened it up under bluebeam as a PDF, added his comments and emailed it to the contractor in the field.
This program is awsome

Dang, that is almost as good as a napkin review !

Reactions: JBI
Software Currently Available – The software currently being used by local departments near me:

Avolve Project Dox – Santa Monica, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Los Angeles, CA (Testing), Long Beach, CA (Testing)

E-PlanSoft – Long Beach, CA (Testing)

Bluebeam Revue – Transtech Engineers, CSG Consulting (outside agency to many jurisdictions in CA)

Autodesk Design Review – City of Orange, CA

Adobe Acrobat PDF – County of Orange, CA

I'll also be marketing a electronic fire sprinkler hydraulic calculation plan review module in the near future when I'm ready to get the gold watch :). I'm sure the other products MH mentions are good but from my many years of experience doing this using Adobe and now Bluebeam, the BB is the best and easiest to drive out of the shoot. Embrace the future and get ahead of the curve, the customers will love you.

Ok software

How about hardware???

One monitor ?? Two monitors ???

What size???

45". 72". 85"??

22" monitor for word documents and a minimum 50" TV for plans. We bought our TV's for about $800.00 which is way cheaper than a monitor of the same size. IT had to upgrade a card in one computer to run the larger TV and dual screen set up.
We have an 80" in our small conference room. Designers plug in their laptops and pop their designs up on the TV. everyone in the room can see the drawings without hovering around a table.
It is the future and the future is here

At the shop I use duel 22" monitors but privately I use the laptop and HDMI cable to my 70" Samsung smart TV. I wish I had the budget of MT :)

Just read this bit about Bluebeam usage in the industry:

upload_2016-7-14_11-59-55.png

We are using a 40inchish 4k tv and a 24 inch wide screen monitor. IT installed the right video card. We can have two 8 1/2x11 docs on the smaller monitor and almost full size plans on the other. The 4k allows us to blow up to really see the small details.

Looking at upcoming budget year

Any updates on a tv/monitor to buy??

Size

options

I do not know anything about the 4K

4K is not needed but it is what the tv industry is going to. We are using 1080P and they work fine. We started with 50 inch and passed them off to the inspectors and got 60 inch for the plans examiners. You may be able to get a great a deal on a 1080P If you can find one

Follow up, just posted a tread in the training section and would value your opinions. I taught a class and it went well for the first time having live participation online by attendees. I believe it will be a great break-out session for anyone wanting to dive into this style of plan review. Looking for interest as an offering in other venues.

California uses Iron Mountain for paper and DSA is using Blue beam. A bit of a learning curve for us "old-timers".
I will miss paper, it is like trying to use a Kindle without actually turning the page. It also requires "large" screens for old eyes to see the images.
"If" the lights go out we will all be in trouble without paper.