• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Elevated Buildings in flood zone and exit access and exit discharge

CCTX_Architect

First post - wanted to make a good one.
I am trying to interpret a few things mainly including "Building" and "exit discharge". Quick code items = type II-B, full concrete construction, fully sprinklered, Business occupancy, 462 total occupants, 24,217 total SF (1st & 2nd floors), V-22 flood zone.

We have an elevated building in a Velocity Zone so we have our building elevated up out of the flood plane. I am reading the building definition [Any structure used or intended for supporting or sheltering any use or occupancy] as a structure [That which is built or constructed] is not the under building space because it is not allowed to be occupied and technically has no occupancy. Then we get to the egress stairs, we have 3, two of which are in shafts that go from ground level to 2nd floor. If you read Exit Discharge [That portion of a means of egress system between the termination of an exit and a public way.] the stair is the exit access, the doors on the ground level are the exit, and the open air space under the building (27' for Stair A and 35' for Stair B) is the exit discharge. Even OSHA has that their exit discharge is, 1910.36(c)(1) Each exit discharge must lead directly outside or to a street, walkway, refuge area, public way, or open space with access to the outside.

There was a comment early on that development services thought that it is under the roof / floor and thus part of the building. I believe that the code reads that the ground level is part of the area, but not part of the building. The suggestion of using exit passageways [An exit component that is separated from other interior spaces of a building or structure by fire-resistance-rated construction and opening protectives and provides for a protected path of egress travel in a horizontal direction to an exit or to the exit discharge. ] doesn't make sense due to not having any "interior" areas other than the elevator and stair shafts. We would then need to A/C and ventilate this space, but can't because of the Design Flood Elevation.

I am curious on others interpretations and if other that design in flood zones what their take is.... We do not think that we need to create an enclosed passageway to the underside of the exterior wall. The underside of the building is all open air.

Thoughts / comments?

Welcome

Not my area give it a few days for replies

Seems like the city would have some design standards for raised buildings

An exit passageway wouldn't have to be air conditioned or ventilated. The walls might have to be knockout panels in a V zone.

1028.1 General. Exits shall discharge directly to the exterior
of the building.

Would you call the space under "interior"? Do they have to heat it then?

1028.1 General. Exits shall discharge directly to the exterior
of the building.

Would you call the space under "interior"? Do they have to heat it then?

kind of

no

It sounds like ground floor/ outside is under the “ horizontal projection”

[BG] AREA, BUILDING. The area included within surrounding exterior walls, or exterior walls and fire walls, exclusive of vent shafts and courts. Areas of the building not provided with surrounding walls shall be included in the building area if such areas are included within the horizontal projection of the roof or floor above