• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

emergency escape and garage

There is a door between the basement living areas (stair-mudroom-storage-mechanical) and the garage, as required by 302.5.

Yes

But you still walk onto the garage floor to exit

Which 311.1 does not allow

"""to the required egress door without requiring travel through a garage""

Yes

But you still walk onto the garage floor to exit

Which 311.1 does not allow

"""to the required egress door without requiring travel through a garage""

That is egress, not EERO. How is EERO linked to means of egress? Egress requires a door, EERO can be a window.
Section 311 already says I can use a stair if I don't have an egress door:
R311.4 Vertical Egress. Egress from habitable levels including habitable attics and basements not provided with an egress door in accordance with Section R311.2 shall be by a ramp in accordance with Section R311.8 or a stairway in accordance with Section R311.7.

""is EERO linked to means of egress?""

Normally they are not, but can be

If the basement has a door directly to the outside,,, it can act as an exit and it can act as the eero.

There are two requirements to be met

Exit

And

EERO

So the plan has to show both

Plus meet code

R310.1 states that an eero shall open directly to a public way or a yard or court that is open to a public way. The garage is out.

R310.1 states that an eero shall open directly to a public way or a yard or court that is open to a public way. The garage is out.

Is your assumption the garage is not part of the basement?

The garage door (EERO) does open directly to a yard.
The garage is in the basement.

How does this not meet code?
Where in the code does it say this is not valid?

Just like a bedroom window or door could not open to a garage

It is not a public way as in outside the house

You still have an intervening room to go through

And this provision

R310.2.4 Emergency escape and rescue openings under decks and porches.
Emergency escape and rescue openings shall be permitted to be installed under decks and porches provided that the location of the deck allows the emergency escape and rescue openings to be fully opened and provides a path not less than 36 inches (914 mm) in height to a """". yard or court. """"

It is not us you have to convince that your current set up is legal

It is the ahj

And they should have an appeals process to use

There are no bedrooms or habital spaces in this basement, but it exceeds the 200 s.f. exemption.

In general terms the what you were told is correct, it is possible to argue that there is less than minimum occupiable space in the basement to require an EERO (see commentary to definition of basement below).

First a little history; the 2003 IRC limited EERO in basements with habitable space, this condition was since removed to infer basements with occupiable space with more than 200 sf.

Depending on what code was adopted before the I-codes one may find existing unfinished basements of any size identified as storage and did not require an EERO. Now the 2015 R310.6 provides a new exception for basements without an EERO to require one for creating new bedrooms during alterations.

BASEMENT. A story that is not a story above grade plane. (see “Story above grade plane”).

Commentary. “Defined as ‘a story that is not a story above grade,’ a basement is further identified in the provisions in Section R202 for a ‘story above grade.’ Specific provisions, including the requirement for emergency escape and rescue openings in Section R310.1, are applicable for those floor levels meeting the criteria for basements. The presence of occupiable space below grade level causes various concerns that are addressed by the code.

STORY ABOVE GRADE PLANE. Any story having its finished floor surface entirely above grade plane, or in which the finished surface of the floor next above is:

1. More than 6 feet above grade plane; or

2. More than 12 feet above the finished ground level at any point.

OCCUPIED SPACE. The total area of all buildings or structures on any lot or parcel of ground projected on a horizontal plane, excluding permitted projections as allowed by this code.

R201.3 Terms defined in other codes. Where terms are not defined in this code such terms shall have meanings ascribed to them as in other code publications of the International Code Council.

OCCUPIABLE SPACE. A room or enclosed space designed for human occupancy in which individuals congregate for amusement, educational or similar purposes or in which occupants are engaged at labor, and which is equipped with means of egress and light and ventilation facilities meeting the requirements of this code.

Commentary. “Occupiable spaces are those areas designed for human occupancy. It applies to both residential and nonresidential spaces alike. Most spaces in a building are occupiable spaces. Based on the nature of the occupancy, various code sections apply. All habitable spaces are also considered occupiable (see the definition of “Habitable space”). However, all occupiable spaces are not habitable. Additionally, some spaces are neither habitable nor occupiable. The code identifies crawl spaces, attics, penthouses and elevated platforms (mechanical or industrial equipment) as unoccupied spaces. Since the code generally states how these spaces must be accessed, but does not specifically require means of egress, they would not be occupiable spaces. If access is limited to maintenance and service personnel, it is likely that a space is not occupiable.”

Last edited:

This is IBC commentary not irc, more than likely says the same thing

ibc comment.jpg

Last edited:
The "garage" door would be permitted to serve as an EERO if the garage is actually a carport.

R309.2 Carports. Carports shall be open on at least two sides.

If it's an open area may consider labeling the garage as a patio.

Last edited:
R310.1.1 Operational constraints and opening control devices. Emergency escape and rescue openings shall be maintained free of any obstructions other than those allowed by this section and shall be operational from the inside of the room without the use of keys, tools or special knowledge.

Too many Earthlings would not be able to open a garage door without electricity. My brother-in-law has a switch next to the car door....behind a broom stand. That's a bit of special knowledge that I didn't have. The argument as to whether the garage and the basement are as one is moot. Provide a man door to the exterior from the garage and ask the AHJ what they think of that.

Just like a bedroom window or door could not open to a garage

It is not a public way as in outside the house

You still have an intervening room to go through

Where in this code does it state that is it prohibited to move through an intervening room?

Thanks to everyone for all the discussion you have provided on this issue. Here is my conclussions:

The 2015 IRC requires both an emergency escape and rescue opening(s) and a means of egress to be provided at basements.

C:\Users\tracy\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png

Let’s look at means of egress first:

Section R311.1 Means of egress.

Dwellings shall be provided with a means of egress in accordance with this section. The means of egress shall provide a continuous and unobstructed path of vertical and horizontal egress travel from all portions of the dwelling to the required egress door without requiring travel through a garage. The required egress door shall open directly into a public way or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.

Section R311.4 Vertical Egress.

Egress from habitable levels including habitable attics and basements not provided with an egress door in accordance with Section R311.2 shall be by a ramp in accordance with Section R311.8 or a stairway in accordance with Section R311.7.

I have provided a stair which leads directly to the main floor and once there I have provided an egress door that opens to the front yard. Per code I have provided a means of egress from the basement that does not travel through the garage.

C:\Users\tracy\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.png

Now let’s look at emergency escape and rescue opening(s):

Section 310.1 Emergency escape and rescue openings required.

Basements, habitable attics and every sleeping room shall have not less than one operable emergency escape and rescue opening. Where basements contain one or more sleeping rooms, an emergency escape and rescue opening shall be required in each sleeping room. Emergency escape and rescue openings shall open directly into a public way, or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.

Exception: Storm shelters and basements used only to house mechanical equipment not exceeding a total floor area of 200 square feet.

Section R310.3 Emergency escape and rescue doors.

Where a door is provided as the required emergency escape and rescue opening, it shall be permitted to be a side-hinged door or a slider. Where the opening is below the adjacent ground elevation, it shall be provided with a bulkhead enclosure.

I have a basement with no sleeping rooms so I’m required to provide one emergency escape and rescue opening. Nowhere in this section is it prohibited to provide an emergency escape and rescue opening in a garage. What I have not provided is a side-hinged door or a slider.

C:\Users\tracy\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image003.png

Remedy Options:

1. Convert 8’-0” x 8’-0” roll-up garage door to a side-hinged carriage door.

2. On east garage wall push the retaining structure back and provide one of the following:

A. 2’-6” x 6’-8” door, or

B. 2’-6” x 5’-0” vertical sliding window (44” max. sill height.)

Option 2B is my recommended option.

In conclusion, my review and analysis has found the code does not prohibit EERO’s in a garage; the code prohibits egress through a garage.
EERO’s and egress are separate issues, discussed in separate code sections.

I think your interpretation is not shared by others.

You still have to convince the ahj that how you interpret is what the code requires.

So, you should have the appeals process open to you, for that.

I do not deal with residential much, but from what I read you need

An exit

An EERO

And they have to comply with the code.

Going through the garage in anyway, does not meet code.

Am I missing something?

I've stayed out of this, watching the fun. But, I will weigh in......more in line with Francis and ICE. Here is my reason.......R310.1

"Emergency escape and rescue openings shall open directly into a public way, or to a yard or court that opens to a public way."

But, try your logic out with the AHJ, see what happens.

Thanks to everyone for all the discussion you have provided on this issue. Here is my conclussions:

The 2015 IRC requires both an emergency escape and rescue opening(s) and a means of egress to be provided at basements.

C:\Users\tracy\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png

Let’s look at means of egress first:

Section R311.1 Means of egress.

Dwellings shall be provided with a means of egress in accordance with this section. The means of egress shall provide a continuous and unobstructed path of vertical and horizontal egress travel from all portions of the dwelling to the required egress door without requiring travel through a garage. The required egress door shall open directly into a public way or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.

Section R311.4 Vertical Egress.

Egress from habitable levels including habitable attics and basements not provided with an egress door in accordance with Section R311.2 shall be by a ramp in accordance with Section R311.8 or a stairway in accordance with Section R311.7.

I have provided a stair which leads directly to the main floor and once there I have provided an egress door that opens to the front yard. Per code I have provided a means of egress from the basement that does not travel through the garage.

C:\Users\tracy\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.png

Now let’s look at emergency escape and rescue opening(s):

Section 310.1 Emergency escape and rescue openings required.

Basements, habitable attics and every sleeping room shall have not less than one operable emergency escape and rescue opening. Where basements contain one or more sleeping rooms, an emergency escape and rescue opening shall be required in each sleeping room. Emergency escape and rescue openings shall open directly into a public way, or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.

Exception: Storm shelters and basements used only to house mechanical equipment not exceeding a total floor area of 200 square feet.

Section R310.3 Emergency escape and rescue doors.

Where a door is provided as the required emergency escape and rescue opening, it shall be permitted to be a side-hinged door or a slider. Where the opening is below the adjacent ground elevation, it shall be provided with a bulkhead enclosure.

I have a basement with no sleeping rooms so I’m required to provide one emergency escape and rescue opening. Nowhere in this section is it prohibited to provide an emergency escape and rescue opening in a garage. What I have not provided is a side-hinged door or a slider.

C:\Users\tracy\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image003.png

Remedy Options:

1. Convert 8’-0” x 8’-0” roll-up garage door to a side-hinged carriage door.

2. On east garage wall push the retaining structure back and provide one of the following:

A. 2’-6” x 6’-8” door, or

B. 2’-6” x 5’-0” vertical sliding window (44” max. sill height.)

Option 2B is my recommended option.

In conclusion, my review and analysis has found the code does not prohibit EERO’s in a garage; the code prohibits egress through a garage.
EERO’s and egress are separate issues, discussed in separate code sections.

Not seeing the image you posted.