• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Existing Home Garage Conversion to ADU

If the joist are 16" OC then you can use IBC chapter 7 other wise it is not hard to find one hour floor ceiling assemblies
Remember the fireside is the ceiling and 2 layers of type X or C is all most assemblies use
The fireside for supporting construction in the conversion of the garage is the interior side so again it will be a simple single or double layer to achieve this unless CA have amended the IRC

If the fireside is ceiling only, why do many floor/clg. assemblies require a double wood floor or concrete topping? Would that be for acoustic control?

If the fireside is ceiling only, why do many floor/clg. assemblies require a double wood floor or concrete topping? Would that be for acoustic control?

My take,,
Sometimes part of the fire rated tested assembly

Poster is from Daly City, CA; what say you to CBC requirements Mark,.
is this a local AHJ call?

I know that some jurisdictions review it as Two Family Dwelling Units. Because there are 2 families living there. Requiring 1 hour fire rated assembly separation and Noise attenuation. But according to this thread it is not needed in some jurisdictions. So yes it would be the call of the AHJ. This applies more to CA because of the “housing crisis” and recent legislation.

upload_2019-10-2_15-45-53.png
3G A-600-2009 FIRE RESISTANCE DESIGN MANUAL
The Hard Part will not be the fire rating, which is required but you will need a 50 STC and ICC rating

Problem:
Existing 2 story home would like to convert the existing 1st floor Garage to ADU. Code section R302.3 requires a 1-hr floor assembly between the two dwelling units, and 1-hr rating at the supporting construction. What have you seen as design solutions. People will not want to reconstructed the floor assembly to create the 1-Hr rated assembly.
One possible solution is shown in the link below:
https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bds/appeals/index.cfm?action=getfile&appeal_id=14189&file_id=14773

I am looking for a tested listed and approved retrofit 1-hr fire rated floor assembly or any creative solutions.
Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Did you find a creative solution? I have an exact condition and I have no issues finding a 1 hour rating assembly the hard part is meeting the stc 50 requirement.

Converting an existing home garage into an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) is a great way to maximize space and potentially generate additional rental income or accommodate family members. Here are some key points to consider if you're planning such a conversion:

• Check Local Regulations and Zoning Laws:
  • Permitting and Approvals:
  • Design and Layout:
  • Structural and Safety Considerations:
  • Insulation and Ventilation:
  • Utilities and Plumbing:
  • Parking and Access:
  • Aesthetics and Integration:
Remember, consulting with professionals like architects, contractors, and local authorities will help ensure a successful and compliant conversion of your garage into an ADU. Each location might have unique requirements, so understanding and adhering to these guidelines is key to a smooth and legal conversion process.