• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Failed inspection for having rj45 supported on seismic hanging wire

I have created a few checklists, and they were among the ones I felt had no value. I find two major issues with checklists: #1, I feel that anytime you try to condense the code into a "top ten" list, you are giving tacit approval for them to ignore everything not on the list (at least in their eyes). And when inspection (or review) points out something not on the list the applicant screams that they weren't about it, and #2 they tend get so big (because you don't want the screaming in concern #1) they become worthless (at least the ones I wrote).
I agree with your opinion of checklists...up to a point. I found a checklist for plan checking useful...Although I have a building plan check certification, unless I do plan check on a regular basis I get rusty. As to inspection checklists go, I've made a few but never used one. Well once or twice but I see it as a cause for tunnel vision.

What I have found immensely helpful is handouts. I spent about five, maybe six, years in a contract city. I was mostly a one man show so I had latitude to do what I wanted as long as the city manager was on board. Hell's Bells, I changed the office hours without consulting the County. Turns out I didn't have authority to do that but it was six months too late to inform me of that. Well anyway, I had a handout for almost everything. I went to many building departments and searched for handouts. From Yorba Linda to Paradise Ca., yes that Paradise Ca. I had dozens that I doctored to eliminate any reference to the author. If I was getting too familiar with a particular issue during inspection I came up with a handout. The window installation hand out was a game changer.

It just seems so backwards to tell people about their mistakes after they make them when we could have closed the gate before the horses got out. So as I issued a permit, I stapled a relevant handout to the permit. That worked for a few years and then I new inspector was sent to the office to help. He was new to the occupation and was told that he was my equal.. in rank. One day I went to the file cabinet for a handout and discovered that the cupboard was bare. The new guy had sent it all to the dumpster because they lacked a County seal.

The search continues and if he is ever found I'll probably be facing questions.

Last edited:
I use a checklist on inspections, but it is more of a "did you remember to check" list. It is almost always the last thing I look at on an inspection. If it is not, it is because I forgot to look at something on the list!

Pick up the phone and call before you send the response.
I do it all the time, if for no other reason than to start a dialogue. My job is to try to determine compliance, I will do that any way I can, which very often includes face to face...or phone to phone interaction. Speaking with applicants and designers often provides me with a better understanding and enables me to alter or delete comments, so the time on the phone is also made up later. I would note how often I hear that I am among the few building officials who will do so. My cell number is listed on every correspondence I send and is not blocked when I make calls. I am providing a service that they are paying for, why should it be worse than any other business?