• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Final inspection without power

We require the power to be on for the final inspection. We do a temporary final electrical inspection where the house is buttoned up, all outlets, lights, switches, garbage disposal, dishwasher etc.... We spot check various items, outlets, switches etc to verify wiring...... Also on the temp electrical final we require the face of the panel to be removed so we can verify installation. Once we've determined all is well we okay the power to be turned on.

Then when we do the CO we verify everything works properly...water heater, sd's, afci's, gfci's, ac, heat etc.

jwelectric said:
Here in NC it is illegal to connect power to a building before the CO is issued. Want power Mr. Inspector, issue me a temporary CO.What I have a hard time dealing with is why power has to be to a building to see if something complies with the installation rules of the NEC. Wanting power to be on a building for testing sounds to me like the inspector wants to do the punch list for the general contractor instead of doing an inspection. It is not the place of the inspector to see if it works or not it is their place to inspect the compliance of the installation and to do this does not require power.

For those of you who cry for power so you can do your job I have a simple question, who is providing you with the tools for compliance with the rules set forth by OSHA and NFPA 70E. If they can afford to issue you all this PPE why can’t they afford to buy you a ladder?
Can you site where in the NC code that it states that it is illegal without a CO?

jim baird said:
Here we have a special site visit when sparky says he is ready, so that utility will come plug in the meter.
Same here. Power guy doesn't see my sticker, no meter will be installed. They need to have power for me to issue a C of O.

Last edited by a moderator:
99% of the time, the meter gets set after rough-ins pass, and the service inspection passes. Enclosure is stickered, meter gets stabbed.

If there is no power:

How do you check for functioning:

lighting over stairways

smoke detectors

carbon monoxide detectors

hot water

heat

etc. etc. etc.

As my grandson would say. It's re-dic-a lus

Just because it is off the grid does not exempt one from meeting the code requirements

Gregg Harris said:
Can you site where in the NC code that it states that it is illegal without a CO?
Article 10 - Administrative Section

10.7 Service Utilities

10.7.1 Connection of Service Utilities – No person shall make connections from a utility, source of energy, fuel or power to any building or system which is regulated by the technical codes until approved by the Inspection Department and a Certificate of Compliance is issued (General Statute 143-143.2)

permitguy said:
I couldn't care less about the electrician's opinion on the matter, because it isn't the electrician who needs the CO.
Sure, just fall back on R104.1. Do what ever you want, enforce whatever you feel like. Possibly the worst article ever written.

R104.1 General.
The building official is hereby authorized and directed to enforce the provisions of this code. The building official shall have the authority to render interpretations of this code and to adopt policies and procedures in order to clarify the application of its provisions. Such interpretations, policies and procedures shall be in conformance with the intent and purpose of this code. Such policies and procedures shall not have the effect of waiving requirements specifically provided for in this code.
Your perception of the intent of the code may very greatly from mine.

Just kill me.

10.7.1 Connection of Service Utilities – No person shall make connections from a utility, source of energy, fuel or power to any building or system which is regulated by the technical codes until approved by the Inspection Department and a Certificate of Compliance is issued (General Statute 143-143.2)
I don't know about NC, but a "Certificate of Compliance" is generally not the same thing as a "Certificate of Occupancy". It's usually a piece of paper that tells the utility provider that the AHJ has approved an inspection and is allowing the subsequent connection to the utility to be made.

Sure, just fall back on R104.1. Do what ever you want, enforce whatever you feel like.
I was thinking more in the 109.1.5 or 110.3 range (or any of the other various sections posted above), but yes, the point is that this is administrative and not electrical code driven. I wouldn't argue this point with an electrician in the field any more than I'd argue guardrail spacing with the painters.

Well Chris, now that you are back from the dead, you are one guy I would trust for an electrical installation at a final.

There really isn't all that much to do at a final.

I check the arc faults to make sure that the right circuits are covered but beyond the labeling at the panel, I don't verify all the other circuits such as the two kitchen small appliance, etc. Some have mentioned the A/C and other appliances....I don't operate them and an appliance that does not work couldn't be any safer.

So anyway, that's what I would do for you without power but don't be giving Dennis any ideas.

ICE ( and others),

If all of the electrical work has been completed, and the circuits are

not able to be checked for use, how will the AHJ state that the structure

has met compliance?

EX: The circuits to the appliances have been installed, but one of

the circuits inadvertently has been compromised with a sheetrock

screw or a framing nail, or other. If the appliances aren't checked

for operational use, can the inspectors pass the inspection?

Here, ..No!

Your jurisdiction may be different!

Chris,

Also, welcome back from the dead! You are awarded another

"big cookie" to help you in your recuperation! :D

permitguy said:
I don't know about NC, but a "Certificate of Compliance" is generally not the same thing as a "Certificate of Occupancy". It's usually a piece of paper that tells the utility provider that the AHJ has approved an inspection and is allowing the subsequent connection to the utility to be made.That was my point in NC and most jurisdictions they are to separate certifications.

I was thinking more in the 109.1.5 or 110.3 range (or any of the other various sections posted above), but yes, the point is that this is administrative and not electrical code driven. I wouldn't argue this point with an electrician in the field any more than I'd argue guardrail spacing with the painters.
That was my point in NC and most jurisdictions they are to separate certifications.

My previous jurisdiction was in NC, we required temporary power inspections. I guess we were breaking the law.

Sifu said:
My previous jurisdiction was in NC, we required temporary power inspections. I guess we were breaking the law.
That lawbreaking stuff follows you around huh.

permitguy said:
I don't know about NC, but a "Certificate of Compliance" is generally not the same thing as a "Certificate of Occupancy". It's usually a piece of paper that tells the utility provider that the AHJ has approved an inspection and is allowing the subsequent connection to the utility to be made.I was thinking more in the 109.1.5 or 110.3 range (or any of the other various sections posted above), but yes, the point is that this is administrative and not electrical code driven. I wouldn't argue this point with an electrician in the field any more than I'd argue guardrail spacing with the painters.
Once a certificate of compliance is issued then what would one use to turn anything down? I would have a paper that said the inspector has signed off on my work therefore the issues between me and the inspector is done.

It is not the purpose of any inspector to see that something works it is to see if it is installed in a compliant manner. If it don’t work properly then that would be an issue between the contractor and the buyer.

jwelectric said:
Once a certificate of compliance is issued then what would one use to turn anything down? I would have a paper that said the inspector has signed off on my work therefore the issues between me and the inspector is done. It is not the purpose of any inspector to see that something works it is to see if it is installed in a compliant manner. If it don’t work properly then that would be an issue between the contractor and the buyer.
At that stage. If you are in a jurisdiction that has a multi-stage inspection then you would not be done. If someone is inspecting rough-ins before drywall and passes the inspection they can still fail your inspection at final. Also, if the function of something is required by code if it does not function then it is not compliant.

we do a "construction meter" inspection, where, if lights, outlets appliances are in, they get energized, then we go back and do final, check all outlets, lights, smokes water heater etc, etc, etc as part of "final for co"