• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Final inspection without power

Sifu

SAWHORSE
How common is it for a final inspection to be approved when there is no electrical power to the structure? No meter set on the house, no temporary power, no system check.

Happens all the time. It shouldn't but it does.

I was talking to a contractor while issuing a permit. He told me of the last house he built in the mountains. After passing the footing inspection the inspector handed him the Certificate of Occupancy.

how can you inspect the electrical without electricity? that would be like trying to do a framing inspection if the siding and interior finishes were installed before the inspection.

Do you need power on to verify an install is code compliant??? I think not. The homes we do here are huge and we pull a separate '30 day Temp for Test' permit well before final. Alot of our trim work goes in mill work, and we don't install mill work in this humidity without a climate controlled atmosphere.

chris kennedy said:
Do you need power on to verify an install is code compliant???
Maybe you don't need it but it certainly makes things a lot simpler and more thorough in many cases. How do you test a GFCI without power for example?

GBrackins said:
how can you inspect the electrical without electricity? that would be like trying to do a framing inspection if the siding and interior finishes were installed before the inspection.
More like getting a framing inspection with all the lumber in piles on the ground.

we require at least temp power (inspected apartment units from their generator); couldn't do hot water or heating, but got some of the units partially finalled (obviously, there was a deadline issue for the contractor/developer).

Sifu said:
How common is it for a final inspection to be approved when there is no electrical power to the structure? No meter set on the house, no temporary power, no system check.
for NSFRs that is unpossible in our AHJ! But then again, we do not deal with remote sites where power availability is an issue.

How are the lighting, hot water, and heating requirements being met?

While you could design a house to comply with the IRC without electricity, most depend on electrical energy for various required features.

Windmill for water pump to elevated tank.

Solar water heater.

Gas or kerosene lights for stairs or single story design.

Wood or coal fired gravity heating system.

Battery powered smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.

&

Sifu,

IMO, it is "uncommon" to not have electrical power supplied to

and fully on when a project final inspection is requested &

performed.......Various [ electrical ] components need to be

checked.

Some that come to mind are: the arc fault & ground fault circuits,

...smoke detectors without the main electrical power on, ...exhaust

fans that actually exhaust out rather than pull air into the

bathroom space & the various electrical appliances, ...testing

various circuits to see if any have been penetrated / compromised

with a nail, screw, or other.

Obviously, every jurisdiction is going to be different though!

If possible, check with the AHJ.

$ #

R107.2 conformance, R107.3 temp power and R107.4 termination of approval

pc1

So many code issues, could you see to go up or down stairways inside or out? could'nt test the smokes, arc's or gfci's! Take your flashlight so you can see the panel box labels. Do you look under the kitchen sink, does the pig work? Kinda cold in here, could you turn on the furnace, "oh I forgot the powers off!"

pc1

Except for a few ambiguous posts every one said what I thought they would say. I was sent to another final inspection where no power was on. The builder told me my office told him he couldn't get his meter set until I passed his final. He is correct. My office told him that. They don't get it, don't want to get it. The "AHJ/BO" doesn't understand why I need power to final a house. I told him pretty much what all your posts said. The problem I have with him is we have state electrical inspectors and they passed the electrical final...with no power. I asked them how they could do that and was told they are not allowed to require temporary power. Now I have to issue a CO. How can I certify a structure as fit for human occupancy if it has no power, water (if pumped), septic, (if pumped) primary smoke detector power, lighting, heating, cooling etc, etc, etc.? Heres how. I wrote it up that the county has no provisions requiring temporary power therefore I was unable to check any power related systems and that the CO would be issued upon orders from the county BO. Don't know if that covers me but I am tired of fighting with them about it. BTW, the vast majority of the builders here voluntarily get a temp power so this is only the second time this has happened. I just wanted verification that the system here is crazy, like I need any more verification!

Here in NC it is illegal to connect power to a building before the CO is issued. Want power Mr. Inspector, issue me a temporary CO.

What I have a hard time dealing with is why power has to be to a building to see if something complies with the installation rules of the NEC. Wanting power to be on a building for testing sounds to me like the inspector wants to do the punch list for the general contractor instead of doing an inspection. It is not the place of the inspector to see if it works or not it is their place to inspect the compliance of the installation and to do this does not require power.

For those of you who cry for power so you can do your job I have a simple question, who is providing you with the tools for compliance with the rules set forth by OSHA and NFPA 70E. If they can afford to issue you all this PPE why can’t they afford to buy you a ladder?

What I have a hard time dealing with is why power has to be to abuilding to see if something complies with the installation rules of the NEC.
No disrespect intended or directed, but in some areas of this great country,

(some) contractors do not install according to the NEC, or any other standard,

except maybe "the profit standard".

If no one is inspecting the work installed, how many reputable contractors

are out there installing their work according to the NEC or IRC or another

recognized set of standards? Not very many!

FWIW, I DO have my own ladder and I use it regularly. Very much to the

dismay of the contractors I inspect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here we have a special site visit when sparky says he is ready, so that utility will come plug in the meter.

Also in GA now on new residential there has to be a duct and envelope tightness test and a blower door test by a third party. That would not be possible with no power.

globe trekker said:
No disrespect intended or directed, but in some areas of this great country,(some) contractors do not install according to the NEC, or any other standard,

except maybe "the profit standard".

If no one is inspecting the work installed, how many reputable contractors

are out there installing their work according to the NEC or IRC or another

recognized set of standards? Not very many!

FWIW, I DO have my own ladder and I use it regularly. Very much to the

dismay of the contractors I inspect.
You will be hard pressed to find anyone any more pro inspections than me.

What I have a hard time accepting is that an inspector has to have power on a building to make an inspection.

On a side note, one will find just as many bad inspectors as bad electricians. Inspectors are not immune to going bad in their work ethics.

The argument against power at final comes largely from electricians who want to imply that "inspectors don't need power to verify my installation complies with the IRC/NEC". They're missing the point, though. The need for power goes far beyond verifying a compliant electrical installation. The designer/owner/general contractor made a decision to rely on power for compliance with any number of code provisions; therefore, power is required prior to occupancy.

I couldn't care less about the electrician's opinion on the matter, because it isn't the electrician who needs the CO.