• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Alarm Control Panels

Thanks "cda" for your input!

I'm not sure the Automatic Fire Alarm Association would be the resource to consult

with concerning Civil Rights legislation. They may be, but I'm thinking more along

the lines of the DOJ, or the (Federal) Access Board for a legal position.

The real question is, ..does the current tenant space occupant, or the RDP's, or the

FACP contractor-of-record, or the AHJ have legal exposure by this FACP not being

installed within the reach ranges required in the sections listed?

I do not know! I am not an attorney, nor do I want to play one in this box!

globe trekker said:
Thanks to you all for your input!I may have an Exception to apply! From the 2006 IBC, Section 1109.13 =

Controls, operating mechanisms and hardware:

Controls, operating mechanisms and hardware intended for operation by the occupant,

including switches that control lighting and ventilation and electrical convenience

outlets, in accessible spaces, along accessible routes or as parts of accessible elements

shall be accessible.

Exceptions:

1. Operable parts that are intended for use only by service or maintenance personnel

shall not be required to be accessible.

Your thoughts.. Also, wouldn't this cover the Reach Range requirements for the

electrical panels mentioned by "north star"?

This is why I suggested an annunciator panel. All functions that an owner may need to do can be done at this location leaving the control panel for service and maintanence.

cda,

In the 2003 edition of the ICC/ANSI A117.1, Section 702 = Alarms, this code section

section DOES defer to the NFPA for installation of the FACP's.......In reviewing the

2013 Edition of NFPA 13, Section 10.4 = Installation and Design, ..it does not

mention mounting heights (like you stated).

After reviewing all of the related code sections and standards, I am of the opinion

(at this point anyway), that the FACP does not need to be installed within the Reach

Ranges of Section 309 & 308, of the 2003 edition of the ICC/ANSI A117.1

Ya'lls thoughts..

globe trekker said:
cda,In the 2003 edition of the ICC/ANSI A117.1, Section 702 = Alarms, this code section

section DOES defer to the NFPA for installation of the FACP's.......In reviewing the

2013 Edition of NFPA 13, Section 10.4 = Installation and Design, ..it does not

mention mounting heights (like you stated).

After reviewing all of the related code sections and standards, I am of the opinion

(at this point anyway), that the FACP does not need to be installed within the Reach

Ranges of Section 309 & 308, of the 2003 edition of the ICC/ANSI A117.1

Ya'lls thoughts..

2003 NFPA 72 article 702.1 General. Accessible audible and visual alarms and notification appliances shall be installed in accordance with NFPA 72 listed in 105.2.2,

This specifically refrences alarm and notification appliances only. If the annunciators or alarm panels were meant to be included it would say fire alarm systems and not limit it to alarm and notification appliances only. I still think ICC/ansi applies.

Who is accessing this panel?

If this panel is what I think it is. Then it is the FD. Nature of that work it would be accessibility exempt, normally.

That stated, I would put it in the 48" reach range of ADA SAD.

These panels are typically accessed controlled.