• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Sprinklers at covered canopy with temporary enclosure?

cda,
I've read the commentary and I'm not trying to be difficult with you but what do you think they mean by "The extent of the protection provided would not be regulated." The example earlier in that paragraph mentions "certain areas". It sounds like they are acknowledging that a building owner could provide a non-required system in any space of a structure and it's acceptable as long as the installation of that system, ie. spacing, piping, inspection, monitoring, materials, testing, maint, water supply . etc would need to meet the requirements of NFPA 13 or 13R. Is it just bad language in the commentary?

Have no clue

But in the beginning to me it says if installed shall meet 13

plus the base language supports it.

And that section is not exclusive to fire sprinkler systems

I agree with them a structurally independent membrane structure is a separate fire area because it it not a projection of the horizontal roof of the building
Should it be sprinkled or not I am undecided

I agree with them a structurally independent membrane structure is a separate fire area because it it not a projection of the horizontal roof of the building
Should it be sprinkled or not I am undecided
If it is a separate fire area, is it a separate structure? If a separate structure, how does it comply with fire separation distances?

The canopy structure is similar, aluminum frame and a fabric that met 701. No sides at all currently, essentially shade and rain protection. They called the mechanical inspector about what type of heater they can use to heat the space when they enclose the side with a membrane from a local tent manufacturer. He referred them to our office for direction.

OK FOR CLARIFICATION

Is this whatever attached to the building????

Like in the pictures I posted

Or is it stand alone say at least one foot away from the building????

OK FOR CLARIFICATION

Is this whatever attached to the building????

Like in the pictures I posted

Or is it stand alone say at least one foot away from the building????
It's attached on one side to the end of the building.

OK, if you want to let them know you are serious, have the plumbing inspector request a new plumbing fixture count based on the new occupant load. This must be done regardless and may require them to add fixtures which may nix your problem. Just another thought outside the fire code.

Ok than stick with my statements

IBC /IFC have NO exceptions to omitting sprinklers for this area.

NFPA 13 does require sprinkler protection for overhangs over four feet.

Thanks for your patience cda and everyone else's.

OK, if you want to let them know you are serious, have the plumbing inspector request a new plumbing fixture count based on the new occupant load. This must be done regardless and may require them to add fixtures which may nix your problem. Just another thought outside the fire code.
We do this with any of the seasonal patios here.

No you can have multiple fire areas with a single building. Fire areas can be used in lieu of fire suppression requirements.
Sure, if separated by a fire barrier. Are they separated by a fire barrier?

Per T707.3.10, it would be required to be of 2-hr fire-resistance.

707.3.10 Fire Areas
The fire barriers or horizontal assemblies, or both, separating a single occupancy into different fire areas shall have a fire-resistance rating of not less than that indicated in Table 707.3.10. The fire barriers or horizontal assemblies, or both, separating fire areas of mixed occupancies shall have a fire-resistance rating of not less than the highest value indicated in Table 707.3.10 for the occupancies under consideration.

upload_2019-11-20_7-32-47.png

FWIW, the tent area can not function with out the the brick and mortar A2. Tell them no sprinklers they can not serve customers or occupy the area without proper separation.

This is a bit off topic but how does your sanitary facilities count work out with the increase in the patio area ?
I'll have to check. It's not typically my discipline. I think the building department plumbing inspector reviewed it when they added the canopy. I know the fixture count has come up before on similar projects.

The "use" of the roof makes it a roof to me...If you are "occupying" it and it is intended to make an area "occupiable"...It's part of the building. If it is to get you out of the rain as you enter the building, then not so much....Might want to check height and area for this "addition" as well...A pavillion has a fire area, a stadium has a fire area....one might have walls, one might have a roof...

[A] BUILDING. Any structure used or intended for supporting or sheltering any use or occupancy.