• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire station sleeping area

The tables are for buildings or stories that only have one exit then you have to provide an EERO if you have two exits then you do not have to provide EERO for R-2 occupancies
R-3 and R-4 are required to have EERO's no matter how many exits the building or story may have

2018 IBC
1030.1 General.
In addition to the means of egress required by this chapter, emergency escape and rescue openings shall be provided in the following occupancies:
1. Group R-2 occupancies located in stories with only one exit or access to only one exit as permitted by Tables 1006.3.3(1) and 1006.3.3(2).
2. Group R-3 and R-4 occupancies.

The tables are for buildings or stories that only have one exit then you have to provide an EERO if you have two exits then you do not have to provide EERO for R-2 occupancies
R-3 and R-4 are required to have EERO's no matter how many exits the building or story may have

2018 IBC
1030.1 General.
In addition to the means of egress required by this chapter, emergency escape and rescue openings shall be provided in the following occupancies:
1. Group R-2 occupancies located in stories with only one exit or access to only one exit as permitted by Tables 1006.3.3(1) and 1006.3.3(2).

Out of luck, this only has one stair/ exit

Unless you count the elevator and slide pole.

So why would it not fall under R-1.

Transient, only there every three days and sometimes there are temps from other stations and or shifts

2018 IBC
1030.1 General.

what he said.

< throws up a hand for a life preserver as I may have stepped of the dock.

cda, why are you trying to avoid EERO, I would not want to have my bunkroom without a window, sleeping in a closet does not sound healthy

< throws up a hand for a life preserver as I may have stepped of the dock.

cda, why are you trying to avoid EERO, I would not want to have my bunkroom without a window, sleeping in a closet does not sound healthy

I kind of agree, but when you go to a high rise hotel, you do.

I have a fire station coming up, and it was said that the windows will not be EERO. So I am trying to find out how they get there? 2015 IBC

Yes fire sprinklers

Two story, with sleeping on 2nd, and only one exit stair.

I do not know what occupancy they are calling it.

But appears to be able to do the above it has to be an R-1???

Unless I am missing something else in the code.

So reaching out to the experts/masters in the code field.

Isn't the safety of occupants a critical element of the code?

All the time,

Just trying to figure out

What is the best occupancy it fits in

and

A question, with fire sprinklers and the answer to the first question, are eero's required.

Appears if R-2, R-3 and R-4, the answer is yes, but R-1 No.

I kind of agree, but when you go to a high rise hotel, you do.

I have a fire station coming up, and it was said that the windows will not be EERO. So I am trying to find out how they get there? 2015 IBC

Yes fire sprinklers

Two story, with sleeping on 2nd, and only one exit stair.

I do not know what occupancy they are calling it.

But appears to be able to do the above it has to be an R-1???

Unless I am missing something else in the code.

So reaching out to the experts/masters in the code field.

The way they "got" there is possibly they were thinking of previous Code Editions where if you had a sprinkler system NO EERO's required, period. They may not be aware of the new requirements of the 2015 Edition. See my previous post.

Ken

TheCommish; Refer to footnote a also, EERO's required. As I mentioned in my previous post, earlier Editions simply said, if you have a sprinkler system NO EERO needed. This has been debated since the UBC days when R occupancies above the third floor in sprinklered buildings didn't need EERO's, then ICBO changed it to ALL R occupancies in a sprinklered building, which carried over to the IBC, until I think the 2015 when the reference to number of exits appeared. Classic ICC, lets muddy the waters.

Ken

This one?

The way I read R-1 does not require eero

And seems like a fire station might fit R-1

what is the size and occupant load of the 2nd floor of this fire station what it only has one exit?

We consider the bunk rooms sleeping units and classify them as R-2, when they are located on the 2nd floor we also provide two means of egress and always fully sprinkler the building, we have never needed to provide EERO. I should add that when we do a 2 story fire station there is usually more than just bunk rooms on the 2nd story (dayroom, gym, conference rooms, maybe some office space) and in most cases we have a minimum of two exits and an elevator.

what is the size and occupant load of the 2nd floor of this fire station what it only has one exit?

We consider the bunk rooms sleeping units and classify them as R-2, when they are located on the 2nd floor we also provide two means of egress and always fully sprinkler the building, we have never needed to provide EERO. I should add that when we do a 2 story fire station there is usually more than just bunk rooms on the 2nd story (dayroom, gym, conference rooms, maybe some office space) and in most cases we have a minimum of two exits and an elevator.

eight separate sleeping rooms, six separate bathroom/ restrooms and that is it .

eight separate sleeping rooms, six separate bathroom/ restrooms and that is it .

how many beds per bunk room? How many beds? In our designs the officers get a private bunk room and the other guys usually double up (sometimes more). If this is an R-1 or R-2 and you have more than 10 occupants you need a second exit.

how many beds per bunk room? How many beds? In our designs the officers get a private bunk room and the other guys usually double up (sometimes more). If this is an R-1 or R-2 and you have more than 10 occupants you need a second exit.

Sorry only eight beds/ eight people total/ eight separate sleeping rooms one bed per room.

That is the difference, a Fire house is a business occupancy, not a residence.
really?

the entire fire house is a business occupancy?

what about the apparatus bay? In all the fire houses I have done the assembly spaces are too large (over 750 sf) to fall under the B occupancy, and these spaces are generally more then 10% of the floor area and do not qualify as accessory use.

Our fire code plan reviewer recently called ICC to ask about the requirement of egress windows in a sprinkled residential occupancy. The gentleman explained that they get this same question at least once every day if not three times a day. They admit that the way the code is written is very confusing. Their answer is consistent with Ken H Smith above.

ok that was to broad of a statement, if the area was a dwelling unit EERO is need, not if it is a sleeping unit. I think, what say Tim or Ron ?
2015 IBC

View attachment 6673
View attachment 6674

View attachment 6672

In addition to the means of egress required by this chapter, provisions shall be made for emergency escape and rescue openings in Group R-2 occupancies in accordance with Tables 1006.3.2(1) and 1006.3.2(2) and Group R-3 occupancies. Basements and sleeping rooms below the fourth story above grade plane shall have at least one exterior emergency escape and rescue opening in accordance with this section. Where basements contain one or more sleeping rooms, emergency escape and rescue openings shall be required in each sleeping room, but shall not be required in adjoining areas of the basement. Such openings shall open directly into a public way or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.
Exceptions:
  1. Basements with a ceiling height of less than 80 inches (2032 mm) shall not be required to have emergency escape and rescue openings.
  2. Emergency escape and rescue openings are not required from basements or sleeping rooms that have an exit door or exit access door that opens directly into a public way or to a yard, court or exterior exit balcony that opens to a public way.
  3. Basements without habitable spaces and having not more than 200 square feet (18.6 m2) in floor area shall not be required to have emergency escape and rescue openings.