• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Floor joist toenailed to girder/beam.

I have run across this many times during framing inspections. Back when we were under the UBC, we allowed it. The IBC/IRC is pretty clear: hanger or PE review required.

I would agree that if done well - this technique is strong. Works, and has worked for decades. The problem I've always had is - I cannot see most of the nails, I have no idea what's behind those blocks. With a hanger I can see all the nails, check the size of the the hanger, generally see all of the "work".

I have had many a framer tell me "I've done it that way for years" And my answer is always the same: "I've seen it done that way for years, and I'm not saying you didn't do a good job, I'm just saying the code doesn't recognize this as an approved method."

For better or worse, my job as an inspector is to enforce the code. I have yet to see one of those framers get involved in the code adoption process, and suggest that pressure blocking be put in the code as an accepted method. Perhaps that is expecting too much involvement in the system?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've come across pressure blocks more than a few times. I allow it on short spans that don't amount to much. Not only can't you see the nails, you can't see if the framer overdid it with nails and split the board. Another iteration is a block at every other bay with a joist nailed at each end of the block.

The IBC/IRC is pretty clear: hanger or PE review required.
These "power blocks" / "pressure blocks" might be approved under R104.9 &R104.11 (2006 IRC) by the BO. The installation of them might be a problem

for the actual visual inspection of each block though! :eek:

Just remember where we started here... inferior, shoddy, won't work, etc. It does work, the rest is about satisfying Caeser. A ledger is assumed by code to be in shear. A 2x2 ledger typically fails by rolling off the girder... that is a combination of shear and withdrawal. If the joists are notched per code to rest on that ledger they will fail by splitting at the re-entrant corner of the notch. But you do get to count nails.