• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Floor Joist

Some hangers for end bearing of the joists in the second photo as others have said.

Generally you would want to fastened the joists together a little more regularly than at half spans if you want them to act as a unit, but this may not be required if the 2x10 are of the proper span. Personally, I would nail at 8" spacing to make sure they flex together.

As an AHJ, I can't police that, homeowners do crap like this all the time without permits. It's not uncommon to see car jacks under a 4x4 supporting a beam that's supporting FJ's until corrections can be made. I think his renter may have done him a favor, would need to see the before pictures first.

Agree with steve and tmurray need some J-Hgrs.

The cross pieces that were mentioned may act the same as cross braces, you remember those don't you, TWO 1x4's at mid span in a form of an X. Use to come in metal, can't find them any more here.

I would suggest that any "code official" that approves the safety of the occupants based on the information provide should get some additional training before getting their jurisdiction sued.
In all my years I have not seen any lawsuits naming code officials. Not to say that it doesn't happen.....just not so far.
In the case at hand the op stated that the floor sloped 5" and now it is level. And that was done by sistering joists. The seems odd. It generally takes a whole lot more than that to correct a 5" slope. But hey now, I don't know any more about this than the op does.

Last edited:
The workmanship actually looks pretty good. Without knowing framing and loads above, hard to be sure that this is legit, but the fact that your floor is level should speak volumes. As for the connections, looks like a few hangers are probably needed and the through-bolts were most likely unnecessary (given that the original board is now doubled). If we treat the bolts as a drilled hole, the diameter of the hole is limited to 1/3 the depth of the joist and shall not be within 2 inches of the top or bottom of the joist (R502.8.1).

ICE, my roommate told me the following (he is now reading this thread) there was significant termite damage to 80% of the beams which appear to be the reason the previous owner had to replace the central beam running through the middle of the house the beam sits a 1 -1/8th of an inch lower than the foundation and the old beams were not replaced so those beams that were touching it were less than their original depth. Also we found "scabs" small 12- 18 inch sections of 2x4 nailed to beams randomly ( they were pretty bad when he pulled down the insulation down there way more than the termite or home inspection led me to believe). Also when the HVAC was installed they cut 4-5 foot sections of joist so there were points where there sub floor was floating slightly over the central beam. So yes there is more than sistering every old beam I had, now has a new one accompanying it for the full span plus 4 inches on both sides. My floors were wavy and he used a laser level to figure out that one corner of a room was 5 inches below the outside corner. So he notched the foundation end of the new joists to accommodate the difference in height of the two ends supporting it. He said it is not a conventional sister because all beams span 4 inches into the foundation and central beam. I will post pictures of the beams the hvac people must have cut.

As for hangers in the second picture he told me that lowes and home depot do not carry double hangers wide enough for true 2 inch + standard 2x boards so he ordered hangers that are 3.5 inches wide.

But thank you for all your advice everyone I am feeling much better about this whole thing. I will post the finished product pictures when he finishes he seems to like your guys advice. Even though he seems a bit defensive whenever I bring it up. He says thanks for the input he never turns down good advice.