• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Full size pickup gas mileage

Improving!

9dea5380.jpg

Jar,

Is that the new ecoboost engine? I just purchased an 2009 F150 with 5.4 3.73 rear to tow the horse trailer. I get around 16 MPG daily driving. Gets a little over 10 MPG towing the trailer(very hilly). Sweet truck though, very comfortable(Platnum pkg), and lot of great features for towing.

Keep us posted.

docgj

Drive an 2003 Ranger for work. Only get 17 to 18 with it. Purchased it in 2005 with 30,000 miles on it. Now have 240,000 with normal wear and tear maintenance. When we were looking for a truck to tow the horse trailer...I almost went to another manufacture but decided that if the Ranger lasted with all the back roads I drive I had better stick with Ford. Seems to have the power to pull it. Do you do any towing? What gear ratio?

docgj

jar546 said:
Yes on the ecoboost. The reason I bought it. My 2006 had the 5.4 Triton engine with similar gas mileage to yours.
You pull a trailer with it yet? Thinking of going that way with an 12 model if things work out.

pwood said:
wood/work truck, 1969 GMC i/2 ton 350 v8 with 480,000 miles . original motor and i've had it since 1973. smokes like a tire fire and gets 6-8 mpg. other truck '03 nissan frontier 4x4 v6 4 door with 230,000 miles. oil changes and timing belts and 1 battery so far.
Wow, good engine. My beater is a '80 Dodge W150 4x4 360 CID posi front and rear, 504,000 miles, 4 engines ( 2 were "emergency" engines on the road), back on the original for the past ~200k, Edelbrock 4bbl and towing cam. Aside from the odd stuck car it has been hooked to concrete trucks, building supply trucks, a stuck semi, multiple trees and a couple of buildings that are no more. 7-10 mpg, it'll hit 12 in the flatland. Daily drivers are a Ranger and a CRV. The one in the barn is a '35 Dodge 1/2 ton, going to switch the flattie to one of those newfangled overhead valve things. Not expecting great mileage but it should be able to really get lost.

Had a 1989 Ford F250 extended cab with a full-ton suspension (ordered the truck). International/Navistar diesel automatic/no overdrive...got 12 mpg with a tailwind downhill...had 80 sheets of 1/2-inch drywall in the back and it could have carried more but my cap was in the way. Had 200K+ on it when I got rid of it. I miss that baby...