• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Garage/living space seperation

It seems that the definition of a carport is identical to that of an open garage. I think I will stick with the term carport and build to the applicable code.

Once again, great discussion on a topic that one didn't know had so many interpretations . . . what would I do without this board for feedback~

Thanks all

Uncle Bob said:
The IRC does not state that all parking spaces that are open on at least two sides are carports. R309.4; states that "carports shall be open on at least two sides."So, we don't have a carport; we have an " Open Parking Garage" as defined in the *2006 IBC, 406.3.2;

And, the Open Parking Garage shall meet the requirements of; R309.2 Seperation required. " Garages beneath habitable rooms shall be seperated from all habitable rooms above by not less than 5/8-inches Type X gypsum board or equivalent."

References:

2006 IRC, Chapter 2 Definitions.

R201.3 Terms defined in other codes. Where terms are not defined in this code such terms shall have the meanings ascribed to them as in other code publications of the International Code Council.

2006 IBC, 406.3.2 Definitions. The following words and terms shall for the pruposes of this chapter and as used elsewhere in this code, have the meanings shown herein.

*OPEN PARKING GARAGE. A structure or portion of a structure with the openings on two or more sides that is used for the parking or storage of private motor vehicles.

Uncle Bob
Just to extend the logic:

If the 5/8" Type X weighs the same as a duck, it's flammable.

Garages are required to be separated... granted not 1 hour R309.2 .. with a carport directly beneath the house, the same (mimimum) separation should exist.

Granted, most of us may never see this situation, but it needs to be addressed.

Give me a break, BR.. I've had a rough week

New York State requires a 45 minute rated seperation from garage to any other space in the dwelling (including the door). No statistical basis that I'm aware of. In my first jurisdiction I had occassion to see a house with attached garage suffer a house fire that started in the dwelling proper. The only thing left after the fire was... the garage with all contents intact. Screw statistics! THAT was success! Prior to adopting modified I-Codes NYS compartmentalized damn near everything. I miss that...

JBI said:
New York State requires a 45 minute rated seperation from garage to any other space in the dwelling (including the door). No statistical basis that I'm aware of. In my first jurisdiction I had occassion to see a house with attached garage suffer a house fire that started in the dwelling proper. The only thing left after the fire was... the garage with all contents intact. Screw statistics! THAT was success! Prior to adopting modified I-Codes NYS compartmentalized damn near everything. I miss that...
Ergo: House weighed the same as a duck.

Corollary: Garage and contents weighed not the same as a duck.

Postulate: Carports weigh the same as a duck.

Just to clarify the logic some.

Just to extend the logic:If the 5/8" Type X weighs the same as a duck, it's flammable.
Aaaaahhh, but the duck is not an approved material / barrier, ...the 5/8" gyp.board is!

GHRoberts stated:

It seems that the definition of a carport is identical to that of an opengarage. I think I will stick with the term carport and build to the applicable

code.
In accordance with Section R102.1 [ of the `06 IRC ], wouldn't this requirethe application of Section R309.2 ?

R102.1 General.

"Where, in any specific case, different sections of this code specify different

materials, methods of construction or other requirements, the most restrictive

shall govern. Where there is a conflict between a general requirement and a specific

requirement, the specific requirement shall be applicable."

Carports are residential, IBC chapter 4 is a temperate climate.

The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?

Are you suggesting Carports migrate?

Not at all. They could be carried.

What? A swallow carrying a carport?

It could grip it by the 5/8" Type X gypsum.

It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry something that weighs as much as a duck.

Well, it doesn't matter. Will you go and tell your master that he won't get a permit until he admits that a carport is an open parking structure?

duh-du du-du-du-duh

duh-du-du du-du-du-du duh

Last edited by a moderator:
GHRoberts stated:

[/size][/font]In accordance with Section R102.1 [ of the `06 IRC ], wouldn't this require

the application of Section R309.2 ?

R102.1 General.

"Where, in any specific case, different sections of this code specify different

materials, methods of construction or other requirements, the most restrictive

shall govern. Where there is a conflict between a general requirement and a specific

requirement, the specific requirement shall be applicable."

I think it is a stretch, but I can accept that.

---

Where I lived as a kid most houses had a driveway adjacent to the house going back to a detached garage. I guess driveways were/are open parking garages.

brudgers, when your arguments decend into fantasy, I can feel much better when I totally ignore them.

Around here, with buildable areas so small, the only "carport" we see has living space above and next to it...... basically, a garage with two sides open, connected to the house. We treat them just like a garage...

TJacobs said:
Not changing my answer...living space above a car is good enough for me. Since zoning here does not permit carports I will never get sued for overreaching.
"Per your building department there is no such thing as a carport."

Brilliant.

Brudgers,

I like to joke around as much as the next person on this forum; but, your posts are not helpful or funny.

For the most part; the other members here have tried to shed some light on a code question that one of our members has asked for comments on.

You have contributed absolutely nothing; with your references and examples;

" If the 5/8" Type X weighs the same as a duck, it's flammable. "

" Ergo: House weighed the same as a duck.

Corollary: Garage and contents weighed not the same as a duck.

Postulate: Carports weigh the same as a duck. "

" Carport Separation = Building Code Requirements as a Pokemon collection. "

"Carports are residential, IBC chapter 4 is a temperate climate.

The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?

Are you suggesting Carports migrate?

Not at all. They could be carried.

What? A swallow carrying a carport?

It could grip it by the 5/8" Type X gypsum.

It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry something that weighs as much as a duck.

Well, it doesn't matter. Will you go and tell your master that he won't get a permit until he admits that a carport is an open parking structure?

duh-du du-du-du-duh "

These posts have nothing to do with the subject; and contribute nothing to the discussion. They are not entertaining, or enlightening.

From your post here; it apears that your only reason for being here is to disrupt and antagonize.

If this is your goal; then you are doing a great job. Keep it up and you will drive many potential new members from this forum.

Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob,

The code doesn't say what you want it to say.

The reason for that isn't oversight.

It's a 100 years of experience with carports and a mountain of fire reporting.

My son is nine.

When he misuses his abilities to force people to do what he wants against their self interest, I tell him he's being a bully.

That's what your code analysis fosters, bullying.

It's not based sound interpretation.

It's not based on good public policy.

It's not even based on evidence.

It's simply making people kiss the ring.

It's wrong.

And you should stop.

Ben

Since the code does not define a carport we should go to a dictionary. Webster and American Heritage define a carport as a roof extending from the side of a building. If there is a floor above then I don't belive it would qualify as a carport. JMHO.

R201.4 Terms not defined.

Where terms are not defined through the methods authorized by this section, such terms shall have ordinarily accepted meanings such as the context implies.

car·port (kärpôrt′)

noun

a shelter for an automobile, consisting of a roof extended from the side of a building, sometimes with an additional wall

Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.

car·port (kärˈpôrtˌ, -pōrtˌ)

noun An open-sided shelter for an automotive vehicle, usually formed by a roof projecting from the side of a building.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

Based upon R309.4 what are the requirements for carports?

Based upon R309.4 what are the requirements for carports beneath habitable rooms?

"Usually" doesn't mean always.

That's why you're able to take a vacation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay guys..I think we've beat this thing to death.

I think it is time to agree that we all have different opinions on what the code specifies. It will be up to the design professional and the AHJ to determine how to make this call.

The thread is getting to a point that it is not benefitial to anyone reading it anymore.

Truce