1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

GFCI at floor sink?

Discussion in 'Electrical Codes' started by steveray, Feb 18, 2020.

1. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

"Sinks" without a water supply drive GFCI requirements? I wouldn't ask for it at a hub drain or floor drain, but floor sinks are not really addressed or exempted.....?

2. ICE

ICE Moderator

You come up with unusual questions. A mop sink has water supplied. A janitors sink has a water supply. If there is no water supply, is it really a sink?.....or just a drain.....you know, for old paint and stuff.

jar546 likes this.
  3. ADAguy

ADAguy Registered User

Why then are floor sinks required beneath equipment in commercial kitchens?

4. e hilton

e hilton Bronze Member

A floor sink that’s not really a sink. What’s next ... a water closet that’s not really a closet?

Sifu and steveray like this.
  5. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

If they were usual, then I wouldn't have a question.....is it the basin or the supply or the drain that drives the GFCI requirement? I think not the supply or we would be requiring them within 6' of hose bibbs...2023 NFPA 70 here we come...

6. ICE

ICE Moderator

They handle tailpieces and condensate. And by the way, all receptacles in a commercial kitchen have GFCI protection.

What about floor sinks beneath refrigerated displays in grocery stores? It is called a floor sink and receptacles are not required to be protected with GFCI on a sales floor.

Joe Engel likes this.
  7. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

Not a "commercial kitchen" concession counter. Microwaves do not count as cooking per NFPA...That is a whole nother argument....

8. ICE

ICE Moderator

I think that it is a stretch to require GFCI for a receptacle within six feet of a floor sink. However, considering the minor expense involved I wouldn't argue against that. I would not write that correction.

9. Builder Bob

Builder Bob Sawhorse

floor sinks generally are not readily accessible in most cases - also they generally are equipment specific and not designed for general floor drainage - i.e. tilt kettle. And to be a little bit more specific, our Health department will not require floor sinks to be connected to a grease traps whereas floor drains do..........

We see lots of floor sinks, but very few floor drains in our kitchens.

10. ADAguy

ADAguy Registered User

11. JPohling

JPohling Sawhorse

So 3 compartment sinks and dishwashers and other equipment that will have grease in the water that are being drained via air gap into a floor sink would not go to a grease trap in your jurisdiction?