• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Ground rod distance from foundation?

Apparently the GEC can be 50-ft out in the middle of your backyard as long as it' covered properly and its no closer than 6-ft to another rod. Seems there should be a limitation on how far it can be from a foundation. Would't even be a discussion item if we still had a water pipe grounding source. Plastic water lines have forced us into an alternative way to ground the service.

I have a friend in the radio tower business, He sez "wait until one of these new houses that's using the UFER ground up through the foundation wall gets hit by lighting and it blows out the foundation!" I don't know if that can happen or not? I did't have an answer for him.

He claimed he'd rather have the two rod system!

NEC only requires that the GEC must be continuous from the electrode to the panel GEC connection, not rod to rod. You could use a grounding clamp on the first rod, then a grounding clamp to the next rod and use another clamp there. They can even be spliced if it is an irreversible splice and is rated for use as such.

We say that the 2 rods are the GE...so continuous....

PC....If you use the metal water pipe, you have "always" needed the rod as well....

steveray, yes, I agree...For years we did a water pipe ground and a ground rod. The POCO here no longer installs a grounding rod for their meter socket, the grounding is done at the pole or transformer. We however still require two grounding sources on the panel.

Not in the IRC that I know of but in NEC 250.30 the grounding electrode shall be near as practical to and preferably in the same area as the grounding electrode conductor connection to the system.
The other thing that is misunderstood is the electrodes can be inches apart. The code states each electrode of "one grounding system" shall not be less than 6 feet from any other electrode of "another grounding system. "

Would not another grounding system be prohibited to be bonded together unless it the same building or same service to another building in accordance to E3607.6 (250.58)?

Last edited:
250.30 deals with a separately derived system.

2560.53(D Metal Underground Water Pipe. If used as a grounding electrode, metal underground water pipe shall meet the requirements of 250.53(D)(1) and (D)(2).

(1) Continuity. Continuity of the grounding path or the bonding connection to interior piping shall not rely on water meters or filtering devices and similar equipment.

(2) Supplemental Electrode Required. A metal underground water pipe shall be supplemented by an additional electrode of a type specified in 250.52(A)(2) through (A)(8). If the supplemental electrode is of the rod, pipe, or plate type, it shall comply with 250.53(A). The supplemental electrode shall be bonded to one of the following:
  1. (1) Grounding electrode conductor
  2. (2) Grounded service-entrance conductor
  3. (3) Nonflexible grounded service raceway
  4. (4) Any grounded service enclosure
  5. (5) As provided by 250.32(B)
Exception: The supplemental electrode shall be permitted to be bonded to the interior metal water piping at any convenient point as specified in 250.68(C)(1), Exception.
(C) Grounding Electrode Connections. Grounding electrode conductors and bonding jumpers shall be permitted to be connected at the following locations and used to extend the connection to an electrode(s):
(1)
Interior metal water piping located not more than 1.52 m (5 ft) from the point of entrance to the building shall be permitted to be used as a conductor to interconnect electrodes that are part of the grounding electrode system.

250.53(A)(2) Supplemental Electrode Required. A single rod, pipe, or plate electrode shall be supplemented by an additional electrode of a type specified in 250.52(A)(2) through (A)(8). The supplemental electrode shall be permitted to be bonded to one of the following:
  1. (1) Rod, pipe, or plate electrode
  2. (2) Grounding electrode conductor
  3. (3) Grounded service-entrance conductor
  4. (4) Nonflexible grounded service raceway
  5. (5) Any grounded service enclosure
    Exception: If a single rod, pipe, or plate grounding electrode has a resistance to earth of 25 ohms or less, the supplemental electrode shall not be required.
(3) Supplemental Electrode. If multiple rod, pipe, or plate electrodes are installed to meet the requirements of this section, they shall not be less than 1.8 m (6 ft) apart.
Informational Note: The paralleling efficiency of rods is increased by spacing them twice the length of the longest rod.

The problem with “wanting it safe” is that it is subjective. There is never total safety. One of the roles of building regulations is that the question is resolved in a way that can be understood by all.

A basic principal of our legal system is that you cannot be compelled to comply with laws that you have no way of knowing. The problem is that the builder has no way to know of requirements that were not adopted that only exist in the mind of the building official. A building official that does not understand this is a loose cannon. You would be incensed if a police officer imposed his own personal laws on you so why not when the building official does the same thing.

Regarding grounding, the goal is to have a ground resistance less than 5 Ohms (I have also heard 25 Ohms). Is this number or another number clearly stated in the electrical code and if so what is it.

Because of the hassle of actually measuring the ground resistance minimum requirements or rules of thumb have been adopted. But if you have a system with low enough resistance all the rules of thumb are irrelevant. Failure to comply with the minimum spacing between ground rods just means that the grounding will be less effective. If this is a problem do not abandon the offending ground rod just add another ground rod at least the minimum distance from the first ground rod. When you do this the system will be better.

It is my understanding the reason for introducing non conducting pipe in the water system is that this prevents grounding current from flowing in the water pipes and thus reduces the corrosion in the water distribution system.

A ufer ground is not effective if a membrane is placed under all of the footings as is the case in some areas/sites. When this is the case you have a floating ground.

The problem with “wanting it safe” is that it is subjective. There is never total safety. One of the roles of building regulations is that the question is resolved in a way that can be understood by all.

A basic principal of our legal system is that you cannot be compelled to comply with laws that you have no way of knowing. The problem is that the builder has no way to know of requirements that were not adopted that only exist in the mind of the building official. A building official that does not understand this is a loose cannon. You would be incensed if a police officer imposed his own personal laws on you so why not when the building official does the same thing.

Regarding grounding, the goal is to have a ground resistance less than 5 Ohms (I have also heard 25 Ohms). Is this number or another number clearly stated in the electrical code and if so what is it.

Because of the hassle of actually measuring the ground resistance minimum requirements or rules of thumb have been adopted. But if you have a system with low enough resistance all the rules of thumb are irrelevant. Failure to comply with the minimum spacing between ground rods just means that the grounding will be less effective. If this is a problem do not abandon the offending ground rod just add another ground rod at least the minimum distance from the first ground rod. When you do this the system will be better.

It is my understanding the reason for introducing non conducting pipe in the water system is that this prevents grounding current from flowing in the water pipes and thus reduces the corrosion in the water distribution system.

A ufer ground is not effective if a membrane is placed under all of the footings as is the case in some areas/sites. When this is the case you have a floating ground.

"The problem with “wanting it safe” is that it is subjective."
Code is clear, easy to understand with subjectivity removed.

"There is never total safety."

But there is. In collaboration with Southern California Edison I have rendered many electrical installations totally safe.

"One of the roles of building regulations is that the question is resolved in a way that can be understood by all."
Following code and understanding code are sometimes divergent concepts harbored within a particular mass of brain matter. A great many practitioners of construction trades follow codes with no inkling of why.

"A basic principal of our legal system is that you cannot be compelled to comply with laws that you have no way of knowing."
Wrong as wrong can be. Break some arcane law and observe the result with your nose in a corner. "But teacher, I didn't know"

"The problem is that the builder has no way to know of requirements that were not adopted that only exist in the mind of the building official."
Well then, that's usually only a problem once. But yes, there are some dimwitted......well Shirley you get where I'm going with this.

"A building official that does not understand this is a loose cannon."
A loose cannon is a deadly hazard.....slamming around on the deck of a warship smashing conscripts to bits. The building official you are referencing is more of a sniper in a crows nest. He sees the cannon and it's random destruction while delivering pinpoint correction.

"You would be incensed if a police officer imposed his own personal laws on you so why not when the building official does the same thing."
With most folks, that is absolutely correct. Incensed? Such a mild term applies to a few. Pissed off applies to the many. But as Tommy, the oldest Henderson boy said, "Here's the thing about that" The correction could have come from a code book or perhaps my ass. Seldom does anyone know the difference.

"Regarding grounding, the goal is to have a ground resistance less than 5 Ohms (I have also heard 25 Ohms)."
Logically the usual goal is zero.

"Is this number or another number clearly stated in the electrical code and if so what is it."
25 to 6,100,000,000 can be found in the NEC. Clearly stated? That depends on the level of electrical engineering acumen one has achieved. PHD maybe.

"Because of the hassle of actually measuring the ground resistance minimum requirements or rules of thumb have been adopted."
Rules of thumb vary region to region. Here and there it's a thumb on the scale.....with others it's a thumb and a nose.....and yet others have a thumb up their ass. In my experience it is a thumb and a forefinger parroting code for all comers.

"But if you have a system with low enough resistance all the rules of thumb are irrelevant."
I do believe that you don't understand the rules that govern the rule of thumb. The relevance of the rule of thumb forces the outcome.

"Failure to comply with the minimum spacing between ground rods just means that the grounding will be less effective."
Duh! It's a "just" as in trifling??? This is the subjectivity that was left out of the code.

"If this is a problem do not abandon the offending ground rod just add another ground rod at least the minimum distance from the first ground rod."
"If"? Ther's no ifing in baseball. Toss in a rod you say....six feet from the first rod says you. It sounds like advice but is hardly sound advice.

"When you do this the system will be better."
Better than what exactly? Is better the best that can be accomplished? Follow the code rather than half baked internet musings and best is your companion.

"It is my understanding the reason for introducing non conducting pipe in the water system is that this prevents grounding current from flowing in the water pipes and thus reduces the corrosion in the water distribution system."
Could it be that plastic pipe is so much cheaper and easier to work with.

"A ufer ground is not effective if a membrane is placed under all of the footings as is the case in some areas/sites. When this is the case you have a floating ground."
That single sentence lends credence to the rest of what you have written. Shouldn't be that way...do I have permission to remove it?

Ice

Your reaction suggests that I hit a nerve. Your responses indicate that you did not understand what I was saying.

I think my posting was a positive informative posting.

I just didn't have anything to do while I waited for my wife to walk out of a mall. Naturally you like your post....and I suppose that I would not...

What Mark is saying is to ensure we differentiate "rules of thumb" from what is written in the code. As a building official, I cannot enforce a rule of thumb anymore than I can enforce best construction practice. All I can enforce is the code.

What Mark is saying is to ensure we differentiate "rules of thumb" from what is written in the code.

That’s not an uncommon refrain from Mark K. Peppered with loose cannons and big bad wolf building officials threatening to blow the house down.

Last edited:
ICE

You are crossing a line by making it personal. What is the Forum policy?

I fail to see how requiring anything that is above and beyond code is any better than allowing things that do not meet code. Both are an official not doing their job. The job is to inspect to the adopted code. If you require more or less, then you are negligent in your duties.

I fail to see how requiring anything that is above and beyond code is any better than allowing things that do not meet code. Both are an official not doing their job. The job is to inspect to the adopted code. If you require more or less, then you are negligent in your duties.

T Murray:

Your perspective comes from the fact that you have better codes than we do, our codes are now political, so from Tiger's perspective I take it he's trying to enforce from a health and safety prescriptive no matter what the codes say.

ICE

You are crossing a line by making it personal. What is the Forum policy?

Mark K
Your reaction suggests that I hit a nerve. Your responses indicate that you did not understand what I was saying.

I think my posting was a positive informative posting.

The problem with an inspector enforcing his perception of what is safe as opposed to what is in the code, besides being illegal, is that there is no clear criteria what is safe. There are some engineers who believe that seismic design forces should be 50% higher than what is currently required by code. I could probably come up with similar examples for fire resistance or electrical work.

One of the roles of building codes is to resolve these differences of opinion by adopting a requirement that applies to everybody. If the inspector can then replace the code requirement with his preferences then why to we need building codes?

What is safe is subjective. This is clear if you look at the code development process. At one time it was necessary to define a number in a code provision. One group insisted that the number should be no less than 2.0 while another group said it should be no more than 1.7. The final number was 1.85.

Mark:

I agree with you, the problem is that the I Codes have gone far afield into the collectivist agenda, I'd rather have an inspector that I could negoiate with for a safer, better, building than somebody enforcing codes like Green, Energy, or ADA to the letter. In my mind the 1994 UBC was the sweet spot, it is arguable that the 1997 UBC is better, but I think that should be dependent upon the location, like right over an earthquake fault then I'd say go to the 1997, but it's a total waste of resources in 99% of the country.

The other day I heard on the radio that Trump had addressed the Farm Beureau, taking credit for reducing regulations, like dust, drastically increasing farmers' productivity, I don't know of one regulation that has been eliminated in the building professions, can anyone think of one regulation that Trump has eliminated in this business?

Last edited:
Conarb

You do not need an inspector to make a safer building. That is your choice. The code sets a minimum.

With respect to your concern about the collectivist agenda, in California take that up your state legislators. In other states talk to those who adopt the building regulations.

The current code varies the seismic forces depending on the risk, so that the farther you are from a fault the less you have to design for. You may not see this in the Bay
Area because here the accelerations are high but in other states the differences are more noticeable. I would go with the latest code versions. Part of what you may see is more thorough enforcement.

Trump has no control over building regulations. Building codes are reserved to the states to regulate. Admittedly some of the code provisions are influenced by the Feds but that is the choice of the states. For example compliance with the federal flood maps makes it easier for individuals to get federal backed flood insurance but that is something that those adopting the codes could reject.

Trump has no control over building regulations. Building codes are reserved to the states to regulate. Admittedly some of the code provisions are influenced by the Feds but that is the choice of the states. For example compliance with the federal flood maps makes it easier for individuals to get federal backed flood insurance but that is something that those adopting the codes could reject.

This is a good subject, when campaigning he told the homebuilders that he grew up at the knee of a builder and he was going to reduce regulations, he is reducing regulations for other industries, what can be done to reduce regulations here? Going out to lunch now, will pass by tent cities filled with people who can't afford to live anywhere but the streets, even Google engineers are living in their parked cars and campers parked on the streets.