• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hard Wired Smoke Detectors

All sloped, I can recall building a home in 1978 with high smokes, I always ask the electrician to leave a 16' step ladder with me for final, I grabbed the ladder and told the inspector to come with me and I'd set him up to check the high smokes, he said, don't bother, I can't climb ladders I'll trust you. BTW, in my personal home they are all battery operated and I have the batteries out of all to them, got tired of changing batteries.

How close to the peak of the slope? Our installation standard requires them to be no closer than 900mm (~3') due to the heat concentration causing nuisance alarms.

How close to the peak of the slope? Our installation standard requires them to be no closer than 900mm (~3') due to the heat concentration causing nuisance alarms.

Well they are suppose to be with in three feet of the peak.

Look at most manufacture install instructions,

Also, there should be a temperature range: Temperature Range 40°F (4°C) to 100°F (38°C)

Well they are suppose to be with in three feet of the peak.

Look at most manufacture install instructions,

Also, there should be a temperature range: Temperature Range 40°F (4°C) to 100°F (38°C)
4738_001.jpg
This is what we have as a requirement

The manufacturer instructions are always right. Maybe different instructions for different alarms?

Usulty a house has a 8' ceiling somewhere so the smoke alarm doesn't have to be so high. If there is a 8' high soffit around a room with a high ceiling can't the smoke alarm be below the soffit? Why wouldn't the soffit be part of the ceiling?

Had problems of where to put smoke alarms in small chateau type houses where the 1st floor bedroom doorway is in a kitchen under a mezzanine and the rest of the house has a cathedral ceiling.

Back when we were arguing the fire sprinklers I read that 75% of residential fires were cooking related and 10% smoking related, with the feminist movement nobody cooks in their homes anymore, my wife stopped cooking when she read the feminist books in the 70s, my mother cooked but neither the range or oven has been on in this house since my mother died 12 years ago, they've virtually outlawed smoking and fireplaces now so smoke detectors are necessary anymore. Frying food is unhealthy and a thing of the past except in lower class areas.

"Frying food is unhealthy and a thing of the past except in lower class areas."

Do you even think about what you are posting? I don't know why it continues to amaze me, but tt does.

Excuse me y'all, my buffalo wings are about done........don't want the oil too get hot.

Frying food is ... a thing of the past except in lower class areas.
Please, do share how you come up with these pearls of wisdom. Such a cynic with little to no respect for those who differ from you.

The codes are written to protect all, but maybe you would be happy with a code for the upper class and one for the lower class? As if that wont set us back 70 years.

We must not be looking at the same code book. Where is this Bluetooth slave verbiage at?
IRC 2015-314.4 Interconnection...…….Physical interconnection of smoke alarms SHALL NOT be required where listed wireless alarms are installed...….

IRC 2015-314.4 Interconnection...…….Physical interconnection of smoke alarms SHALL NOT be required where listed wireless alarms are installed...….

What he said was "Alternate means and methods - Bluetooth or wireless smokes are available. The master can be hardwired and the slaves monitored by the master hardwired smokes." Which is just not true. Interconnection YES can be wireless but each and every unit must receive its primary power directly from 110. Not battery powered units with wireless interconnection.

LA City has a form that can be provided in lieu of an inspection. Here's a link http://ladbs.org/docs/default-sourc...knowledgment-form-(to-notarize).pdf?sfvrsn=24

What's the purpose of that form? Can the homeowner possibly know those code sections? Looks like it was form-13, do you have more forms with more codes listed. Looks like it was revised back in 2016.

ICE, was that form made up by a dude in the office cherry pick'in codes to enforce?

Maybe allow a photo verification?

What's the purpose of that form? Can the homeowner possibly know those code sections? Looks like it was form-13, do you have more forms with more codes listed. Looks like it was revised back in 2016.

ICE, was that form made up by a dude in the office cherry pick'in codes to enforce?

Maybe allow a photo verification?
It’s not my form. It comes from the city of Los Angeles.