• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hello Folks

Welcome to the Building Code Forum Didi! :p Oh, and do participate in the discussions. We aren't here just to answer questions, but to make comments too. Sometimes the comments are as much fun as anything else. This is an eclectic bunch with huge hearts, great minds, and big mouths! We're a fun bunch and we love all the members. :eek:

ewenme said:
Welcome to the Building Code Forum Didi! :p Oh, and do participate in the discussions. We aren't here just to answer questions, but to make comments too. Sometimes the comments are as much fun as anything else. This is an eclectic bunch with huge hearts, great minds, and big mouths! We're a fun bunch and we love all the members. :eek:
ewemme, Very well stated!

Daddy-O, Love the cow avatar! Too cool.

DiDi said:
I am new to this bulletin board and am curious as to how it works. I am looking forward to participating in clever, insightful and witty code dialog.DiDi
Welcome DiDi - if you have any questions regarding structures or runways or taxiways at airports I can help there ... heck, no one EVER has THOSE questions.

Coug Dad said:
so, MMM, how thick is the concrete on a runway or taxiway. Inquiring minds want to know!
Oh wow, I'm being patronized, how cool. To answer your question, it depends on what size plane (the maximum size) that is anticipated landing there; however, rule of thumb is it's typically 16" thick and it's also typically laid using a slip form paver, which allows the runway to be poured without having to use forms. The concrete needs to have a slump of 1 - 2", the dryer the better. In runways we are more concerned with flex strength than with compressive strength (which is more important in structures).

Don't get me started Coug Dad!!!

I am not patronizing. I just always wondered how thick it was! I have read where this new super jumbo Airbus can be allowed only at a few airports because of the runways.

Marvel,

Keep up the good work. My daughter usually lands at that airport to make a connecting flight when she visits me. I like knowing that someone there is doing the right thing. :)