• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

High rise design problem?

About 10 years ago we had a fire on the top floor of a Las Vegas high rise, it's that damn styrofoam cladding they use to make them "energy efficient". Note that there were interior sprinklers here but the article doesn't say if they went off because of the heat on the exterior fire, in any event they didn't do any good as usual.

As I said back in those sprinkler debates, as much as I disbelieve in interior sprinklers I believe in exterior sprinklers on any building with any type of styrofoam, either the ridged stuff behind stucco or wood cladding, or the spray foams inside the walls. All those buildings built with EIFS systems are at risk of wildfires or adjacent fires igniting the entire buildings.

So build high rises with no fire sprinklers

Or build them a different way

Or limit height

cda said:
So build high rises with no fire sprinklers Or build them a different way

Or limit height
Build every structure with all fireproof materials, do away with all plastics in buildings and all lightweight construction, then you don't need sprinklers and you don't have the toxic chemical problems we have now. As you know the intumescent coatings have now been outlawed because they were making people sick.

Missed that

Guess they should have named it the sprinkler and this would not have happened

I grew up in, and still live in, a rural area. Few tall buildings. I like it that way personally.

conarb said:
About 10 years ago we had a fire on the top floor of a Las Vegas high rise, it's that damn styrofoam cladding they use to make them "energy efficient". Note that there were interior sprinklers here but the article doesn't say if they went off because of the heat on the exterior fire, in any event they didn't do any good as usual. As I said back in those sprinkler debates, as much as I disbelieve in interior sprinklers I believe in exterior sprinklers on any building with any type of styrofoam, either the ridged stuff behind stucco or wood cladding, or the spray foams inside the walls. All those buildings built with EIFS systems are at risk of wildfires or adjacent fires igniting the entire buildings.
double dog, you were correct!!!!!

http://www.firehouse.com/news/11972484/at-least-16-dead-in-baku-azerbaijan-hi-rise-fire-more-than-60-hurt