• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hinges Deal or Dud????

Thank you for your service. We do intend on further testing. I have run across the paint question already and is something to consider. Also looking at the liability question. I do not remember the Vulcan but I will research it. Thank you for your help.

I see some of the problem besides location down from the ceiling

Is just plain location of the pin/fusible link.

If you look at a normal house where are the pins located? In the room?

So to me one problem is fire would have to be in that room

Where do most fires start , kitchen

And with open concept, open areas will burn before it hits a door?

Yes that is true open areas would burn before it hits a door but it's not that when an open area is burning it just stays there the heat and smoke will travel up to the doors. We aren't saying we can stop fires altogether we are saying that we "could possibly provide an area of refuge for occupants as well as keep that fire out of the rooms and chases in those rooms preventing RAPID advancement of the fire. A door is a great fire stop for a limited amount of time. If that time is a couple of minutes, in a fire that's an eternity. The fire would not have to be in the room the product of the fire would be spreading throughout the building and as I stated the fuseable link is set at a fairly low temperature so they would close the door.

Good luck

Do the testing, let's see the pictures

Just giving my concerns and stuff for you to think about.

Been watching Shark Tank to long

Lol thanks cda I spoke with Dan wow what a smart guy. He was intrigued with the idea and helped a lot. He pointed me to the governors island testing and we went over the temps and smoke concentrations and figured some things out. Obviously he cannot endorse us but the concept and direction is something that is positive. A really nice person so thank you. You have given me a lot to investigate and your help has been invaluable. I know you detest fuseable links but we think this product will work. I guess we will have to wait till we get through UL to see. Thanks again.

Wow fantastic

I know Dan is reachable, but that is quick.

Thought he could give a lot better pros/ cons than myself.

Good luck hope to see you on Shark Tank

Last edited by a moderator:
After the "Doobie Brothers" light up in the hallway and flick their Bic's under the hinges, do you have to replace the entire hinge or can the fusible link be replaced by the apartment super?

I assume a new hinge will be required.

pc1

Well that is a concern for anything that is accessible to people. If we decided things on ridiculous things like that nothing would get made. To answer your concern or question yes you would have to replace the hinge. Same could be said for sprinkler heads only the result would be worse.

Besides if you read the whole article we are advocating this for INTERIOR doors that are INSIDE the apartment.

Cda Dan is an awesom guy. He did testing on governors island with UL and FDNY on a bunch of vacants and did a live burn with sensors all over which give us the data we need to answer a lot of all the questions here such as temperature and oxygen levels and from what we discussed if we kept it set at 157 it would trip the hinge and the room would still be viable for the occupant so he is a wealth of information and was a great help. Thanks again. As far as shark tank I emailed them a million times no response. Lol