• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

hood required for wood fired pizza oven

bgingras

I just got a plan, stamped by an engineer, for a site built, UL listed, wood fired pizza ovem with nothing more than double wall 8" pipe coming out the top and no hood. the Serno Plate for the unit specifically states that the cooking equuipment is to be provided with an exhaust hood. The plans also indicate to comply with building code, mechanical code and local etc etc...

http://www.difiore-forni.it/manuale_eng.html

I'm thinking seperate hood required?

Normally direct vent to outside, like a fireplace,

Unless some reason they can't do that , the. Yes vent a hood

The picture that has the completed red colored unit sitting in the parking lot looks like something from Jack and the Beanstock, like this would be something the giant would have in his castle in the sky.

plan shows an 8" double wall out the top of the unit. It seems to contradict the plate affixed to the unit stating that the equipment shall be equiped with an exhaust hood . Maybe the 8" is enough?

A Type I hood is required by code.

507.2.1 Type I hoods.

Type I hoods shall be installed where cooking appliances produce grease or smoke. Type I hoods shall be installed over medium-duty, heavy-duty and extra-heavy-duty cooking appliances. Type I hoods shall be installed over light-duty cooking appliances that produce grease or smoke.

SECTION 917

COOKING APPLIANCES

917.1 Cooking appliances.

Cooking appliances that are designed for permanent installation, including ranges, ovens, stoves, broilers, grills, fryers, griddles and barbecues, shall be listed , labeled and installed in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions. Commercial electric cooking appliances shall be listed and labeled in accordance with UL 197. Household electric ranges shall be listed and labeled in accordance with UL 858. Microwave cooking appliances shall be listed and labeled in accordance with UL 923. Oil-burning stoves shall be listed and labeled in accordance with UL 896. Solid-fuel-fired ovens shall be listed and labeled in accordance with UL 2162.

EXTRA-HEAVY-DUTY COOKING APPLIANCE. Extra-heavy-duty cooking appliances include appliances utilizing solid fuel such as wood, charcoal, briquettes, and mesquite to provide all or part of the heat source for cooking.

SOLID FUEL (COOKING APPLICATIONS). Applicable to commercial food service operations only, solid fuel is any bulk material such as hardwood, mesquite, charcoal or briquettes that is combusted to produce heat for cooking operations.

mtlogcabin said:
A Type I hood is required by code. 507.2.1 Type I hoods.

Type I hoods shall be installed where cooking appliances produce grease or smoke. Type I hoods shall be installed over medium-duty, heavy-duty and extra-heavy-duty cooking appliances. Type I hoods shall be installed over light-duty cooking appliances that produce grease or smoke.

SECTION 917

COOKING APPLIANCES

917.1 Cooking appliances.

Cooking appliances that are designed for permanent installation, including ranges, ovens, stoves, broilers, grills, fryers, griddles and barbecues, shall be listed , labeled and installed in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions. Commercial electric cooking appliances shall be listed and labeled in accordance with UL 197. Household electric ranges shall be listed and labeled in accordance with UL 858. Microwave cooking appliances shall be listed and labeled in accordance with UL 923. Oil-burning stoves shall be listed and labeled in accordance with UL 896. Solid-fuel-fired ovens shall be listed and labeled in accordance with UL 2162.

EXTRA-HEAVY-DUTY COOKING APPLIANCE. Extra-heavy-duty cooking appliances include appliances utilizing solid fuel such as wood, charcoal, briquettes, and mesquite to provide all or part of the heat source for cooking.

SOLID FUEL (COOKING APPLICATIONS). Applicable to commercial food service operations only, solid fuel is any bulk material such as hardwood, mesquite, charcoal or briquettes that is combusted to produce heat for cooking operations.
Does IMc allow direct venting???

Thought this question has been talked about before

Fire department telling me no suppression and no hood per NFPA 96. Combine that with engineer stamped plan calling for no hood and direct vent, I think that's where we are going.

"the Serno Plate for the unit specifically states that the cooking equuipment is to be provided with an exhaust hood." From the original post.

If the manufacturer of the oven requires a hood, I don't see how you can not require one. It would violate the listing of the oven.

klarenbeek said:
"the Serno Plate for the unit specifically states that the cooking equuipment is to be provided with an exhaust hood." From the original post.
Isn't this part of the assembly?

bgingras said:
Fire department telling me no suppression and no hood per NFPA 96. Combine that with engineer stamped plan calling for no hood and direct vent, I think that's where we are going.
NFPA 96 is not a referenced standard in any of the I-Codes. Is it a Massachusetts ammendment. Or does the manufacturer refreance it in their installation instructions?

according to FD
Trust but Verify

Worked with to many FD officials who shot from the hip when it came to application of the correct code.

304.2 Conflicts.

Where conflicts between this code and the conditions of listing or the manufacturer's installation instructions occur, the provisions of this code shall apply.

Exception: Where a code provision is less restrictive than the conditions of the listing of the equipment or appliance or the manufacturer's installation instructions, the conditions of the listing and the manufacturer's installation instructions shall apply.

It sounds like what you have there is a double wall flue that connects to a class A vent (chimney). I doubt that this would simply dump into a hood, although I would say that a suppressions system would be in order. Go to the most restrictive between the manufacturer's specs and the code.

mtlogcabin said:
Trust but VerifyWorked with to many FD officials who shot from the hip when it came to application of the correct code.

304.2 Conflicts.

Where conflicts between this code and the conditions of listing or the manufacturer's installation instructions occur, the provisions of this code shall apply.

Exception: Where a code provision is less restrictive than the conditions of the listing of the equipment or appliance or the manufacturer's installation instructions, the conditions of the listing and the manufacturer's installation instructions shall apply.
NFPA 96 referenced in the Oregon Fire Code has a state amendment. Sounds like you have trust issues with the local fire official.