• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

hood required for wood fired pizza oven

kilitact said:
NFPA 96 referenced in the Oregon Fire Code has a state amendment. Sounds like you have trust issues with the local fire official.
I did with the previous 2 but the current one admits his code knowledge limitations and seeks help which we are happy to provide.

I have had many discussions with other BO's and their problems with the FC demanding more than what the code requires simply because they can and have gotten away with it for so many years.

NFPA 96 in the Oregon Fire Code is for operation and maintenance only. Not initial installation.

bgingras said:
I just got a plan, stamped by an engineer, for a site built, UL listed, wood fired pizza ovem with nothing more than double wall 8" pipe coming out the top and no hood. the Serno Plate for the unit specifically states that the cooking equuipment is to be provided with an exhaust hood. The plans also indicate to comply with building code, mechanical code and local etc etc...ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS

I'm thinking seperate hood required?
Look back at the original post. The oven comes with no hood but the manufacturer nameplate states that a hood is required. Code also requires a type I hood for solid fuel appliances. I know this is a specialized appliance, but when both manufacturer and code require a hood, I don't see where a hood is not required. The only place to look to allow this installation without a hood would be in the oven installation instructions. Not the nameplate, but the actual installation manual. If there are provisions in the manual for venting the oven without a hood, that might be the way to go. It should include what type of venting to use. Class A chimney? UL103HT venting? If the manufacturers instructions don't give specific instructions on how to vent it, then IMO a type I hood is required.

I have to concur with most of what mtlogcabin has been saying. My juristiction has adopted the 2009 IMC. NFPA 96 is not referenced by this code, nor by any of our State technical amendments. I have had many wood burning pizza ovens cross my plan table, with different design conditions presented. I have had internal discussions concerning these installations, inter-juristictional discussions, and a few discussions with ICC. Although the manufacturer's suggested venting installalation of most of these appliances would probably prove to be safe installations, the code that I enforce does not permit such. These are "extra-heavy-duty cooking appliances" as defined in Chapter 2 of the IMC, simply because they use solid fuel to provide the heating source for cooking. IMC 507.2.1 states that Type I hoods shall be installed over extra-heave-duty cooking appliances. Moreso, IMC 507.2.4 states that the Type I hood installed over extra-heavy-duty cooking appliances be of an independent system. This is not a fire place, this is a cooking appliance. As a final note, if I were to approve the installation of one of these cooking appliances based on the manufacturer's installation recommendations, and without a Type I hood, I would do so through the written modification process, allowing for the manufacturers and designers to convince me that their installation meets the spirit and intent of what the code requires for the health, safety and welfare of the folk in my juristiction.

mtlogcabin said:
I did with the previous 2 but the current one admits his code knowledge limitations and seeks help which we are happy to provide.I have had many discussions with other BO's and their problems with the FC demanding more than what the code requires simply because they can and have gotten away with it for so many years.
Sounds like the current one does what we all should do or strive for.

So if you have a hood and extinguishing system sit a nozzle pointed into the oven

System goes off seems like end if use for oven

And oven would have to totally rebuilt ???

I don't think you would point it into the oven, but rather install it over the entire appliance. Just like you would with any kitchen appliance requiring a hood.

Cheaper to replace an oven then a building.

Have you ever seen a wood stove over heat

I have seen them glowing red when someone left the door to the fire box ajar.

mtlogcabin said:
Cheaper to replace an oven then a building.Have you ever seen a wood stove over heat

Yep

High Desert said:
I don't think you would point it into the oven, but rather install it over the entire appliance. Just like you would with any kitchen appliance requiring a hood.
Waste of a good nozzle

Do you run the vent a hood exhaust fan 24 hours a day while the oven has embers

cda said:
So if you have a hood and extinguishing system sit a nozzle pointed into the ovenSystem goes off seems like end if use for oven

And oven would have to totally rebuilt ???
A quick glance through my Ansul and Amerex install manuals do not show a listing for an oven. Normally, in case of an oven fire, I tell the customer to shut the door. But, the mfg of the suppresion system may give you a letter making some suggestions as to protection of a wood fired oven. Amerex does list protection for a "natural and mesquite charcoal, chips and chunks and log charbroiler. Cooking surface of 28.5 inches x 24 inches, depth of 6 inches for charcoal, chips and chunks. Depth limited to 3 layers of logs or 11 inch maximum stacked height. Amerex lists a single nozzle of 1.5 flow points protecting the char broiler, but you can always add more nozzles. I expect Ansul has similar protection available. The hood and duct protection would also be something to ask about, as well as fire detection.

cda said:
Guess this indoor cooker would not be allowed in some of your cities http://hdrgolf.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/salt-lick.jpg
If someone chose to install this cooking appliance in my jurisdiction, first, a Type I hood would be required. Second, I would request manufacturer's specifications and installation instructions for this cooking appliance, as IMC 917.1 requires such an appliance to be "listed, labeled [uL 2162], and installed in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions"; not to mention that the picture provided gives very little information about this appliance. Third, the design of the fire suppression system, per IMC Section 509, would require "approval" from our Fire Marshal, as they will enforce the requirements of the International Fire Code (which covers these requirements), not I, as I am simply an MEP plans examiner; one not claiming expertise in the intricacies of fire protection systems. I shall leave that design approval in their capable hands. In short, this "cooker" might be permitted to be installed if it can meet the requirements of the codes that have been adopted in my jurisdiction.

I get the stove pipe on my allnighter a lil red from time to time...but never the stove.....

mtlogcabin said:
Cheaper to replace an oven then a building.Have you ever seen a wood stove over heat

One thing I'm seeing here, there appears to be confusion over the hood versus combustion venting. I'm pretty sure two separate vent systems would be required for this appliance. One for the combustion smoke and a type I system for the cooking vapors.

I do not know of any appliance I have seen under a hood that had 2 vent systems.

fireguy said:
I do not know of any appliance I have seen under a hood that had 2 vent systems.
Actually ...... the International Fuel Gas Code (I know, this has nothing to do with solid-fuel burning cooking appliances), has provisions for commercial cooking appliance venting, Section 505 and section 623.6. These could/would require a vent system under a hood system.

mtlogcabin said:

Used to get the side of the firebox on a cookstove red with to much grey madrone.

Funny that I just had someone asking about installing one of these in a new restaurant, just like the one in the picture. They intend to have the bulk of it outside, with the face of it on an interior wall. I think they intend to build an enclosure since these aren't rated for exterior, but interesting question about the hood requirement.

The cross section drawing looks like the hood is part of the unit???

Wood Stove Equipment/Appliance that have been posted here. Any indication at what temperature they are operating at?

The instruction/manual sheets I have seen referenced do not indicated the operating temperature.

The traditional Napoli ovens of the pizzeria I go to operate at 800F.

With no door on the front, there is a constant draft exhausting the cooking exhaust out through its flue. Like a traditional fire place.

But I suspect the appliance you have depicted here are not operating in the same manner.