• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

hood required for wood fired pizza oven

Except for the fact that water suppresion is not addressed in the IFC or IBC 904, is there any reason why water could not be used as the suppressing agent since grease is not the factor but type of fuel is?

= o =

rnapier,

Respectfully asking, ...but why would grease not be considered as part

of the propagating fuel source?

Solid fuel, "yes", ...but I'm thinking grease deposits on the interior

of the masonry, from all of the previous pizzas, will require a

compliant type of suppression system.

cda,

The pictured oven will [ typically ] require a custom built hood!

= o =

cda said:
Still trying to find a vent a hood to fit this wood oven
cda I do not see where a hood is required, the manufacturer has designed the oven to be direct vented. If you start with IMC section 917 it tells you to look for UL 2162, that document Commercial Wood Fired Baking Ovens Refractory Sends you to NFPA 96 Standards for Ventilation Control. Chapter 14 Solid Fuel Cooking Operation.

14.1.1 Where solid fuel cooking equipment is required by the manufacturer to have a natural draft the vent shall comply with 14.4

14.4 sends you to Chapter 7 for installation type depending on building elevation.

north star said:
= o =rnapier,

Respectfully asking, ...but why would grease not be considered as part

of the propagating fuel source?

Solid fuel, "yes", ...but I'm thinking grease deposits on the interior

of the masonry, from all of the previous pizzas, will require a

compliant type of suppression system.

cda,

The pictured oven will [ typically ] require a custom built hood!

= o =
What I am referring to is the pizza oven needs a hood because of the fuel source. A pizza oven is not considered a grease producing appliance per IMC.

lunatick said:
Wood Stove Equipment/Appliance that have been posted here. Any indication at what temperature they are operating at?The instruction/manual sheets I have seen referenced do not indicated the operating temperature.

The traditional Napoli ovens of the pizzeria I go to operate at 800F.

With no door on the front, there is a constant draft exhausting the cooking exhaust out through its flue. Like a traditional fire place.

But I suspect the appliance you have depicted here are not operating in the same manner.
Operating temps for wood fired pizza ovens vary according to the style of cooking. Typical floor temps will range from 550 - 750.

All pizzerias making traditional Napoli pizza will tell you they cook at 800F but none of them can tell you where that is measured. Typically they mount a thermometer through the side of the oven and measure air temp which is somewhat meaningless. A Neaoplitan pizza cooks in 90 seconds requiring a large rolling flame and 725-750F on the floor as measured by an infrared thermometer set to E=.95-.98.

A wood burning pizza oven is the opposite of a fireplace. A Fireplace is low, shallow and the flames and exhaust products go straight up the flue in the rear. A pizza oven is tall, deep, with the fire far from the flue. The flue only extracts the exhaust gases. No real comparison.

The door will typically have several positions but when fully closed the bake chamber has no combustion air but the flue will be open to the room.

Gregg Harris said:
cda I do not see where a hood is required, the manufacturer has designed the oven to be direct vented. If you start with IMC section 917 it tells you to look for UL 2162, that document Commercial Wood Fired Baking Ovens Refractory Sends you to NFPA 96 Standards for Ventilation Control. Chapter 14 Solid Fuel Cooking Operation.14.1.1 Where solid fuel cooking equipment is required by the manufacturer to have a natural draft the vent shall comply with 14.4

14.4 sends you to Chapter 7 for installation type depending on building elevation.
Gregg, I agree. To add more to it:

The oven in question appears to be properly vented per UL 737. Here is an excerpt from their listing guide:

Commercial Cooking Equipment application guide Jan 2012

APPENDIX A

UL COMMERCIAL COOKING EQUIPMENT AND ASSOCIATED SYSTEMS PRODUCT CATEGORIES and STANDARDS

Category Code Category Name Standard Used

LCJX Cooking Appliance, Wood-Fired UL2162, UL737

There is a long trail to follow but testing agencies require a mfg to test to UL 737 (the only standard for years) and Subject 2162 which was developed to demonstrate how to use a Type 1 hood over an oven. In simple terms, 737 is direct vent and 2162 a hood system.

Working your way through 737 to NFPA 96 which will have you vent per NFPA 211 you will find:

NFPA 96

14.1.1 Where solid fuel cooking equipment is required by the

manufacturer to have a natural draft, the vent shall comply with

Section 14.4.

14.4 Exhaust for Solid Fuel Cooking. a hood is not required, in

buildings where the duct system is three stories or less in height, a

duct complying with Chapter 7 shall be provided.

14.7.2 Where acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction, solid

fuel cooking appliances constructed of solid masonry or reinforced portland

or refractory cement concrete and vented in accordance with NFPA 211

shall not require fixed automatic fire-extinguishing equipment.

So I would hope that if the oven in question had been tested and listed for a direct vent that an inspector would accept the findings of a Nationally Accredited Testing Lab and use his time to confirm that the chimney is installed per mfg install instructions - the most common cause of fires.

cda said:
Welcome mugDo you mind stating what you do for a living
Thank you. Currently I am consulting but have worked for a wood fired oven company for over a decade. My responsibilities included bringing products to market which meant going through the UL testing. I have found this forum helpful so rather than stand at the side and watch the confusion I thought I would join and offer what I can.

Mugman said:
Thank you. Currently I am consulting but have worked for a wood fired oven company for over a decade. My responsibilities included bringing products to market which meant going through the UL testing. I have found this forum helpful so rather than stand at the side and watch the confusion I thought I would join and offer what I can.
Good to have you here and participating. Welcome!

Mugman! You must have been successful because every time I turn around there is a new wood fired pizza place in San Diego!

JPohling said:
Mugman! You must have been successful because every time I turn around there is a new wood fired pizza place in San Diego!
I have never had wood fired pizza and hear that it is very good. Dinning options here are pretty limited.

Mugman said:
Was in SD for Easter mom brother sister live there

To crowded or else I would be there