• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

tonyflux

Hello,
I am looking to calculate the HVAC size for a fitness center in Orlando, Florida. I appreciate it if you can provide a link to guidance in calculations for a GYM.
It will be AHU on a flat roof.

Thanks

Hello,
I am looking to calculate the HVAC size for a fitness center in Orlando, Florida. I appreciate it if you can provide a link to guidance in calculations for a GYM.

Thank
Hello,

Thanks
It is small 3000 SF, part of a abuilding

You need the U-values for all the envelope (walls, floor or perimeter, doors, windows, roof), areas of glass facing east, west, or south (for solar gain), and number of occupants (to determine body heat gain and ventilation). My guess based only on area would be somewhere in the range of 5 to 15 tons.

I feel like you are out of your depth.

If not, a good place to start would be the ASHRAE Fundamentals textbook.

ASHRAE is a good one, I've used ACCA Manual J - They have some speedsheets that can be used in certain circumstances. A gym use is unique due to the activity taking place and how much heat and moisture is generated, and if you have a pool that further adds to complexity. As CDA suggested, a professional is a way to go in this situation.

Latent heat as in lots of bodies, that is a difficult number to derive at. I think a standing body is 50 BTU's an hour...Though I agree in that environment there are lots of little things that will add up and change the numbers. I concur, ASHRAE would be the place to go.

Office work is 400 BTUH per person. A gym would probably vary from around 800 BTUH for light exercise to keep limber to 1800 BTUH for more strenuous exercise.

NOTE: this table is in Watts, multiply by 3.4 to get BTUH.

Office work is 400 BTUH per person. A gym would probably vary from around 800 BTUH for light exercise to keep limber to 1800 BTUH for more strenuous exercise.

NOTE: this table is in Watts, multiply by 3.4 to get BTUH.
I thought 500 BTU's put stupidly put down 50, thanks, I knew It was a littler hotter than expected....

There are latent heat and sensible heat components given off by people. The designer needs to take that into account. If the HVAC equipment does not provide sufficient latent heat cooling, there could be humidity problems. If not enough sensible cooling, then it could be too warm or hot.

ASHRAE had a table indicating the heat generated by people for various activities - sitting, light office work, standing, walking, heavy work, eating (probably accounts for hot food), etc.