• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IBC 2018 Horizontal Sliding Doors 1010.1.4.3

Ulysses Gires

I have a question regarding 2 sections of this code, related to horizontal sliding doors.
This one is pretty straightforward:
The force required to operate the door shall not exceed 30 pounds (133 N) to set the door in motion and 15 pounds (67 N) to close the door or open it to the minimum required width.

This next one is where I have the questions:
The door shall be openable with a force not to exceed 15 pounds (67 N) when a force of 250 pounds (1100 N) is applied perpendicular to the door adjacent to the operating device.

Can someone give me a real life example of this one? How am I allowed to slide the door open with 30lbf in the first case, but only 15lbf with 250lbf pressure against the door?

Thanks in advance,
Ulysses

You are looking at a won door,,, as one example

1010.1.4.3 Special Purpose Horizontal Sliding, Accordion or Folding Doors

In other than Group H occupancies, special purpose horizontal sliding, accordion or folding door assemblies permitted to be a component of a means of egress in accordance with Exception 6 to Section 1010.1.2 shall comply with all of the following criteria:

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, but I do not understand the response. What is a "won" door? I have been in the door industry for some time and nobody has been able to explain this particular code to me. The two sections seem to be in conflict with each other.

From the Commentary:

"Additionally, the door must be openable even if a force of 250 pounds (1100 N) is being applied perpendicular to it, as may occur if a group of people were pushing on it."
So, in a fit of panic, as everyone rushes for the door and pushes, trying to get out, the door can still be operated.

From the Commentary:

"Additionally, the door must be openable even if a force of 250 pounds (1100 N) is being applied perpendicular to it, as may occur if a group of people were pushing on it."
So, in a fit of panic, as everyone rushes for the door and pushes, trying to get out, the door can still be operated.

That I get, but it says it can open with only 15lbf in that case, whereas the preceding section of code says it can open with 30lbf with no force applied to it. Also, why the reference to the operating device? what do they consider an operating device?

That I get, but it says it can open with only 15lbf in that case, whereas the preceding section of code says it can open with 30lbf with no force applied to it. Also, why the reference to the operating device? what do they consider an operating device?
You still have to comply with #3, so it requires that no more than 30 lbs of force is needed to set it in motion, regardless of the pressure put against the door, but then you must be able to continue to open the door with a 15 lb force, even when there is a 250 lb lateral force applied to the door's surface.

Yes, this could have been stated in one item and not two, but that's the code for ya!

Thanks for the reply, but I do not understand the response. What is a "won" door? I have been in the door industry for some time and nobody has been able to explain this particular code to me. The two sections seem to be in conflict with each other.

Sorry forgot to punch the right buttons