• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ICC's perspective on 'work area' and its effect on IEBC compliance.

Work area is not defined by the actual wall that is depicted. The work area is the area needed to perform the work .......for example a plan depicts a wall of 16 feet in height..... the wall will have gypsum placed on both sides for full height.

The workers don't stay in the four inch width of the wall to perform work. Are they using scissor lifts, ladders, scaffolding, what?

New HVAC system - How is the duct work going to be installed? Does it magically appear in the open web trusses overhead? Does it float up their and attach itself as required by the codes for support?

Folks,

Common sense should apply........ And be realistic. As the interpretations rendered by ICC always state - this is their interpretation and it may differ than the AHJ at the local level.

As a plan reviewer in the past, I would often call the contractor and ask him/her to realistically tell me how much room or area they needed to perform the work. That defined the work area...... If the contractors work area was smaller than what the designer stated, I always took the most restrictive approach to maximize the SAFETY of the public that we are suppose to serve and protect.

Bob, you're making my point for me.

Builder Bob said:
Work area is not defined by the actual wall that is depicted.
ahhh, but this argument has been made in previous discussions of work area.

Builder Bob said:
The workers don't stay in the four inch width of the wall to perform work. Are they using scissor lifts, ladders, scaffolding, what?
yup. i would agree with that assessment.

Builder Bob said:
Folks,Common sense should apply........ And be realistic. As the interpretations rendered by ICC always state - this is their interpretation and it may differ than the AHJ at the local level.
you will incur the wrath of the design community with crazy talk like that. your motives could be called into question.

Builder Bob said:
As a plan reviewer in the past, I would often call the contractor and ask him/her to realistically tell me how much room or area they needed to perform the work. That defined the work area...... If the contractors work area was smaller than what the designer stated, I always took the most restrictive approach to maximize the SAFETY of the public that we are suppose to serve and protect.
agreed. that's what we do in our office.

and that's why this is such a valid discussion. IEBC talks about 'work area' and 'reconfigured space' but does a really crappy job defining what those terms mean. we have recently adopted IEBC and are attempting to formulate a workable, consistent, and enforceable interpretation.

ICCs interp is a load of rubbish, IMHO. sets up the FP triggers as false idols- looks like they care about FP upgrades, but then interp in a way that they never can be reached.

Mr Softy said:
ICCs interp is a load of rubbish, IMHO. sets up the FP triggers as false idols- looks like they care about FP upgrades, but then interp in a way that they never can be reached.
I would say that interp is the way it is because of the poor code language and definitions. The Inconsistent Code Council is just as subceptible to writing unenforceable code as your department is. Good luck, and be careful.

IEBC talks about 'work area' and 'reconfigured space' but does a really crappy job defining what those terms mean. we have recently adopted IEBC and are attempting to formulate a workable, consistent, and enforceable interpretation.
That is good and exactly what the building department should do with regards to the application of "work areas" definition in your jurisdiction. What ever is decided for your jurisdiction just be consistant in the application of it.

104.1 General.

The code official is hereby authorized and directed to enforce the provisions of this code. The code official shall have the authority to render interpretations of this code and to adopt policies and procedures in order to clarify the application of its provisions. Such interpretations, policies, and procedures shall be in compliance with the intent and purpose of this code. Such policies and procedures shall not have the effect of waiving requirements specifically provided for in this code.

Papio Bldg Dept said:
I would say that interp is the way it is because of the poor code language and definitions. The Inconsistent Code Council is just as subceptible to writing unenforceable code as your department is. Good luck, and be careful.
that's certainly true.

our department doesn't 'write' code language. we're trying to enforce the ICCs language in a way that reflects real construction. and keeps the state philosophy and history of FP upgrades when applicable.

mtlogcabin said:
That is good and exactly what the building department should do with regards to the application of "work areas" definition in your jurisdiction. What ever is decided for your jurisdiction just be consistant in the application of it.104.1 General.

The code official is hereby authorized and directed to enforce the provisions of this code. The code official shall have the authority to render interpretations of this code and to adopt policies and procedures in order to clarify the application of its provisions. Such interpretations, policies, and procedures shall be in compliance with the intent and purpose of this code. Such policies and procedures shall not have the effect of waiving requirements specifically provided for in this code.
this is good. except.

this section has been struck through amendment. promulgation and interpretation is the jurisdiction of the state.

Mr Softy said:
this is good. except.this section has been struck through amendment. promulgation and interpretation is the jurisdiction of the state.
What the state doesn't know may keep you from :banghd

Seriously if the state will not give you direction/clarification in this area then adopt your own policy. Your chances of being challenged are low and if you are it will force the state to address your concerns of how to consistantly apply the numbers to a work area description. Either way you have something to work with now and in the future

Mr Softy said:
this is good. except. this section has been struck through amendment. promulgation and interpretation is the jurisdiction of the state.
And this thread and the suggestion of hiring a person charged with interpreting the code as a consultant is why.

Yes you've already established that you are doing things you don't want the state to know about.